• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What mtorcycle did you use for your driving test?

Well, I say if that's the bike you intend to ride, I think you should be able to demonstrate that you can handle it per the test requirements. If you can't pass right away, that's quite alright, but it means that further training and practice are needed. Training and practice is always a good thing even for experienced riders.

Greg
Well said Greg.

I pulled up on my 1965 Honda 90.... Took the written, He asked how long have you been riding... I said 6 months....... He said good enough.......... That was it.......... This way back in 1974 0r 75......................

MSF safety course...sooo a Rebel 250....Originally back in 89 I used my Yamaha 650 special....Practice makes perfect on the tight radius drills. Dont get discouraged.

Agree w/ cyclerosis though....MSF course is worth the money. You'll learn things that will help you be a better rider IMO.

Let's see... I admit to you that we CAN NOT ALL be as good as you .... and your answer is "I don't think so." That doesn't even make sense.

Wow... I woke up a monster ! You said "We can't ALL be as good as you are, Frank.", I replied "I don't think so my friend.". That meant: "YES, everyone can be good at it", with practice, because I consider all of this as "BASIC MANOEUVERS", which everyone *SHOULD* easily be able to do. That should become 2nd nature, as it is for walking. If you cannot slowly ride in a circle without feeling the need to put a feet on the ground, you need to practive again before hitting the road, but that's just my opinion.

The exam has very little to do with riding a motorcycle safely.

My guess is that the test is as it is because:
1) you can't send out DMV employees on a ride-along like you do in a car. (It's too dangerous)
2) you have to know if the rider can stear his motorcycle with ANY accuracy within the confines of the DMV parking lot, so whatever you want a rider to do, it has to be in a small space.
3) you have to have some kind of test, because you can't do a a real test.

If you think that an exam has little to do with riding a motorcycle, well that's up to you. Here in Canada, the tests are A LOT more complex than yours, so maybe that's what biased my replies. Here is what we need to do in order:

1- Get the theorical stuff (i think 9 hours or so) out of a mandatory motorcycle school
2- Pass the theorical exam and succeed before step 3
3- 22 hours of practice with the riding school in a parking lot (circles, emergency stops, counter steering, ...)
4- Pass the DVM parking lot exam
5- Let 9 months pass to practice on the road with an experienced rider following you (you cannot go out on your own)
6- Pass a 2nd DVM exam on the road. They follow you with their car and give you instructions over a radio.

IF you succeed to all 6 steps, then you have your Motorcycle driving permit. That entire process takes usually 2 years because of the winter.

I think I've now given my opinion on this subject trying to answer your original post respectfully, so I'm done with it. Put the same effort practicing that you put writing in this thread and you should be good to go. I'm going out riding, it's not raining :)

All the best, and good luck with the exam.

I agree that the MSF course is an excellent investment for anybody who wants to ride on the street. When I took the course with my daughter, I used their KLR250 and stood on the pegs for the box and figure eights. P.O.C. I love the lean the NCX gets on and I have no doubt I could do the course, butt on the seat with it. Try standing up and just practicing on a an empty parking lot on a Sunday afternoon. This bike rides itself if given the chance.

I took the MSF course 3 years ago. We rode Honda Rebel 250s. I thought it was tough because I'm 6' and 275# A bit large for the bike I think. Anyway I feel the MSF course is well worth the money. I am glad I took it. I wish I had taken it 30 years ago when I had my Suzuki 400. I might not have wrecked it the first week I had it. I think it's an excellent idea to practice the low speed drills suggested earlier in this thread.

If you think that an exam has little to do with riding a motorcycle, well that's up to you. Here in Canada, the tests are A LOT more complex than yours, so maybe that's what biased my replies. Here is what we need to do in order:

1- Get the theorical stuff (i think 9 hours or so) out of a mandatory motorcycle school
2- Pass the theorical exam and succeed before step 3
3- 22 hours of practice with the riding school in a parking lot (circles, emergency stops, counter steering, ...)
4- Pass the DVM parking lot exam
5- Let 9 months pass to practice on the road with an experienced rider following you (you cannot go out on your own)
6- Pass a 2nd DVM exam on the road. They follow you with their car and give you instructions over a radio.

IF you succeed to all 6 steps, then you have your Motorcycle driving permit. That entire process takes usually 2 years because of the winter.

I think I've now given my opinion on this subject trying to answer your original post respectfully, so I'm done with it. Put the same effort practicing that you put writing in this thread and you should be good to go. I'm going out riding, it's not raining :)

All the best, and good luck with the exam.

Wow, hows the driving license tests? Does your country / State not like motorcycles?

I am in agreement of the MSF class as well. Even if you have rode before they will brush up on all the skills and help with any bad habits you have. I know in VA they are trying to make it that the MSF class is the only way you can get the M endorsement.

I'm a big fan of the MSF course. I'm even thinking of sending my daughters through the class this summer. Not because I want them to get motorcycles ( I told them I was all for it after they get 10 years experience on 4 wheels first.), but because I think it will make them better drivers.

My state started requiring a motorcycle endorsement back in the 80's I think. If you already had a license, there was a period where you could get the endorsement for nothing. After that grace period you either had to pass the driving test or the MSF course. Then in 2008 Florida started mandating the MSF course. I'm of the opinion that it's one of the few good things that 'Flori-duh' has gotten right. I know it's Big Brother trying to legislate stupidity, but we do have share the road.

Funny story. My 77 year old father just sold his 2007 Honda Rebel to a 45 year old guy who just took the MSF course. He wanted the mighty Rebel because it was the bike it took the course on and he knew he could handle it. While I'm sure he will out grow it as surely as he grew out of diapers, I'm equally sure he's a lot safer than just running out and buying that Road King.

