• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question 2020 NC 750 Base.

Stumpjumper6891

Reaction score
Visit site
I am considering purchasing a 2020 NC750 base model with only 1200 miles on it to replace my 2014. I do not need to be sold on these bikes as I already love them. My question is, do I need to have any concerns over a bike that has mostly been sitting in a garage for most of its life? The owner claims to have started it once a month for most of that time period. In my opinion, the worst thing you can do to these bikes is not drive them. What do you guys think?

I am considering purchasing a 2020 NC750 base model with only 1200 miles on it to replace my 2014. I do not need to be sold on these bikes as I already love them. My question is, do I need to have any concerns over a bike that has mostly been sitting in a garage for most of its life? The owner claims to have started it once a month for most of that time period. In my opinion, the worst thing you can do to these bikes is not drive them. What do you guys think?
Simply starting it once a month could have done more harm than good, so I would not consider that to be any advantage. A more proper way to keep it fresh would have been to do a 50 mile ride once a month. Short stationary run times without coming fully up to operating temperature invite internal moisture accumulation.

My main concern would be the battery condition. Worst case you’d probably be looking at a battery replacement if it was not on a maintainer.

If the price is right, you should be fine, in my opinion.

IMG_0691.jpegI am considering purchasing a 2020 NC750 base model with only 1200 miles on it to replace my 2014. I do not need to be sold on these bikes as I already love them. My question is, do I need to have any concerns over a bike that has mostly been sitting in a garage for most of its life? The owner claims to have started it once a month for most of that time period. In my opinion, the worst thing you can do to these bikes is not drive them. What do you guys think?
I bought a 2017 nc750x manual around 18 months ago that had only done around 500 miles! And all that in it’s first year or so then showing only about 6 miles between each mot!
Had new battery fitted from dealer when I bought it and been awesome since then i love it , traded a 10 month old ktm Duke in to buy it and don’t regret it for one moment,
Have taken the nc around Scotland, over to isle of man and a tour of Wales, never missed a beat! Now added over 4000 miles to it and looking forward to next 100 000

Rule of thumb with used bikes (and other ice driven machines) is to change the fluids when you get the bike. Brakes are a life safety item, and Honda recommended changing the fluid* every two years for STs, I'd imagine it is the same for NCs (check your manual). Coolant today has corrosion inhibitors that age, hence some anti freeze brands suggest changing every two, four, or more years. Oil and filter get changed as a matter of course. Battery life is variable from example to example but 4 or 5 years is a good lifetime. Depending on where you ride you might want to change the battery proactively. I had a battery die in a small town with none available nearby. Fortunately, after waiting a bit the bike started and I made it to my destination where I borrowed a Lithium jump pack.

Routine maintenance is usually pretty easy, and is always cheaper and less inconvenient than a breakdown on a trip.

*I don't know if the clutch on a '20 is hydraulic or cable. If the former, change the fluid when you do the brake fluid

Rule of thumb with used bikes (and other ice driven machines) is to change the fluids when you get the bike. Brakes are a life safety item, and Honda recommended changing the fluid* every two years for STs, I'd imagine it is the same for NCs (check your manual). Coolant today has corrosion inhibitors that age, hence some anti freeze brands suggest changing every two, four, or more years. Oil and filter get changed as a matter of course. Battery life is variable from example to example but 4 or 5 years is a good lifetime. Depending on where you ride you might want to change the battery proactively. I had a battery die in a small town with none available nearby. Fortunately, after waiting a bit the bike started and I made it to my destination where I borrowed a Lithium jump pack.

Routine maintenance is usually pretty easy, and is always cheaper and less inconvenient than a breakdown on a trip.

*I don't know if the clutch on a '20 is hydraulic or cable. If the former, change the fluid when you do the brake fluid
All manual transmission NC7x0X clutches are cable operated. Per the manual, engine oil filter and clutch oil filter (DCT) recommended change interval is 16,000 miles, not time dependent.

All manual transmission NC7x0X clutches are cable operated. Per the manual, engine oil filter and clutch oil filter (DCT) recommended change interval is 16,000 miles, not time dependent.
Thanks. How about brake fluid and aunt freeze?

My 2013 owners manual & service manual shows engine oil changes at 8,000 miles or annually. The DCT variant has its own filter and it is changed at 16,000 miles. I'm pretty sure my 2015 manual was the same.

I've not seen a Honda motorcycle yet that didn't have the "xxxx miles or annually" which ever comes first but there may be some models that don't have the annual part.

