• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

So what did you do TO your NC700 today.

Should this thread be made a Sticky?

• Yes.

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • No.

Votes: 20 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I put my Givi rear rack on but it turns out I got a deformed unit in. I had to do a little tweaking to them to make it usable until a replacement can be had. That sucks since it took a month to get in. The Givi crash guards were much less eventful (easy).

I was going to install my Symtech grip heaters as well, but the place I ordered from sent me the ATV version instead. This was after they "misplaced" the original order.

If the universe is telling me not to ride, I wish it would be less blunt about it. I don't take hints well.

I put my Givi rear rack on but it turns out I got a deformed unit in. I had to do a little tweaking to them to make it usable until a replacement can be had. That sucks since it took a month to get in. The Givi crash guards were much less eventful (easy).

I was going to install my Symtech grip heaters as well, but the place I ordered from sent me the ATV version instead. This was after they "misplaced" the original order.

If the universe is telling me not to ride, I wish it would be less blunt about it. I don't take hints well.

No kidding. I've had a little trouble in that way, too. I was wondering if it was karma, the fickle finger of fate, or just indigestion, but nothing works well lately.

Actually, most everything else in life works well, but there's something about this Honda that is just not going to get along well with me. Apparently I'm not supposed to have it, so it will soon be going up for sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also oiled my first motorcycle chain. Do you guys clean you chain every time you lubricate it? I was planning to do lubricate weekly and clean monthly.

I have installed scottoilers on every other bike I owned except the NC, because it required that stupidly expensive e system. On the bikes with oilers the chain never get cleaned and they have lasted 50k+ km's. I will be testing a loobman on the NC in the future.

I learned that I hate trim clips! I broke two before I figured them out.

Learning them is better than hating them. They work quite well.

My hole saw was too course which made the bit jump and scar the outer frunk wall. I ended up drilling some holes and using a circular rasp to get the correct size.

Try a Unibit (step drill)

My Givi side racks came bent out of shape from the factory.I hope that thier build quality is better than their quality control.

This morning it was 29 degrees but I rode the 37 miles to work anyway! I had to try the seat modification, tall windscreen, and heated grips! The grips got hot pretty quick on the highest setting so I switched them to the middle setting. Much better! The windscreen was also a big improvement. I travel in the express lane (HOV) at about 70 mph so it really cuts the wind down. I am 5'11" for reference. The seat mod made this my favorite ride yet! I highly recommend it! Now for the bad...I felt like my hands were getting frost bite. My palms were toasty but the heat battle was losing to the wind. I am convinced that Barkbusters are in my near future!

This morning it was 29 degrees but I rode the 37 miles to work anyway! I had to try the seat modification, tall windscreen, and heated grips! The grips got hot pretty quick on the highest setting so I switched them to the middle setting. Much better! The windscreen was also a big improvement. I travel in the express lane (HOV) at about 70 mph so it really cuts the wind down. I am 5'11" for reference. The seat mod made this my favorite ride yet! I highly recommend it! Now for the bad...I felt like my hands were getting frost bite. My palms were toasty but the heat battle was losing to the wind. I am convinced that Barkbusters are in my near future!

In my opinion heated grips are for cool, not cold weather. Cold weather requires different measures. Handguards (Barkbusters, Cycra, etc.) won't cut it. The only hope you will have for heated grips being part of an extreme cold weather solution is if employed with handlegrip covers (Hippo Hands, etc.) and special gloves with uninsulated palms and insulated backs. I am a simpleton. I just switch to electric glove liners for extreme cold and use the hot grips for cool evenings / mornings or for arthritis relief.

I feel for you disastrous. My commute is pretty short and I haven't felt what you describe. If I ever have to go longer on a commute I might have to try another option.

