• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced both tires on my sons 2012 X model. (Sunday) No pics but dang if the bead breaking and removal of the five year old tires wasn't a total BIICH!!! We ended up using a 6' lever against a piece of pipe (2X4 kept slipping) that would dig into the tire. The lever lifted the bench with me leaning on it so we put the fulcrum under a truck spring. What torture.
I know the bead breaking tools/stands with the 3' arm would not have worked. And the U tube videos showing all the easy roadside removals made us want to cry. I mean one of these dudes broke a bead with the heel of a boot (and some good positioning) No way here!! _+_@#)(%&@#@#%)(&*@%!! My son is 300lbs and both of us leaning down on a bar did nothing. Lube and all.
In the 70s I did a tire change on a side walk in a drizzle with a tool called a Breezer. That was good but our rims were steel, like our balls. Now the rims are aluminium and soft. I even cut through the fancy protector and gouged the rim with one tire tool.
Did I mention the removal was a total, unadulterated, horrid BIICH?
Whew glad that is off my chest.

P.S. Just how important is it to get a perfect balance on a bike that can barely get to 85mph before running out of road.
Well there's my excuse to pay someone else to change the tires and for me to put off buying the tools to do it myself lol. I'm a cheap skate and was just thinking of buying the tools to change the tires myself and I was planning on trying those balance beads? The tools are the price of a couple tire changes so not a bad deal. Never used the balance beads before usually use the liquid ride on. Any opinions on that?

Installed new air filter
3e1494f3b2ace36da451f546512043f4.jpg

Replaced both tires on my sons 2012 X model. (Sunday) No pics but dang if the bead breaking and removal of the five year old tires wasn't a total BIICH!!! We ended up using a 6' lever against a piece of pipe (2X4 kept slipping) that would dig into the tire. The lever lifted the bench with me leaning on it so we put the fulcrum under a truck spring. What torture.
I know the bead breaking tools/stands with the 3' arm would not have worked. And the U tube videos showing all the easy roadside removals made us want to cry. I mean one of these dudes broke a bead with the heel of a boot (and some good positioning) No way here!! _+_@#)(%&@#@#%)(&*@%!! My son is 300lbs and both of us leaning down on a bar did nothing. Lube and all.
In the 70s I did a tire change on a side walk in a drizzle with a tool called a Breezer. That was good but our rims were steel, like our balls. Now the rims are aluminium and soft. I even cut through the fancy protector and gouged the rim with one tire tool.

P.S. Just how important is it to get a perfect balance on a bike that can barely get to 85mph before running out of road.

Was it cold? Might've been a bit easier if you warmed up the tire first (either let it sit in the sun, in front of a heater, or even just ride it for a while--issue with that being you have to remove the wheel while the bike is hot, then the tire before it cools).

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble, but I don't think it should normally be that bad. I use a Harbor Freight bead breaker and never had any trouble with motorcycle or trailer tire beads. Maybe it's because the bead breaker tool applies the force right next to the rim.

A few weeks ago I changed the OEM tire on my wife's Honda Reflex scooter due to it's age. It was on the rim for 14 years and it came loose with no problem at all using the HF bead breaker.

Last edited:
I can imagine that tires that have been on a rim for 5 years were just about welded to the rim. Usually, I go though 3 sets of tires per year.

I installed the 20 inch Madstad windshield but still felt some wind buffering. I had ordered the eBay windshield attachment thing a while ago and decided to add it and I sort of dig it. I'm actually pretty impressed how well that attachment thing is made.

da7d3987c77b15eada444eb352bbb6c7.jpg

Here's the bike with the cheap LED lights. Not overwhelmingly bright but it does the job.

ca2c3fcdff8c5b3291b94861b46a3e52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the only thing that sucks on it is the plastic on the inside of the clamp system not being attached in some positive fashion. I got that taken care of, but I'm sure it will frustrate some people.

