• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain lube

I use WD40 chain degreaser and WD40 chain lube. It was on offer so I though I'd try it.

I clean, scrub and re-lube my chain every time I give the bike a really good clean.

This is always after the bike has got wet in the rain or been ridden on wet roads, if I'm lucky enough not to get wet and mucky then I still clean the bike about every 4 weeks.

Btw, I'm not OCD about cleaning, in fact I don't really enjoy it tbh, but I get immense pleasure from riding a Spick and span bike.:cool:

I do have a centre stand, I declined it as an accessory but soon regretted it and got one fitted after about 3 months of ownership.

Is there a smaller "travel size" chain lube that is effective? The regular size (14-15 oz) spray can takes up a lot of valuable space. How about a non-aerosol drip type bottle?. Does this deserve a separate thread?

The DuPont Chain Saver is sold in 3 oz aerosol travel size at most Walmarts.

AFAIK, WD40 will destroy the chain and cut the life significantly.

For an easy alternative, carry a small squeez bottle of thick gear oil, like 90W.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get immense pleasure from riding a Spick and span bike

oi you can't say that on here! that's blasphemy , I mean you actually wash ya bike
fainting-smiley-emoticon.gif

I recommend Liquid Wrench Chain Lube for less than $4.00 at Walmart, 11 oz can. There are many products that folks highly recommended that may be superior however I noticed that no one commented on this product that I use. This chain lube also contains the anti-slinging additives which solidifies best if I let the chain set an hour or more before riding... and this product is SAFE for O-ring chains. My chain guard has virtually no oil blobs nor gunk slung to the underside of the guard. I have been using this product for over 5 years. My NC700 has over 22000 miles and I have only minimally tightened my chain three times approx. 3mm total (equivalent to 3 rotations of the rear axle positioning/retaining bolts). I still have tons of remaining chain length remaining, and there is "0" slop in the chain when pulling the chain at the back of the rear sprocket Also, the chain has no side flex.

I typically lube it at least every 2 to 3 fuel fill-ups, unless on a trip or I commute during heavy rain for several days. I never use a precleaner/degreaser. I only use cut up cotton rags (approx. 4"x4") and a rubber glove (left hand) cleaning approx. 8" of chain at a time, with the cover removed. Occasionally I will use a "toothbrush" (not a brass brush) to help remove an area that might have slight buildup by a roller. Also I have cut out a piece of cardboard that I place between the rim and the chain to avoid getting any lube on the tire or rim, in the event that I accidentally press the nozzle too hard and a forceful stream comes out. I apply a "foamy stream" , created by pressing very lightly on the nozzle. I apply the foamy lube stream to the links for the 8" or so length on both sides, then run a small foamy stream on the rollers. Then I use the cotton rag to wipe off excess dirt and ensure every roller rotates smoothly as I slide the rag under the chain. I also flex the links slightly to ensure they are not bound up. If there is any issue with either, I reapply more lube on any noted problem areas and exercise the link or roller until freed up. I perform this process to the entire chain, changing and rotating the cotton rags as they get dirty.

I repeat the process one more time to the chain and then finish up by cleaning out the toothed areas of the rear sprocket. This may be overkill for some folks, but after prematurely wearing a chain on my prior bike due to inadequate chain preventive maintenance, I decided that this was what I wanted to do. Incidentally, I am currently using my second can over the 22k miles, so if applied moderately, it last for quite some time.

I suspect people who bothers with chain lubes will actually convince themselves that they work. Myself included.
I also believe that it is the riding style of the biker which contributes more or less to chain slacks. If you keep pulling hard, the metal chain is gonna stretch more than a guy who conscientiously puts chain lube on every weekend.
Am I right?

My stock chain started to REALLY bind up ( tight spots ) around 16,000 miles.We were on the WABDR when this happened and all I had was a can of Belray chain lube.I had to stop every 50+ miles or so and adjust/lube the chain.After I got home I went back to my routine of using motor oil to lube the chain, I got another 2,000 miles out if the chain and only adjusted it one time.

I don't ride fast ,I ride far...

I suspect people who bothers with chain lubes will actually convince themselves that they work. Myself included.
I also believe that it is the riding style of the biker which contributes more or less to chain slacks. If you keep pulling hard, the metal chain is gonna stretch more than a guy who conscientiously puts chain lube on every weekend.
Am I right?

Chains are metal. They don't stretch; they wear. Cleanliness and lube will reduce the wear, if done properly. If done improperly, it could be detrimental to the chain life.

I use Campion chain lube multi-purpose spray grease. To clean I use wd40 on a rag and wipe off what little crud is on it. And also clean spockets with wd on a rag. Oh and always make sure it is ajusted right!!!

Last edited:
There are a lot of good chain lubes on the market. You have a "O" or "X" ring chain. Make sure the lube you use does not damage the rubber "O" or "X" ring. That is usually printed on the container of the product. If container does not say for use with either "O" or "X" ring chains, I would not use the product.

If you were racing a 1000cc superbike on a track all day, the chain would probably get pretty warm. On our bikes, heat will probably never be an issue for a chain. The point is, spray the chain lube on after riding. What little extra heat is in the chain may help to lower the viscosity of the lube and help it creep into the nooks and crannies. Also, it gives the lube a chance to cool/dry before riding again, to minimize fling-off.

May I add that cleaning (deep cleaning) a chain and then re-lubing it with nice thick lube (evenly spread), is a most satisfying job which is easily done by any newbie etc.

Me?
No time to waste....I'd rather just slap on more lube and then go for a ride.

Why I can’t get my chain hot or smokin’?

Sorry I was not more specific. I got a little excited. I meant when the chain is hot. I usually do mine after leaving work and stopping at the gas station right by my house which is a 30 minute ride. I lube it every other fuel tank. That is unless it needs cleaned which really isn't that often. Keep in mind though I ride on the interstate 95% of the time.

This is what I use. Recommended by my dealer. It doesn't get tossed all over and I always spray it on when the chain is smokin hot.

Motul Chain Lube Road - Motorcycle Superstore

Thanks for the link! I had done a search before using google too, but could only find the racing grade stuff. I bought a can of the road-lube accidently up in Eureka Springs when I forgot my Motul racing stuff. I liked it better. I ran out, and switched to the new(er) DuPont chain saver, but it only lasts about 100-150 miles.
The only downside I've found, is that a good Florida downpour strips it right off. :(

Back