• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2022: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iridiums are much better plugs than the non-iridiums...My 2015 Prius C has iridium plugs, I have 119,000+ miles on the OEM iridium plugs on them and the past 2 days, I have average 58mpg (and 60 of my 76 round trip miles to work and back is Interstate-I only run 65-68mph to and from work on the superslab)...I do need to change them though (supposed to change them at 100,000 miles). The plugs from the NC700 did have carbon buildup on the top thingy (dont know the name of it). However, the iridium tip and the white casing around it doesn't have any carbon buildup. I am keeping the OEM plugs out of the NC700 as a backup....I am sure they can go 100,000 miles (almost the same plugs in my Prius C). The Prius C only has a 1.5 L engine in it, but the little car only weighs 2000lbs.
The j shaped metal piece= ground strap
White casing = insulator (aluminum oxide, not porcelain)
Metal part that has threads on it = shell

Is this true for all spark plug brands?
I’m going to have to disagree with Ferret on this one. This is Mostly true for all other brand spark plugs. The only thing I see that’s different is that some other brands don’t recommend gapping precious metal plugs at all due to the potential to throw the electrode and ground strap out of parallel which can affect the transmission properties of the plug. The other 4 are pretty universal

I’m going to have to disagree with Ferret on this one. This is Mostly true for all other brand spark plugs. The only thing I see that’s different is that some other brands don’t recommend gapping precious metal plugs at all due to the potential to throw the electrode and ground strap out of parallel which can affect the transmission properties of the plug. The other 4 are pretty universal
Well, TNHoosier did ask if it was true for "ALL" spark plug brands and I said I didn't think so, because I wasn't sure. (and you said "mostly all)", so I'm not sure we disagree lol

NGK plugs are the only plugs I have used since at least 1972 when I started working in a Yamaha shop and that was the preferred brand for seemingly all Japanese bikes. I'm not sure if they have always used the trivalent coating or if that is a fairly recent development.

Well, TNHoosier did ask if it was true for "ALL" spark plug brands and I said I didn't think so, because I wasn't sure. (and you said "mostly all)", so I'm not sure we disagree lol

NGK plugs are the only plugs I have used since at least 1972 when I started working in a Yamaha shop and that was the preferred brand for seemingly all Japanese bikes. I'm not sure if they have always used the trivalent coating or if that is a fairly recent development.
I appreciate the caution there. I used to work for a manufacturer of plugs and nothing from the NGK release was different from any of their competitors that I saw.

Changed my OEM air filter at 65,651 miles. I had read and heard so many horror stories of replacing the air filter. Ist time doing it...Took me an hour total and I didnt know what I was doing and I was taking pictures of all the screws, tappets and trying to get a good picture of the new vs old (to no avail) as I was going along.
I am going to see what gas mileage I get now after changing the OEM plugs and OEM air filter. I was gettin 65mpg at 70mph on the superslab.
Dont think the NC700 really needs that much air. Mice or squirrels or something got in there and used the air filter box for a stash of acorns.
Ashamed though I allowed it to go so long after seeing the condition of the air filter.
Thanks 670cc for showing me how those tappets (or whatever you call them-just looked it up in the manual, the trim clips) come out and how to rearm the trim clips...worked like a charm.

Attachments

• IMG_20220320_151458[1].jpg
    IMG_20220320_151458[1].jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
Changed my OEM air filter at 65,651 miles. I had read and heard so many horror stories of replacing the air filter. Ist time doing it...Took me an hour total and I didnt know what I was doing and I was taking pictures of all the screws, tappets and trying to get a good picture of the new vs old (to no avail) as I was going along.
I am going to see what gas mileage I get now after changing the OEM plugs and OEM air filter. I was gettin 65mpg at 70mph on the superslab.
Dont think the NC700 really needs that much air. Mice or squirrels or something got in there and used the air filter box for a stash of acorns.
Ashamed though I allowed it to go so long after seeing the condition of the air filter.
Thanks 670cc for showing me how those tappets (or whatever you call them-just looked it up in the manual, the trim clips) come out and how to rearm the trim clips...worked like a charm.
My guess is you were fine with your dirty filter and you won’t see any mileage or performance difference going to the new one. In my opinion, the filter surface area is large relative to the engine displacement. However, just like you, I found a stash of tree nuts in my NC airbox at last filter change. I store the NC inside a building. Somehow the animal acquired the nuts from outside and brought them into the closed building to deposit them into the NC airbox. That, or perhaps the nut storage occurred during one of my forest camping outings.

407860F1-D54B-4569-8DAD-EF9542A47C91.jpeg8401627B-D5B1-46C9-979D-A59716D8E819.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep, had that many but mine were just the shells...Whatever stored them also had time to shell and eat them...Either big mice or small grey squirrels....

A couple years ago my mechanic changed my air filter while the bike was in storage (I do not have a garage, or even an adequate driveway), and returned a filter in pretty decent shape but in the bag was a handful of sunflower seed shells, some straw, and a bunch of mouse poop. It still ran fine, I hardly noticed the new filter.

54 mile spin this morning along the Ohio River Scenic Byway before the rain returns this afternoon.

Found the "rows" in these cloud formations interesting

aV6WaLth.jpg

Just back from an 800km ride over 2 days with some friends. On a previous outing solo I mentioned that I got 69miles per Imperial gallon. This time I got 73 in company. The other bikes were a 1200GS, a 1190KTM Adventure and a CB500X. The KTM in particular was thirsty by comparison with my 750 but the 500 was producing identical figures or marginally better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got out for a ride Sunday in CONN. I am on the coast and headed upstate and was not sure how far I would get. Went about 50mi and it started raining pulled over put on rain gear and winter gloves already had the heated grips going. Wished I left the Oxford handlebar muffs on. 30 mi later I was in Kent on route7 and stopped for a cup of heat. The ride home was better, no rain. When i got home total was 150mi. and that PMS,parked motorcycle syndrome was gone.

Tonight I dug my old Tom Tom One GPS out of a drawer where it had been sitting since 2017, had the maps updated and hooked it up for fun.

K7BWEg0h.jpg

Still considering an X grip and using my phone, but for now this will do. Trouble is it's pretty one dimensional ie: straightest way or quickest way NOT most fun way lol. I don't think it's programmable for a specific route.

Tonight I dug my old Tom Tom One GPS out of a drawer where it had been sitting since 2017, had the maps updated and hooked it up for fun.

K7BWEg0h.jpg

Still considering an X grip and using my phone, but for now this will do. Trouble is it's pretty one dimensional ie: straightest way or quickest way NOT most fun way lol. I don't think it's programmable for a specific route.

I hated the X Grip for my Samsung Galaxy phone. The upper grab tabs of the "X" were right on the power/volume buttons on my phone, and there wasn't any way to position it to where it wasn't an issue. If it works for your phone, great! Just keep in mind where your buttons are and where the X grip grabs the phone.

I kinda wish I had a dedicated GPS setup on my street NC and my cruiser, but no more than I have the need for it, my phone works ok for now.

And today, I have done nothing to either NC.....but Sunday, I will be prepping and loading up the track NC to get ready for a track day at Barber Motorsports Park this coming Monday! First track day of the year and the weather is supposed to be sunny and in the low to mid 70's! Couldn't ask for more perfect weather! I'm ready to melt some Michelins!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back