• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain lube

Good luck !!.
I did this same test with my Vstrom ( I was being stupid and lazy ) and after 8,000 miles my chain started kinking and it was shot.After that I used a LubeMan and got about 13,000 miles but it was to messy so I went back to semi regular manual lubing and got around 11,00-12,000 miles out of the next one.
I have a friend with a DL650 that cleans and lubes his chain after every ride ( even if it's a 50 mile ride ).Not only does his chain look like it was just put on but at 60,000 miles he's on his second chain,the stock one lasted 40,000 miles!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW! That's impressive.

I know a guy who used to have tires last that long, but he rode so slow that we accused him of having bugs splattered on the back of his helmet because they couldn't get slowed down before flying into him. An impeccably careful and meticulous rider/owner can do amazing things. I am not one of those.

Since he kept it cleaned and lubed, there is no way to know whether it was cleaning, lubing, or both that caused his result. Also, it is a good data point, but it is only one data point. Scientifically valid results have to be repeatable. I think you will find cleaning (and aligment / tension) to be more important than lubing for an o-ring chain. I intend to keep mine clean, aligned, and adjusted. The last time I cleaned it there was grit on the chain and sprockets. I think it was the lube holding it there. My bet is that it will live a normal to exceptional service life by being kept clean.

I guess we'll know in a couple of years (or sooner if it fails).

I use a GREASE NINJA chain lube tool. It saves a lot of lube by minimizing overspray. The little tube is a pain to keep hooked up. If you can find a more limber tube the tool would be perfect

It is, indeed. But I would be curious to know how much he spent on the products it took to get that much extra life out of it and if it wouldn't have been cheaper to have just replaced chains a couple of times instead.

I would like to think I could keep mine spotless, but time is more precious to me.

Motorcycle Consumer News, in it's July 2013 issue, directly compared DuPont Chain-Saver to the older DuPont Multi-Use Lubricant. They mentioned past satisfaction with the Multi-Use product, but received unsatisfactory results from the Chain-Saver product. Their conclusion was that Chain-Saver is not recommended by them, citing issues with messy runniness, waste during application, and short lived lubrication results.

Greg

On my 2009 G650gs I just traded in for the Nc700, I did normal chain maintenance every 400-500 miles: cleaned the chain with kerosine (sp?) and small wire brush. Wiped cleaned, and then either used Lithium grease or Honda chain lube. Once every 6 months I would coat the chain with high temp boat bearing grease. I got 32,000 miles on the chain and sprockets and the only reason I changed the set was my rear sprocket had points on the teeth. The front sprocket still looked like new (changed it anyways) and I changed the chain even though there was no stretch and no kinks in the change. If you have to change one part of the component, might as well change all 3 while you are doing it.

On my 2009 G650gs I just traded in for the Nc700, I did normal chain maintenance every 400-500 miles: cleaned the chain with kerosine (sp?) and small wire brush. Wiped cleaned, and then either used Lithium grease or Honda chain lube. Once every 6 months I would coat the chain with high temp boat bearing grease. I got 32,000 miles on the chain and sprockets and the only reason I changed the set was my rear sprocket had points on the teeth. The front sprocket still looked like new (changed it anyways) and I changed the chain even though there was no stretch and no kinks in the change. If you have to change one part of the component, might as well change all 3 while you are doing it.

You da man. Chain king.
:p

I just ride and clean when it looks very dirty. And I lube every now and then.
It is easier this way, after say 20k km, I'd change the whole set.
:p

Did my first chain clean today on my NC700X

Used the Dupont Motorcycle Degreaser from Walfart, Problem can sprayed for about 10 seconds through the straw, then started shooting out of the top of the can, went back to Wallyworld exchanged that can for a good one????

At the waloshxt I checked the other cans of degreaser most of them were bad by removing the spray can cover cap about two table spoons of liquid came out after going through about 15 cans I found one that was at least not completely saturated in drgreaser and pukes out two table spoons of liquid at me.

they did have a non aerosol version of this degreaser, for $5. i bought that and a spray bottle, i will try that next time

So anyway got home started cleaning the chain again, thinking how much easier it would be having a center stand, that is next on my list.

