• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What mtorcycle did you use for your driving test?

MSF class is not just for beginers. I was a beginer when I took it, but in the class were several very experienced riders who needed it to get on a military base for work. At the start they had an attitude of not needing it but after the class they all admitted they learned enough to make it worth while. After 50,000 miles and 2 years of riding I went back and took the 1 day refresher class. Found out I had learned some bad habits in spite of taking the first class. Now another 2 years and another 50,000 miles more riding and I plan to take a refresher class after I get my NC700 and learn what bad habits I still have or maybe even new ones I have picked up.

II will fail almost certainly fail this test. It's in my nature to fail tests...("well with an attitude like that...".. yes been hearing that my whole life...right before I fail tests.)
This statment, if true, says don't take the test on any bike because you will fail and in fact don't take the MSF class because it has a test at the end that you have to pass to get license.

If slow speed turns are the problem then remember that exagerated head turn thingy really works, and if you don't know what I am talking about you really do need the class license or not.

MSF class is not just for beginers. I was a beginer when I took it, but in the class were several very experienced riders who needed it to get on a military base for work. At the start they had an attitude of not needing it but after the class they all admitted they learned enough to make it worth while. After 50,000 miles and 2 years of riding I went back and took the 1 day refresher class. Found out I had learned some bad habits in spite of taking the first class. Now another 2 years and another 50,000 miles more riding and I plan to take a refresher class after I get my NC700 and learn what bad habits I still have or maybe even new ones I have picked up.

This statment, if true, says don't take the test on any bike because you will fail and in fact don't take the MSF class because it has a test at the end that you have to pass to get license.

If slow speed turns are the problem then remember that exagerated head turn thingy really works, and if you don't know what I am talking about you really do need the class license or not.

Too true. I only wish the MSF courses had been available 40 years ago when I started riding. Whether or not I'd have been smart enough to attend one back then is a good question however.

After we moved to Utah last year my daughter told me she wanted a scooter. It seemed like a nice idea.. Utah's a rider friendly place, good roads, moderate traffic density, and for 7 or 8 months of the year, good/great riding weather. I told her that attending MSF was a precondition. Since the UT DMV required me to retest for my Utah license MC endorsement (but not for a car license interestingly enough), and since I didn't own a bike at the time, I decided I'd do the MSF advanced rider course. I hadn't figured on returning to riding to any great extent, other than the occasional ride on the scooter or bike rental. But.. I had a blast at the MSF, learnt a heap of things about bike control that in 40 years I'd taken for granted, and the seed was sown to buy another bike. None of that would've happened if I hadn't done the course.

The short answer to the original topic is that the MSF provided a Suzuki S40 for the advanced rider course, while my daughter used a Honda Rebel for the basic course. There's no doubt that the S40 is the absolute easiest bike on which to take the course, or the DMV test. Gently disposition, super low COG, simple and basic - A great bike.

And yes, that day I too witnessed the "figure 8's in the box" done on a fully rigged Goldwing ridden by one of the other instructors, a retired MC cop. He made it look pretty easy, fwiw.

So yes, there are definitely easier, and much harder bikes to take the DMV test on than the NC, and if its simply a matter of getting through the test, and if your issues with slow speed manoevering are simply a matter of test-stress, then there's no reason not to make it a little easier. Either way though the MSF advanced course is highly recommended, and kills two birds with one stone.

Ah this brings back memories....I had HAIR the last time I had to take the DMV motorcycle test. It was on an '85 CB900F and no, I did NOT stay inside that stupid little circle. I was just young and good looking enough to charm the female test administrator (at least that's what I told myself) and she let me pass. Fast forward 20 years later, I lost my "M" class rating in a move to Virginia and back. Faced with the DMV test again and this time not nearly as handsome as before, I happily paid the $200+ for the CA certification test. I was surprised, having ridden dirt bikes since I was a youngster to the point my grandfather worried I'd forget how to walk, that I actually learned techniques and behaviors that make me a safer street rider. Well worth the money, not just to avoid that little circle, but to be a better biker. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Greg, Would it be easier on a Vespa than the NC? Of course it would. I realize that failing the test is my fault, but I also know that I didn't stack the deck in my favor by choosing such a big bike for that test.

As far as cheating goes, it's within the rules to show up and use a vespa. It may not be honorable, in the Greg scheme of things, but it is within the rules and, therefore, not cheating. Reminds me of an exchange from the movie "Chariots of Fire"

Dean: "Your aim is to win at all costs, is it not?"

Abrahams: "At all costs, no. But I do aim to win within the rules.
Perhaps you would rather I played the gentleman and lost?
"

I already know how this will end. I'll take the test two more times, fail both. Then sit through the course and pay $250.
Then, I'll be done with it.

I agree fully that taking the test on a smaller machine is not technically cheating. That's why I put the word in quotes. It follows the rules of licensing in the state, but it also demonstrates the severe shortcomings of the license qualification testing typically done across the US. That you can pass a test on a 200cc automatic scooter, then be given a license to ride a half ton loaded touring bike or a 180 hp sport bike is just absurd.

I came off in an defensive manner because you said the NC700X was the wrong bike for the test. Well, I say if that's the bike you intend to ride, I think you should be able to demonstrate that you can handle it per the test requirements. If you can't pass right away, that's quite alright, but it means that further training and practice are needed. Training and practice is always a good thing even for experienced riders.

Greg

Last edited:
Try it on a dedicated sport bike like an R1. Then you'll understand why even with all the weight the NC700X has it's still a breeze to do that test.