I installed the 20 inch Madstad windshield but still felt some wind buffering. I had ordered the eBay windshield attachment thing a while ago and decided to add it and I sort of dig it. I'm actually pretty impressed how well that attachment thing is made.

da7d3987c77b15eada444eb352bbb6c7.jpg

Here's the bike with the cheap LED lights. Not overwhelmingly bright but it does the job.

ca2c3fcdff8c5b3291b94861b46a3e52.jpg

You can get a led headlight to match your auxiliary lights $20-something or so

It looks like that we were working on similar projects:
Mounted cheap-o LED driving lights to the Givi engine guard. Awaiting battery harness to properly wire them.
These lights are primarily for "to be seen" rather than "to see".

Driving Light.jpg

Last edited:
Well there's my excuse to pay someone else to change the tires and for me to put off buying the tools to do it myself lol. I'm a cheap skate and was just thinking of buying the tools to change the tires myself and I was planning on trying those balance beads? The tools are the price of a couple tire changes so not a bad deal. Never used the balance beads before usually use the liquid ride on. Any opinions on that?

I don't have experience with liquid balancers. I have read a lot on it over the years and most votes are against. That is all I know. I have not used any. In the old days I just put the dot on the "other side" (or is is same side, I forget) and went on my merry way..........up to 147mph*.

* - Indicated.

P.S. These new Michelins do not have a dot on them. Company says they are perfect. Gotta love that eh? GO Michelin - throw me a roll of white fat!!!

Was it cold? Might've been a bit easier if you warmed up the tire first (either let it sit in the sun, in front of a heater, or even just ride it for a while--issue with that being you have to remove the wheel while the bike is hot, then the tire before it cools).

It was easily in the mid 70s
I'm in Florida...........:cool:

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble, but I don't think it should normally be that bad. I use a Harbor Freight bead breaker and never had any trouble with motorcycle or trailer tire beads. Maybe it's because the bead breaker tool applies the force right next to the rim.

A few weeks ago I changed the OEM tire on my wife's Honda Reflex scooter due to it's age. It was on the rim for 14 years and it came loose with no problem at all using the HF bead breaker.

Dang!
The pipe was not as close as a bead breaking tool can get (they pretty much go "into" it) but it was almost touching and angled inward a tad and wellll........I don't have any pics either.
Dang!

They aren't balancers really, though on my dualsport it seemed like the use of QuadBoss smoothed things out on the highway. They are sealants. I still think it's a good idea to balance the wheel/tire assembly

I've used Dynabeads on my old Goldwing but switched to Ride-On. With Dyabeads, if I had to plug a flat tire, I'm betting they would stick to the plug and screw the balance up . Not a problem with Ride-On.

The Ride-On Tire Protection System (“Ride-On TPS”) is a revolutionary line of tire sealants (tyre sealants) ... It is currently used by the military, US Postal Service, more than sixty cities, municipalities, and government agencies. The one feature I like the best is that water seeks its own level, and no matter how much wear the tire gets, the tire remains balanced.

Slime makes a mess. Dealerships refuse to change tires that have slime in the tire. Just to big a mess.

No mess with Ride-On, and water will wash the inside for the tire clean....

I fought using any such products in my motorcycle tires for over 40 years, and I owned the dealership. I had and still have a 1978 Goldwing with the comstar rims that nothing, could keep in balance. That does include all the high dollar, high speed balancing equipment in my shop. A Tucker Rocky rep and my senior mechanic, put Ride On in the tires of my 1978 Goldwing without my permission. I road the bike over 400 miles that weekend, and could not believe the results. The first day back at work I confronted the mechanic about what he had done to my motorcycle. My 30 year old, 500,000 mile Goldwing had now run perfect for the first time without any vibrations. The mechanic told me the Tucker Rocky rep., had put Ride-On in my tires, after he had quit laughing at me. It did convince the hater of any type of any fluid in any motorcycle tire, ME.

$RAWRQCZ.jpg

$RA38ONY.jpg

Last edited:
Couple mostly sunny thaw days in a row, dragging down the 2.5 feet of packed snow in my yard and easing my collapsed roof fears ; }. Started both my motorcycles just to get the juices flowing. Feels like soon I'll be posin' the ol' NC like this again instead of looking at it sitting neglected in the motorcycle shed --

2016-11-26 15;23;37 by greenboy, on Flickr

2016-11-24 13;16;43 by greenboy, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back