• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What mtorcycle did you use for your driving test?

I'll tell you what, all these stories make me feel young. Many of you got your endorsements before I was even born (82), with some way before I was born. It's been fun to read.

You had to do a driving test in Bama? In the early 80s all I had to do was pass the written auto test for the auto learners permit to get the motorcycle endorsement.

Not back in 1962, only the written test. I don't think they knew what a driving test was back then. As you can tell I'm an old guy.

I regret my recent bad manners...
Frustration and fear...make me forget how I should behave.

Today was better.

Here's what worked:
1) idle throttle (the engine is strong enough to move the bike at idle)
2) let the clutch out enough to move the bike forward and hold it there.
3) tap the foot brake to regulate speed

That combination made things much easier, and I want to thank whoever it was who recommended regulating speed via the foot brake.

Dynamic: when going around the circle, the engine wants to push the bike forward. (if you have the clutch out enough) Tap the brake to slow it down to stay within the lines when the engine starts to push it too fast.
when you feel like you're going too slow and might fall over, let go the foot brake, and the bike will speed up. when you start to go too fast to hold the turn tap the foot break.
Rinse and repeat!

I do not know if I can pass this test with "Ramon" (my examiner) watching. Today's experience is the first "evidence" that maybe I could.
I went in a pattern, no feet down, for about 20 minutes straight.... until my hands got fatigued from holding the clutch... then I rested and did a few more.

I will do the same tomorrow with Mrs. StratTuner watching....to simulate Ramon's unforgiving stare.

I want to thank all the folks who offered encouragement... even when I didn't want to hear it.

Sincerely, me

Last edited:
Sounds like you are getting a handle on doing slow maneuvers on your NC. The 3 things stressed in the Learn to Ride Like a Pro DVD are: 1) Head and eyes, the bike will go in the direction the head and eyes are looking; 2) Proper use of the friction zone, using the clutch to regulate speed; and 3) Proper use of the rear brake, also using it to help control speed. He also said something as a general comment that I picked up on, and it helped give me confidence: "The motorcycle will not go down as long as there is power to the rear wheel." This helped me a lot in performing the slow speed maneuvers for the riding test. Keep practicing and you will do well. The NC is really a nimble bike.

Never took an actual DMV riding test. In 1961 in Florida you could ride a motorcycle under 10 horsepower at 14 years old on a restricted license, which only required a written test. That was my first motorcycle endorsement. By the time states started requiring proficiency testing I was in the Air Force and when I got a bike in Arizona (Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson) I had to take the military version of the MSF to ride on base. Arizona recognized the military training as fulfilling the state licensing requirement so that took care of the state endorsement also. I did that school in 1972 on a Ducati 250. Second time was the same drill, but at Vandenberg AFB in California in 1976 on a Yamaha RD400. Once again, the state recognized the military course. When I retired from the Air Force and moved back home to Florida in 1990, I went to the DMV with my completion cards from the military course at Vandenberg and asked them if they accepted that course as meeting the MSF requirement. The examiner told me to step over to the camera so he could take the picture for my new license.:)

Bob

don't give up stratTuner ,you'll get there in the end.

when during my test the examiner used to be on a suicide mission.
they use to jump out onto the road with hands up signalling you to stop(emergency stop).
I'm sure Rocker and Wozza will remember this.

Last edited:
don't give up stratTuner ,you'll get there in the end.

when during my test the examiner used to be on a suicide mission.
they use to jump out onto the road with hands up signalling you to stop(emergency stop).
I'm sure Rocker and Wozza will remember this.

and I bet some ended up with a black tire mark along the vertical center of their body!

I remember that certainly. However my examiner didn't do that as my test was in torrential rain and he had just seen a car pull out on me causing me to do a genuine emergency stop. Also I think that he just wanted to get back in the dry :)

When I was doing the figure 8 I sucked at it in the beginning... Just kept doing it and got better, when I did it 4 times in a row I figured I was ready for the big time.

