• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2022: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would recommend removing the plugs at the first recommended interval to inspect and add some anti- seize to the threads. I have seen too many instances of the galled threads stripping if left in too long.
Not according to NGK

That is why I started and ran the bike for 3 minutes...just long enough to get things heated up but not too hot. I had no trouble removing the plugs....nothing seized. The honda repair manual also states do not adjust the gap on the plugs. I discovered the oil filter on my Prius C is much easier to remove when the engine has been warmed up.

Found this on a Google search:
Metal shell stretch changes the heat rating of the spark plug and can result in serious engine damage caused by pre-ignition. Do not use anti-seize or lubricant on NGK spark plugs. It is completely unnecessary and can be detrimental.

Is this true for all spark plug brands?
Found this:
Many spark plug manufacturers have issued statements saying that using anti-seize on spark plugs in 2018/19 is not advised. For example, NGK, Autolite, Champion, Bosch, Denso, AC Delco, will all tell you not to use anti-seize with their modern coated spark plugs

Anti-seize reduces the friction coefficient:

• What this means is you need to decrease your dry torque values by %20 roughly. Unless wherever you’re getting torque values from specifically states “wet” torque, then it is dry torque (they are assuming the threads are NOT lubricated). If you consistently tighten wet threads to dry torque values you will at some point break a spark plug off in the head, or do damage in some other way.

You only need a dab of anti-seize, and you must only apply it to the middle of the threads very carefully. Do not place anti-seize on the first thread in either direction.

The reason NGK states not to use anti seize is that many DIY wrenchers don’t realize it changes the torque value and lots of damage to cylinder heads is done by hacks that don’t follow the torque value anyway. It’s better to tell people not to use it than deal with the fall out.

To me this falls into the category of Darwinian warnings that coffee is hot and objects in the mirror are closer then they appear.

The reason NGK states not to use anti seize is that many DIY wrenchers don’t realize it changes the torque value and lots of damage to cylinder heads is done by hacks that don’t follow the torque value anyway. It’s better to tell people not to use it than deal with the fall out.
To me this falls into the category of Darwinian warnings that coffee is hot and objects in the mirror are closer then they appear.

That reminds me a little of my Chrysler automatic transmission. There were apparently some failures attributed to people overfilling or underfilling the transmission fluid. So the manufacturer took away the transmission dipstick (because of the dipsticks) and installed a cap on the tube that you are told not to remove. The dipstick is now a service tool.

Last edited:

According to NGK

1. Anti-seize
NGK spark plugs feature trivalent plating. This silver or chrome-colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without lubrication or anti-seize.

According to NGK

1. Anti-seize
NGK spark plugs feature trivalent plating. This silver or chrome-colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without lubrication or anti-seize.
1. Anti-seize

Anti-seize can act as a lubricant, altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage and/or metal shell stretch. Thread breakage can sometimes involve removing the cylinder head for repair. Metal shell stretch changes the heat rating of the spark plug and can result in serious engine damage caused by pre-ignition. Do not use anti-seize or lubricant on NGK spark plugs. It is completely unnecessary and can be detrimental.

Yesterday I've reached the 2500km mark, not much since I don't have a lot of time on my hands, but I'm having so much fun with this toy especially in the city, DCT is amazing. I'm not missing my FZ8 at all, especially the wind protection that was missing on that bike or maybe I'm just getting older... :rolleyes: :p

Snapseed 2.jpg

Yesterday I've reached the 2500km mark, not much since I don't have a lot of time on my hands, but I'm having so much fun with this toy especially in the city, DCT is amazing. I'm not missing my FZ8 at all, especially the wind protection that was missing on that bike or maybe I'm just getting older... :rolleyes: :p

View attachment 48635
I really like the blue.

View attachment 48635
That is truly a beautiful machine! The blue holds a special place with me. I like your givi screen, it flows well with the lines of the motorcycle.

Installed a set of engine guards--Krator brand although they seem to be Givi's with a different logo on the plastic bumper--were a bit cheaper -actually purchased from Walmart oddly enough--if anyone is installing a set you can keep the bushings in place with a bit of caulk or duct tape--makes the reinstallation of the engine mount bolts a little easier-you wont need more fingers than you have on 2 hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back