I'm not a WD40 zealot - I'd gladly use another product that works well and minimizes chain cleaning effort. Most chain cleaners/degreasers I've come accross suggest rinsing the chain with water after application and before lubing. That's at least a 3 step process, if no chain scrubing is done before or chain wiping/drying after the water rinse. Furthermore, putting water on a metal chain is counter-intuitive to me - shouldn't that be followed by a Water Displacement application (yet another step)? Using WD40 simply saves me the degrease, rinse and dry steps.

Since I live on a dirt road, my chain starts collecting dust as soon as I leave the garage. I'm sure the accumulated grit accelerates chain/sprocket wear, so I should clean my chain after every ride to maximize chain/sprocket life. That's too much effort for me and would totally ruin the whole motorcycle commuting experience. However, I would likely clean/lube my chain more often if I could get it down to a single step process - spray something on the chain that washes away the accumulated dust, provides sufficient external chain lubrication (if necessary, as Lee and others have questioned) and minimizes dust accumulation.

Other than the lubrication, WD40 seems to do this quite well. Another light oil based product may also clean the dust off (e.g. Dupont chain saver), but would then attract more dust as soon as the tire rolls down the dirt road. The Maxima chain wax I use isn't suppose to attract dirt as well as oil, but it doesn't clean the chain very well by itself. So for now, I have a 3 step process: 1) spray the chain with WD40, 2) wipe off the chain, 3) spray the chain with chain wax. The second step is the messiest and takes the longest amount of time, but I believe is necessary for the wax to stick to the chain.

I'm open to try other chain cleaning/lubing products, that is if I can find them and they're not more expensive that what I using now.

This is what I did this morning, exactly !!! I normally just wax the chain (no cleaning) BUT today I noticed my chain was a little dirty (rode some offroad while on my trip) . Sooooo I looked around and grabbed the WD-40 soaked the chain down and used my new chain brush, then used a towel to dry all the grime off the chain/rear sprocket. Then with the bike on the centre stand running in 1st gear (to warm the chain up abit) , I used chain wax to re-lube the chain. Looks good !!! :eek:

This is what I did this morning, exactly !!! I normally just wax the chain (no cleaning) BUT today I noticed my chain was a little dirty (rode some offroad while on my trip) . Sooooo I looked around and grabbed the WD-40 soaked the chain down and used my new chain brush, then used a towel to dry all the grime off the chain/rear sprocket. Then with the bike on the centre stand running in 1st gear (to warm the chain up abit) , I used chain wax to re-lube the chain. Looks good !!! :eek:

:eek: I'm not going to post the gory, graphic photos of people that have lost their fingers or finger tips lubing a chain with the engine running and the bike in gear. You can easily find those pictures on the Web if you want to see a reason not to do it that way. Just sayin'. Be careful.

Last edited:
I'm running a product called Red and Ready spray on grease. Get it at work for free. Never clean my chains. Before I got the free lube I used old 90wt that I had drained out of my other vehicles. My chains have always lasted a long long time. 90 wt is pretty nasty and smells so definitely not for everyone. The point is, keep it lubed with something and the chain will return very good service.

:eek: I'm not going to post the gory, graphic photos of people that have lost their fingers or finger tips lubing a chain with the engine running and the bike in gear. You can easily find those pictures on the Web if you want to see a reason not to do it that way. Just sayin'. Be careful.

I appreciate the concern and I am aware of those incidents and try to be careful. BUT I cleaned the chain with the bike off and just rotating the tire with my hand !!! THEN I started the bike to warm the chain ....and then SPRAYED the chain wax on !! :)

Motul Chain Cleaner first and then Motul Chain Lube both safe for use on the chain, as for the centre stand it is a very cost effective and useful thing I highly recommend getting one, every 500 miles or if the chain gets extremely dirty based on where you are riding do it as soon as you can, the girt is what destroys the chain,

Back