Glad to hear you are feeling better about it strat, you certainly seemed not your cheerful self ;-)

Never took an actual DMV riding test. In 1961 in Florida you could ride a motorcycle under 10 horsepower at 14 years old on a restricted license, which only required a written test. That was my first motorcycle endorsement. By the time states started requiring proficiency testing I was in the Air Force and when I got a bike in Arizona (Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson) I had to take the military version of the MSF to ride on base. Arizona recognized the military training as fulfilling the state licensing requirement so that took care of the state endorsement also. I did that school in 1972 on a Ducati 250. Second time was the same drill, but at Vandenberg AFB in California in 1976 on a Yamaha RD400. Once again, the state recognized the military course. When I retired from the Air Force and moved back home to Florida in 1990, I went to the DMV with my completion cards from the military course at Vandenberg and asked them if they accepted that course as meeting the MSF requirement. The examiner told me to step over to the camera so he could take the picture for my new license.:)

Bob
You are a little older than I, Bob. When I started riding nearly 10 years later in 1970 Florida allowed a 15 year old to ride a bike of less than 5 hp by passing a written test but the test was the same as for a car. There was no MC license as I recall. In 1995 I was riding a Honda CB200 my dad bought new in 1974 or 75. It sat in a garage for 18 years. He gave the bike to me to sell for him but it took about 6 months to sell it so I got to ride it a while. I took the MC proficiency test on that bike as FL instituted the MC license about that time.

I used my brand new NC700X DCT !!!

I had always just renewed my permits in the past...lol, but I got pulled over on the Freeway :( After having my bike impounded, I decided it was time to bite the bullet. And get in line at the DMV...

Though, I felt like I was cheating... Watching everyone else with a clutch fail miserably... That test was rough; and I probably would not have passed with a Manual transmission (not counting my paddle shifters...lol) Especially because the DMV I tested at has their course on an DOWN-ANGLED lot !!! It makes the circle experience very interesting o_O
Even the examiner was surprised that I did it....lol

ps.... never take your test at the Whittier DMV

You are a little older than I, Bob. When I started riding nearly 10 years later in 1970 Florida allowed a 15 year old to ride a bike of less than 5 hp by passing a written test but the test was the same as for a car. There was no MC license as I recall. In 1995 I was riding a Honda CB200 my dad bought new in 1974 or 75. It sat in a garage for 18 years. He gave the bike to me to sell for him but it took about 6 months to sell it so I got to ride it a while. I took the MC proficiency test on that bike as FL instituted the MC license about that time.
Now that I think about it, I think about the only thing they changed was probably moving the minimum age from 14 to 15. It was a 5hp max back then too, and the restricted license didn't make any differentiation between car and motorcycle. The restrictions were you had to have a fully licensed driver in the front seat of a car or a bike less than 5 horsepower and you weren't allowed to drive after dark.

Bob

Confidence comes from doing and it sounds like you are more confident.

Yes. Confidence is better. I went to the local DMV to practice tonight and met a fellow rider who explained there really are two parts to the california test:
1) zig zag cones, transition to clockwise circle (two laps), back to zig zag
2) straight between to lines to circle, two circle laps count-clockwise, then back straight between two lines.

I had been practicing 1, but not 2 .... since I didn't even make it to 2 durning the first test!

Tonight, I spent 45 mins alternating between the two circuits. Mostly I could do it...but sometimes not. I have two mor nights and the morning of the test to practice.

Will I pass? Maybe. Definitely, if they give me 10 tries.... sadly...you get three!

I WILL take the test on the NC700x. No cheating with a vespa. I'd rather fail honestly, than "cheat" that way...even though it's not cheating... If I used the vespa, I wouldn't be especially proud of that.

The worst that can happen is that I'll have to take the $250 safety course at a local Jr. College. Fail that too, and I presume the whole process starts over.
I'm OK with that now.

Last edited:
Yes. Confidence is better. I went to the local DMV to practice tonight and met a fellow rider who explained there really are two parts to the california test:
1) zig zag cones, transition to clockwise circle (two laps), back to zig zag
2) straight between to lines to circle, two circle laps count-clockwise, then back straight between two lines.

I had been practicing 1, but not 2 .... since I didn't even make it to 2 durning the first test!

Tonight, I spent 45 mins alternating between the two circuits. Mostly I could do it...but sometimes not. I have two mor nights and the morning of the test to practice.

Will I pass? Maybe. Definitely, if they give me 10 tries.... sadly...you get three!

I WILL take the test on the NC700x. No cheating with a vespa. I'd rather fail honestly, than "cheat" that way...even though it's not cheating... If I used the vespa, I wouldn't be especially proud of that.

