• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2022: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hated the X Grip for my Samsung Galaxy phone. The upper grab tabs of the "X" were right on the power/volume buttons on my phone, and there wasn't any way to position it to where it wasn't an issue. If it works for your phone, great! Just keep in mind where your buttons are and where the X grip grabs the phone.

I kinda wish I had a dedicated GPS setup on my street NC and my cruiser, but no more than I have the need for it, my phone works ok for now.

And today, I have done nothing to either NC.....but Sunday, I will be prepping and loading up the track NC to get ready for a track day at Barber Motorsports Park this coming Monday! First track day of the year and the weather is supposed to be sunny and in the low to mid 70's! Couldn't ask for more perfect weather! I'm ready to melt some Michelins!!
There are warnings from Apple that the vibrations from continued use of the iPhone on a motorcycle can mess up the camera in the phone. Not sure how true that is, but cheap GPS is better than ruining an $800+ phone for me…

There are warnings from Apple that the vibrations from continued use of the iPhone on a motorcycle can mess up the camera in the phone. Not sure how true that is, but cheap GPS is better than ruining an $800+ phone for me…
I don’t know about the vibration, but I doubt my phones would do well while riding in a rain storm. On the other hand, dedicated motorcycle GPS units are typically IPX7 water resistant, so I always go with that. If it starts pouring rain on me during the ride, the GPS survives.

Last edited:
Or get a used/cheap phone to use only as a GPS.
Heck, I got a cheap phone ($50) (ZTE) I bought new and it does everything a $1000 phone can do (except crappy pictures). It does hotspot at the rate of 2 dsl lines. It serfs the Internet as fast as my wife's Iphone 11 (on the same service and in the same house)...actually connects better as a hotspot to the TV than her Iphone.... Had it over 2 years now and still running good.

I've officially hit the point where I have spent more on parts and upgrades than I did to purchase the bike. (Spent $3000 to buy a 2013 NC700X in Jul 2018, tally of parts/upgrades/etc is $3053).

Does this mean I officially have a farkling problem?

(Side note: this includes things like motor oil, filters, etc. does NOT include registration/insurance/annual fees. Does NOT include gear/helmets/etc. Does include $300 of replacement muffler/mirror/parts of repair from a crash. Etc. It's an estimate).

I've officially hit the point where I have spent more on parts and upgrades than I did to purchase the bike. (Spent $3000 to buy a 2013 NC700X in Jul 2018, tally of parts/upgrades/etc is $3053).

Does this mean I officially have a farkling problem?

(Side note: this includes things like motor oil, filters, etc. does NOT include registration/insurance/annual fees. Does NOT include gear/helmets/etc. Does include $300 of replacement muffler/mirror/parts of repair from a crash. Etc. It's an estimate).
What kind of upgrades have you done so far and what have been the best upgrades? Any you wish you hadn’t done?

Great question, Luke'd. Here's the short version (I will try to come back and post a longer version later in the weekend): All of my mods have been done with commuting in mind. I wanted to make my bike the ultimate commuter, that is still fun to take out in the country on evenings or weekends.

In terms of quality of life, I think the top three, in order, would be the top box, heated hand grips, and USB charger in the frunk + phone mount (I skipped the 12V "cigarette" socket and went for an USB quick charger unit instead).

My most useless mod is probably the stainless steel brake lines. I think just changing fluid and bleeding the brakes would have resulted in similar improvement in brake performance, and the steel braided lines don't really do anything. But, it was a fun project and I love the way they look.

I don't have any mods that I wish I had not done. My one regret is using low quality components for my additional lighting. I used cheap Amazon lights for side markers, and they were difficult to install and flickered if the sync function was enabled. I plan to redo those at some point with better lights, better wiring, and proper connectors.

The one mod I didn't think I would like, but decided to try was crash bars. Someone on this forum had R-Gaza bars they didn't want, and were offering them for free (just the cost of shipping). I reluctantly put them on, but didn't love the look. Then, a week later, I slipped on gravel and low-sided. The entire left fairing would have been smashed up, if not for the bars. Instead, I got a scratch on the crash bar (easily fixed with spray paint) and a scraped mirror. Well worth it.

Next up will be the cartridge emulators in my front suspension forks. Starting on that Sunday.

Almost all of these parts were good deals -- either "used like new" on eBay (top case & brackets), or re-sold by someone here on the forums (R-Gaza bars, tall windscreen, Corbin seat, etc). Thanks to this great community, I've been able to tinker and upgrade!

59 miles, 36 degrees and snow flurries. I love it when it snow flurries and riding reminds you of the scene in Star Wars where the Millenium Falcon jumps to warp speed with all these small white things flying past you real fast. Kinda cool!

59 miles, 36 degrees and snow flurries. I love it when it snow flurries and riding reminds you of the scene in Star Wars where the Millenium Falcon jumps to warp speed with all these small white things flying past you real fast. Kinda cool!
Haha, yeah I get it !

I don’t know about the vibration, but I doubt my phones would do well while riding in a rain storm. On the other hand, dedicated motorcycle GPS units are typically IPX7 water resistant, so I always go with that. If it starts pouring rain on me during the ride, the GPS survives.
My iPhone 2020 SE is rated IP67 or resistant to water intrusion when immersed in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. This without a protective case. All I use is a hard rubber perimeter case to protect the edges and corners. I’ve never tested it in three feet of water but driving rain has never bothered it.

My iPhone 2020 SE is rated IP67 or resistant to water intrusion when immersed in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. This without a protective case. All I use is a hard rubber perimeter case to protect the edges and corners. I’ve never tested it in three feet of water but driving rain has never bothered it.
Good to know. I’m actually using an SE but it is probably 4-5 years old. I never looked up it’s water rating but now I’ll need to. Thanks.

Good to know. I’m actually using an SE but it is probably 4-5 years old. I never looked up it’s water rating but now I’ll need to. Thanks.
Uhh, the 2020 SE came out in 2020.

It will sense if water gets in the charge port and then shuts down charging. I unplug it and put the phone in a pocket or the frunk during extended or heavy rain.

Uhh, the 2020 SE came out in 2020.

It will sense if water gets in the charge port and then shuts down charging. I unplug it and put the phone in a pocket or the frunk during extended or heavy rain.
Yes, I figured maybe the 2020 SE came out in 2020. I definitely have an iPhone SE, but it is obviously a 2016 SE as it is 4-5 years old. It has the iPhone 5S form factor with the processor of a 6S. That is why I need to check the water resistance specs as it is likely a very different design than your 2020. Thanks again for calling it to my attention, as I had assumed it was not water resistant, but perhaps it is.

I’ve destroyed cameras on I phone 7, 8, and an XR due to the handlebar vibrations on my other motorcycle. I went to great lengths to fix the cameras until I read an article on how phone cameras are being destroyed this way. On all of the phones, the camera bounces and crackles. Long story short, the electromagnetic stabilizer is thrown out of whack by the handlebar vibrations. One phone I successfully used a rare earth magnet near the camera lens to stabilize the electromagnetic sensor, or more like overpower it, so I could take steady pictures.

I was a slow learner…

another mileage milestone on today's ride

zLv7Czgh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back