• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What does everyone use to inflate NC tires on the road ?

750dct

Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up ordering a one pound, 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" rechargeable air pump. I would have gotten one for my '23 NC that runs off the bikes' battery but it would be too hard to hook up to the NC. Also, I hear those can overheat and blow fuses. They make claims about the little pump to sell it, but I will have to test it when I get it. Even if it takes 15 minutes to fill a tire, it beats calling a tow truck. If I like it, I will secure it somewhere other than in the trunk.

I build a tire repair kit for each road going bike so I don’t have to move it between bikes. The NC’s pump is a garden variety 12v that rides in the bottom of the frunk. The pump’s vinyl zipper case has room for gummy worms and glue. It used to also contain the screwdriver-style reamer and insert tool but I upgraded to better quality T handle tools that fit beside the pump. I modified the power cord with an SAE duplex plug so it fits the battery tender pigtail. As long as the engine runs I have a steady supply of power for the pump. I‘ve had occasion to use this and the other 12v pump kits and with with sized and fused properly connections have never blown a fuse or overheated the pump.

If you mean repair a flat, my kit is very similar to dduelin's only with some more stuff added (rubber gloves, extra fuse, razor blade, leatherman tool, 45 degree stem, pencil air gauge, goop hand cleaner). Buddy used it to fix a flat on his bike at the CB 1100 rally last month, and I used it yesterday to fix a puncture on my wife's X Max scooter. Mine also plugs into the battery tender pigtail.

r2NHlRGh.jpg

I transfer mine to the bike I am riding at the time. Everything fits in the black bag except the T handled tools. Trust me get T handled tools and not screw driver handled tools. Tires are tough.

Reactions: MZ5
I carry a Slime 40001 12 volt pump kit. It has several power connector styles and a nice case that makes it easy to transfer from bike to bike. There is usually one in the Goldwing and one in the NC all the time, but I move them as needed. All my motorcycles have SAE connectors, and some have additional connectors to power the pump. I have a separate case for the tire plugging tools.
ccs-5-0-14411000-1465489246.jpg

If you mean repair a flat, my kit is very similar to dduelin's only with some more stuff added (rubber gloves, extra fuse, razor blade, leatherman tool, 45 degree stem, pencil air gauge, goop hand cleaner). Buddy used it to fix a flat on his bike at the CB 1100 rally last month, and I used it yesterday to fix a puncture on my wife's X Max scooter. Mine also plugs into the battery tender pigtail.

r2NHlRGh.jpg

I transfer mine to the bike I am riding at the time. Everything fits in the black bag except the T handled tools. Trust me get T handled tools and not screw driver handled tools. Tires are tough.
Good point to bring up a cutting blade and leatherman multitool. I don’t yet carry hand cleaner but all that stuff I carry in a small ditty bag in the frunk or saddlebag. I didn’t have a cutting tool one time and couldn’t trim the gummy worm flush. The plug backed out and the tire lost air again but this time on an interstate after dusk. After that debacle I included a razor blade and a small LED light.

I build a tire repair kit for each road going bike so I don’t have to move it between bikes. The NC’s pump is a garden variety 12v that rides in the bottom of the frunk. The pump’s vinyl zipper case has room for gummy worms and glue. It used to also contain the screwdriver-style reamer and insert tool but I upgraded to better quality T handle tools that fit beside the pump. I modified the power cord with an SAE duplex plug so it fits the battery tender pigtail. As long as the engine runs I have a steady supply of power for the pump. I‘ve had occasion to use this and the other 12v pump kits and with with sized and fused properly connections have never blown a fuse or overheated the pump.
I like that idea of connecting it to the pigtail. My reamer has the screwdriver type handle also which is smaller but maybe too hard to use. My tire plugging kit rides in the trunk, but I think I will attach the pump elsewhere, so the trunk doesn't get crowded. I have a feeling I will end up with a 12V type anyway.

Good point to bring up a cutting blade and leatherman multitool. I don’t yet carry hand cleaner but all that stuff I carry in a small ditty bag in the frunk or saddlebag. I didn’t have a cutting tool one time and couldn’t trim the gummy worm flush. The plug backed out and the tire lost air again but this time on an interstate after dusk. After that debacle I included a razor blade and a small LED light.
Funny that I have everything but forgot the razor blade too..........:)

I like that idea of connecting it to the pigtail. My reamer has the screwdriver type handle also which is smaller but maybe too hard to use. My tire plugging kit rides in the trunk, but I think I will attach the pump elsewhere, so the trunk doesn't get crowded. I have a feeling I will end up with a 12V type anyway.
Depending on the pump of course you can remove the plastic housing to reduce the size. Fabricate a cover or shield to cover the gear wheel that drives the pump so it won't nip at fingers or rub on anything. I have one pump like that and it is small enough to fit the very rear tail cone of the first generation NCs. I don't know if Honda still left a space back there in the newer NCs. I use this pump now in the RT.

Air Compressor.jpg

Air Compressor1.jpg

I have a rope plug kit and a rechargeable pump. The pump is good for about 2 full inflations but isn't the quickest. It can also double up as a power bank.
20231004_121651.jpg
Pump at the top, then puncture repair kit with a 400ml can of chain lube as comparison. I carry it in the frunk on longer rides and camping trips. It won't fit anywhere else and my tool kit is under the pillion anyway.

Depending on the pump of course you can remove the plastic housing to reduce the size. Fabricate a cover or shield to cover the gear wheel that drives the pump so it won't nip at fingers or rub on anything. I have one pump like that and it is small enough to fit the very rear tail cone of the first generation NCs. I don't know if Honda still left a space back there in the newer NCs. I use this pump now in the RT.

View attachment 53066

View attachment 53067
My first air pump was one of those years ago, a Campbell Hausfield unit from Walmart I took all the plastic off of. I never made a guard for the wheel though, good idea. On that kind you have to rig a hanger because you can't hold it in your hand.

I’ve had good results with a rechargeable pump. Mine is a Lexin. Multiple presets, so it can just pump to preferred pressure then stop. I think what I like best is that my vehicles have never had their tire pressures monitored so closely, because it’s so easy to keep it handy for top-ups as required. I only carry it on the bike for longer rides, and of course I’ve never needed it on the road. It would be brilliant for people who air down their tires when leaving pavement. And, as @ewen mentioned, it can charge a phone when needed.

I've had one puncture in 50 years of riding. Then I picked up a nail about 10 years ago. Fortunately I had a puncture repair kit with Co2 cylinders so I was away again in 15 minutes. I has a pillion so had to pull into petrol station and put some more air in but I was very pleased that I bought that kit!

I had 9 bikes in a period of 60 years, never had a flat, and never carried any type of repair kits. On my 10th bike my cover was hanging up on something the second day of owning it and it was a big nail in my back tire. I got the plug kit out of my car, and it cured that.

I got the ROCKBROS rechargeable inflator as a gift and LOVE it. Unfortunately needed it in the field and it's flawless so far. Great battery life, no guessing with the digital setting and cut off, and fast enough for me. Charges off USB so on a multi day trip one could recharge while riding.

I got the ROCKBROS rechargeable inflator as a gift and LOVE it. Unfortunately needed it in the field and it's flawless so far. Great battery life, no guessing with the digital setting and cut off, and fast enough for me. Charges off USB so on a multi day trip one could recharge while riding.
I went with a USB rechargeable one also, it just seemed more practical.

Back