My 2013 owners manual & service manual shows engine oil changes at 8,000 miles or annually. The DCT variant has its own filter and it is changed at 16,000 miles. I'm pretty sure my 2015 manual was the same.

I've not seen a Honda motorcycle yet that didn't have the "xxxx miles or annually" which ever comes first but there may be some models that don't have the annual part.
You’re correct on the manual’s recommendations for oil changes: 8000 miles or 1 year. I had made no comment on oil change interval in the post you quoted.

The oil filter intervals do not note a time exception in the 2020 manual, only the mileage specification. As the OP asks about a 2020, I stated it’s engine oil filter and DCT oil filter change interval of 16,000 miles. Attached is the 2020 NC750X maintenance schedule, which reflects what I wrote in post #5.

I did notice just now that coolant replacement on my 2012 is recommended every 2 years, but for 2020, it’s every 3 years.

72B26CD0-B6A7-475B-8B5F-B0777081B615.jpeg679DDBCD-2066-4375-B96F-8DB622B7392F.jpeg

Last edited:
My 2002 Honda GL1800 does not have a time based or annual oil change specification. The oil is to be changed at 8000 mile intervals after the initial 4000 mile service. See attached photo of my manual.

C6C8A0BF-AF7C-41CC-BE85-48E17A07D1DE.jpeg

It is interesting how different bikes have different service intervals. For example, my VStrom's coolant gets changed every 2 years, unless one uses Suzi's super coolant - then it is every 4 years. It has to be a matter of the additive package that prevents corrosion.

It is interesting how different bikes have different service intervals. For example, my VStrom's coolant gets changed every 2 years, unless one uses Suzi's super coolant - then it is every 4 years. It has to be a matter of the additive package that prevents corrosion.
More interesting is how different vehicle types have different service intervals. I have a Chrysler vehicle with a V6 engine. It’s coolant replacement is at 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. (The coolant is a different chemistry than what Honda uses). I wish motorcycle manufacturers would get on board with more modern maintenance requirements. They seem almost stuck in the ‘80s with their maintenance schedules.

While the power train is completely different on my GM car, other than tire management and cabin air filter change (if needed), there is no maintenance due for the first 5 years.

More interesting is how different vehicle types have different service intervals. I have a Chrysler vehicle with a V6 engine. The coolant replacement is at 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. (The coolant is a different chemistry than what Honda uses). I wish motorcycle manufacturers would get on board with more modern maintenance requirements. They seem almost stuck in the ‘80s with their maintenance schedules.
Wow! 10 years for coolant changes...I could love that. Why not hydraulic valve lifters and other maintenance saving practices - like making parts accessible without having to remove an engine from the frame. Remember the Corvette that refused access to the rear spark plug?

On second thought, what does Chrysler charge for that 10 year juice?

Wow! 10 years for coolant changes...I could love that. Why not hydraulic valve lifters and other maintenance saving practices - like making parts accessible without having to remove an engine from the frame. Remember the Corvette that refused access to the rear spark plug?

On second thought, what does Chrysler charge for that 10 year juice?
Our boat and our Can-Am three wheeler have high performance Rotax engines that never need valve adjustments. Some manufacturers are on board with designing in lower maintenance needs. The Honda Ridgeline I once had seemed to need more maintenance than typical of modern cars/trucks, one of the reasons I got rid of it.

I couldn’t find the Mopar coolant price right off hand, but it was comparable to Honda’s coolant pricing.

I‘m a party to this thread drifting off topic, so I’ll leave it at that. Further maintenance discussions could take place in The Bar forum.

My 2002 Honda GL1800 does not have a time based or annual oil change specification. The oil is to be changed at 8000 mile intervals after the initial 4000 mile service. See attached photo of my manual.

View attachment 53967
While it is interesting that Honda omitted the annual recommendation on the 2002 Goldwing the Q was asked of the NC750's service intervals and my 2012, 2015, 2013 NCs all have the 12 month or 8,000/16,000 mile recommendation. I expect the 2021-2024 manuals have not changed that. I have the factory manual for my 1986 CH80 and it has 1,000 miles or 12 months recommendation.

By 2006 Honda Goldwing manuals recommended 8,000 miles or 12 months.

I agree that the “started once a month” is a bit problematic. Certainly nothing to cause immediate concern, and it may not have any discernible negative effect on the vehicle, but it’s a bad idea that some people just won’t let die. A shockingly low-mileage NC is a great thing to find, but I wouldn’t pay a huge premium for the lack of mileage.

Back