Mike

passed my test on a lambretta scooter in 1968.

not dis one but like it.

Lambretta%201962%20Series%203.JPG

Boy do those pics bring back memories. A light green Lambretta was my first ride. Got a license at 14 in Alabama at the time.

From what I read on this Forum the MSF courses in other states must be better than the one in Oregon. The TU250 they provided was terrible; kept stalling at idle, had a temperamental throttle and grabby brakes. The instructors were not all that helpful; kept giving contradictory instructions. I missed on the test by 1 point. Went down to the DMV test lot and measured all the markings for the different skills. Came home and drew them on the street by my house with sidewalk chalk and then practiced each afternoon for a few days. Also watched the Learn to Ride Like a Pro DVD several times. Took my NC to DMV took the test and passed with only a 1 point reduction. I had never ridden a bike as big as the NC but it was much easier to ride on the course than the smaller TU250. Fortunately at my age I could still take the DMV test. If that had not been possible I probably would not be riding yet since the MSF course takes the winter off in Oregon. But I've been able to ride since last October and enjoying every chance I get. Also, while it is perfectly legal to take the DMV test on a smaller bike, I do think a person should have to take it on the bike they will actually be riding. Otherwise, what's the point?

Boy do those pics bring back memories. A light green Lambretta was my first ride. Got a license at 14 in Alabama at the time.

You had to do a driving test in Bama? In the early 80s all I had to do was pass the written auto test for the auto learners permit to get the motorcycle endorsement.

I took the motorcycle test in New York in 1970 on a friends Honda cl175, I had a HD Rapido. In order to take the test we had to put the bike on a trailer to get to DMV and we needed the car and driver to follow the person taking the test. The examiner rode in the car as an observer. This was on city streets in White Plains, NY. We were told that 90% failed the first time, NY was not motorcycle friendy. The test was approximately 20 minutes long with as I said both a lot of real streets and a little obstacle course. We were young and clean cut, not riding big bikes and we both passed that day.

When I moved to Tucson, Arizona in 1975 I had to take the Arizona MC exams, it was at Tucson Greyhound Park's parking lot. I rode my Yamaha DS7 250, the examiner had me ride to the end of the parking lot and come back to him thru a set of cones set out to create a lane. I stopped on the line at the end of the cones and was waiting for the next instruction when the examiner came over and said that's good you passed!

In 1979, I took the MSF advanced rider class on my GS750. I had a great time and learned quite a bit. By then I had about 100K miles on motorcycles. I would have to say that anyone who cannot pass a basic skills test on an NC700X should take the MSF class.

ed

I've done it twice.

SoCal was 1986 on some kind of small cruiser and again in 2012 (because Florida doesn't recognize bike endorsements from other states and everyone is required to take the MSF course these days) on a well worn Honda Something 250 cruiser that they provided.

The cost of the course in the Tampa area is $189.

Last edited:
I took the test on a 1972 Honda CB 350 back in 89, but had been riding dirt bikes for 6 years prior.

One thing everyone who bought a NEW NCX should be aware of.

Honda will reimburse you for up to $75 on completion of the MSF course (Beginnor OR Experienced rider course) if taken within 12 months of purchase of a new Honda motorcycle.

http://hrca.honda.com/publications/technical-downloads/MSF-Reimbursement-Claim-Form.pdf

There's the form to fill out and send in along with your proof of completion.

Now, I would recommend taking the experienced rider course after having maybe 3 to 6 months riding experience on the NCX.

That will give you time to get very comfortable riding the bike and get to know it well.

If you have never taken the beginner course that is not a requirement to take the experienced rider course.

But you will learn all those low speed tight turns and maneuvers, that will be invaluable for the rest of your riding days.

I was amazed at what I learned after 20 years of riding taking this course.

The Basic rider course is really for Beginners and chances are if you own this bike your probably not a beginner. If it is your first bike after you have had it 3 to 6 months you should still be fine taking the Experienced rider course.

The bonus is that the experienced rider course is usually only $75 or less, so you would get to take it for free after your reimbursement from Honda.

So take advantage of this while you can, it's well worth it. I think you will be very happy you took the course!

Thanks to Stratuner's original post I've read about an amazing variety of experiences and opinions re passing the DMV test and also rider-Ed, ie MSF. It's all been most educational.

Clearly the DMV (for those of us in the US) testing is all over the place standards wise, from barely adequate to semi-ok in some jurisdictions. And while getting through the test is a requirement for all of us, practicing for it, and hopefully passing it, in no way proves that we've mastered many of the skills needed to increase our real world survival chances all that much. As much as I agree emotionally with the sentiment of everyone taking the test on what they plan to ride, the truth is that not much is proven by passing the DMV test, whether on a Vespa or Goldwing. The real test we all face is 'Darwin's Test', and our survival skills, ie road craft skills are tested most times we ride. Beyond automobile defensive driving courses I don't see too many options for bike riders except for the MSF courses and sadly the school of hard knocks. As a bike messenger in London in my younger days I survived as I learnt early to 'read' traffic patterns and drivers. I wish there was an easy way to impart that knowledge.

Meanwhile to Stratuner, hopefully you find the answer to dealing with your DMV demons.

And many thanks to Johnakay for the Lambretta pics. A walk down memory lane indeed!

'81 cm400t. There was about a 15 year period when I didn't own a bike/ride. Each time
my driver's license came up for renewal, the lady would ask "Do you want to keep your endorsement?"
I would always say "Yes." and pay the extra money.

I'm so glad I did. After I got back into riding, I didn't have to jump through the hoops to get
an endorsement again.

Last edited:
The only Bike I had a at that time was a 1986' GL1200 Goldwing 700-Lbs full dresser.

It would have been much easier with a NC700X

Back