The R1 has a very high center of gravity making the bike simply want to fall over at low speed maneuvers, on top of that you have very little lock to lock steering angles to play with so you have to stand up on the pegs and force the bike to lean while you remain upright, you also have a ridiculously tall first gear, a really grabby clutch. Basically unless you're a truly advanced slow speed rider it's 10 times more difficult than the NC700X.

Frustration aside, it seems like all you need is more practice.

Now this was back in 1983, I took mine on my fully race Seca550.I just bolted on the lights but I forgot to put the baffle back in the Kerker race pipe.The police officer that was giving me the test yelled at me but passed me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did the MSF course. $250 is cheap for the skills you will get and the fun you will have! And you get 10% on your insurance.

I feel much more in control of my bike.
I also learned that I have a lot more to learn.

I took the MSF beginner course about 10 years ago when I came back to riding after being without a m/c license for a while, took the test on a Buell Blast which is easy to ride, well balanced, not excessive power, and decent brakes. Other than shaking your teeth out, it's great for the test. I almost bought one and still wish I had.

I took Idaho's equivalent of the MSF course (not the super-beginner course, but the one where they assume you already know where the clutch is, how to open the throttle and shift, and so forth). I used their loaner Suzuki & Honda 250 standards (TU250, Rebel 250). Passing the test at the end of that course is accepted by Idaho's driver licensing authority in lieu of their test. I used the loaners instead of my Honda CBR600 sport bike because it was somewhat in pieces when I got it (bodywork literally zip-tied on), and I thought it would be better to train and test on a bike I knew what in proper order.

Taking the test on my CBR would have been MUCH harder. Taking the test on the NCX would be harder than it was on the Zuks & Hondas. I think it would behoove me to be _able_ to pass such a test on the NCX, even though the test resembles absolutely NOTHING I do in my daily 75-80 mile commute.

Had I had a new, or at least all-in-one-piece bike when I took that test, I'd have made every effort to take the course and pass the test on 'my' bike. I wouldn't hold it against anyone for doing what I did, though; take the test on the loaner bikes provided. Personally, I find scooters very disconcerting, and I feel very unsteady on them. Perhaps they're different now, 20 or 30 years since I last rode one. IDK.

I passed my motorcycle test in 1967 on a Honda C50.This included the examiner jumping out from behind a car for the emergency stop! The test was far easier in those days.

I took my test here in sunny CA on my brand new NC700X and passed the first time (the written test was a different story ;)). I'm 29 y/o and have never owned a motorcycle before. I rode my friends once when I was in high school. No, I'm not extremely gifted, at least not in riding, I just practiced. A lot. Every day for 2 weeks on my way home from work I stopped by my local DMV after hours and rode the course a few times. Once I got to where I could drive up cold (without practicing a few times first) and ace the course, I felt I was ready.

Some key things I learned that will most definitely help - The higher the revs, the more stable the bike will be. Using a combination of the throttle, clutch, and rear brake, the circle is a cinch.

Use the rear brake a lot. More than you think you should. Drag that brake all the way around the circle. With the engine up to around 2500 rpm's, and feathering the clutch, drag the rear brake to let the bike get faster or slow down. I do this for every U-Turn or sharp turn. It takes practice.

Look ahead! Don't look right in front of you. Look over about a quarter the way around the circle. This is very important, even in everyday riding. You should always be a step or few ahead (like in chess!) to be ready for anything.

Remember only your front tire has to stay between the lines (at least here in CA). So don't concentrate on keeping the entire bike between the lines, just worry about the front tire.

And the last, absolutely most important thing is to PRACTICE. I can't stress that enough. The little things you learn practicing for this test will find there way in to your everyday riding.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
We can't ALL be as good as you are, Frank.

I don't think so my friend. The exam is all about basic manoeuvers and every motorcycle rider should be able to do them successfully, for their own safety and the safety of other public road users. All those circles and counter steering crap they want you to do in the exam is there for something, that's because you'll need them someday in the real world, and you may get in trouble if they don't come naturally because a lack of practice.... But that's just me, other opinions will probably differ.

I'll try it in 2nd see if that makes any difference...2nd for the whole ride? from a dead stop?

Not really, I was talking about your original post:

in three attemtps, I could not go around that little circle twice without putting my foot down. All that BS about low center of gravity...didn't help at all... That bike isn't designed to do that.

It is a lot easier to go around that circle while gently holding te rear brake, and adjust the speed with the friction zone, without too much playing with the throttle. BTW, I almost never use the front brake on very slow manoeuvers. The front brake will throw you on the ground, especially while leaning at low speed. Once you will practice amd understand the rear brake / friction zone / throttle hold / no front brake for low speed manoeuvers, you will be able to do whatever low speed stuff you want, even turning around a Goldwing into a 10 feet radius while scraping its pegs.

Some time in the 60s they started testing motorcycles so I rode this down , I think I put mufflers on for the test.
1967 BSA HORNET.jpg
Never had to go back for another test. Oh well.

Side note, technically speaking if you take the test on a scooter you get a scooter license, not a motorcycle license (or M2 instead of M1 endorsement). It may depend on the person giving the test, but I have heard people say they were turned away because they came on a vespa for their M1 test.
Aside from that, if you're just one of those people who sucks at tests, the one at the end of the MSF course may feel less like a test. And that figure-8 in the box thing? As long as you don't put your foot down you're good. I was out of the lines on that whole maneuver and still passed overall.

Back