In my opinion heated grips are for cool, not cold weather. Cold weather requires different measures. Handguards (Barkbusters, Cycra, etc.) won't cut it. The only hope you will have for heated grips being part of an extreme cold weather solution is if employed with handlegrip covers (Hippo Hands, etc.) and special gloves with uninsulated palms and insulated backs. I am a simpleton. I just switch to electric glove liners for extreme cold and use the hot grips for cool evenings / mornings or for arthritis relief.

For all day rides, you are 100% correct. For commuting, assuming the ride is about a half hour or less then heated grips are the ideal solution for me. It does require all those aspects that you mentioned: heated grips, hand guards (not the "just for looks" type), and uninsulated palm/insulated back gloves. I've ridden my half hour commute with that set up and the time saved not wiring myself up every morning before work makes a big difference. I'm not a morning person. At all.

On a side note, I did my own version of the seat mod. Made an aluminum bracket, the spacers are some strong magnets that I had laying around with furniture pads adhered to them and a 2.5" machine screw through the bracket to attach it. All stuff laying handily around the garage (I LOVE FREE MODS!). I don't think I've jacked mine up to quite the level that others have, but I think it'll be good enough to test out the seat slope=discomfort theory (which I suspect is very true). I can undo the mod in 30 seconds on the road if I decide it's a no go or that I get a hankering for having my frank n' beans jammed into my torso whilst on a ride.

Time will tell.

It's been pretty nice in Tucson lately, so I went for a little ride west of town just after noon, today. A few highlights are pictured below. These are on-the-road pics from my Hero3 (Silver) Christmas present, so pardon the windscreen reflections. I promised my wife I'd take movies of all my rides from now on, and these are screen prints of today's movie.

The first one is the view just after the crest of Gates Pass, headed west.

Number 2 shows the view near the bottom of the pass, looking west across the valley.

Picture 3 is one of the first curves near the southern entrance of Saguaro National Park (West).

And I couldn't resist showing more saguaro. Too many?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 10.04.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 10.04.45 PM.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 240
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 10.06.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 10.06.01 PM.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 245
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 10.17.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 10.17.21 PM.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 242
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 10.23.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 10.23.03 PM.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 243
It's been pretty nice in Tucson lately, so I went for a little ride west of town just after noon, today. A few highlights are pictured below. These are on-the-road pics from my Hero3 (Silver) Christmas present, so pardon the windscreen reflections. I promised my wife I'd take movies of all my rides from now on, and these are screen prints of today's movie.

The first one is the view just after the crest of Gates Pass, headed west.

Number 2 shows the view near the bottom of the pass, looking west across the valley.

Picture 3 is one of the first curves near the southern entrance of Saguaro National Park (West).

And I couldn't resist showing more saguaro. Too many?

The valley to the west of Gate's Pass is where Old Tucson is located. A lot of cowboy movies were made there.

I installed the OEM rack for the trunk. Cutting the plastic was the worst part, and really I think honda could have R&D better for a design that didn't require cutting. Overall though, it wasn't too bad of an install.

Installed a set of Soft Touch grips in black and silver to match the bike.
grips.jpg The OEM grips in the new grip package.
grips 2.jpg
The new grips feel really nice and are way easier to "grip"

Last edited:
180 Mile trip from Rio Rancho to Mountainair, NM. Enjoying the balmy 58 degree day with out clouds or wind. Got 77.8 mpg on mostly 2 lane with some curvy sections.

Took all of a few seconds with a screw driver, they were tight but came right off. broke the grip glue with a small flat blade and soapy water.

I hate you!

lol I keed, I keed, of course! I'm just surprised and envious! :eek:

Mine, exactly like my CBR125R, were held on like grim death! I was unable to so much as pretend to budge them without resorting to a careful application of a trusty heatgun (set on "Deep Fat Fry") to melt the tenacious thread locking compound on the bar end bolts. Thankfully that worked a treat, I could not have done it without it.

Heat guns are way under-rated. I can't tell you how many times I've stumped myself in the garage for hours only to be freed by the gentle application of a heat gun. Damn you thermodynamics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back