The worst that can happen is that I'll have to take the $250 safety course at a local Jr. College. Fail that too, and I presume the whole process starts over.
I'm OK with that now.

StratTuner, I and I'm sure everyone else here is pulling for you.

Many many decades ago I was a young lad still three years too young to have even a provisional license (UK's version of a learner permit), but I'd already become a competent dirt bike rider and a passable car driver. By the time I was 17 I'd already passed my MC test, and in order to hopefully enhance my, ahem, love life, I was DESPERATE to pass the car test - Most young ladies in my circles back then were unimpressed by bikes. Cars were much better for a whole lot of reasons.

When the time came to take the test I was so determined to be 'perfect' that the tester interpreted my desire to be come across as a super careful driver as a sign of me lacking in confidence. Waiting too long for a decent gap to pull out into highway traffic cost me a 'fail'.

The reason for recounting this piece of ancient history is that two things happened 3 months later when I retook the test: firstly, I was 'over it' - I'd suffered and survived the embarrassment and friends' needling from failing the test, and secondly I realized it is just a process, and with that realization I knew I'd pass it, either there and then, or the next time. With that different mind set, I re-took the test knowing all I had to do was show the examiner that I could drive just fine. Turned out that you don't have to score 9.9's or perfect 10's, you mostly just have to show an ability to drive confidently and in control.

I think you'll do fine.

Steve

Steve, thank you. There is nothing better than when people share their own stories abou an event like that. That's very encouraging! It's always good when someone takes the time to tell a story, and I've never been bored by any of them.

Two more nights practice, Friday morning practice on site, test at 9AM Friday. Pass or fail I'll be OK.

I experimented with idling the nc700x with the clutch all the way out. It does work. I then control speed with the foot brake. It's passable, but if you go just a little too slow with the clutch all the way out, the engine hints at stalling. It did NOT stall, but it sounds like it's going to.
I think I'll stay with holding the clutch almost all the way out, foot brake to regulate speed.

I'll add a chart to this thread of the course and lines that show both circuits.... don't know why...just seems like a fun thing to do...somene might find it useful/interesting some day.

Steve: (Mrs. StratTuner and I drove from London, to Wells, to the Cottswolds, and back again one summer. Drivers in the States have it easy compared to London Freeways).

Last edited:
Steve, thank you. There is nothing better than when people share their own stories abou an event like that. That's very encouraging! It's always good when someone takes the time to tell a story, and I've never been bored by any of them.

Two more nights practice, Friday morning practice on site, test at 9AM Friday. Pass or fail I'll be OK.

I experimented with idling the nc700x with the clutch all the way out. It does work. I then control speed with the foot brake. It's passable, but if you go just a little too slow with the clutch all the way out, the engine hints at stalling. It did NOT stall, but it sounds like it's going to.
I think I'll stay with holding the clutch almost all the way out, foot brake to regulate speed.

I'll add a chart to this thread of the course and lines that show both circuits.... don't know why...just seems like a fun thing to do...somene might find it useful/interesting some day.

Steve: (Mrs. StratTuner and I drove from London, to Wells, to the Cottswolds, and back again one summer. Drivers in the States have it easy compared to London Freeways).

It's actually better to be giving her a little bit more throttle than too little, and then like you say, still use the clutch and foot brake to regulate. This reduces the likelyhood of a stall out and loss of forward momentum just when it sucks the most to lose it, lol. Not having to worry about the chug chug chug resulting in a lurching dead stop, takes away one more thing to distract you.

Smoothness and continuous momentum is the real key, unless you are a master Trials rider, with the zero speed balance skills that appear impossible to us mere mortals.

Looking too close in front of the bike makes for a much more difficult job. Look where you want to go future tense, before you get there, not while you are getting there or right as you are getting there.

I want to turn left. I will swivel my head left and look where I want to go, before I even start forward to begin my turn. Obviously barring things like traffic and everyday dangers/obstacles/the law etc., etc., but you know what I mean.

A circle should be a smooth continuous arc, not a whole bunch of short little straight lines.

Best of luck with your test! Try to make it a fun thing, a game that you beat, rather than a worry or a disliked task to have to do.

You'll do great ;)

Back