• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, at 500+ lbs and 47 hp or so if you want to execute a safe pass, under most circumstances you <better> downshift ;-)

Yes.
But that does not explain how the torque that is always available translates to real "pull" when needed/wanted.
I am sure it is a knowledge deficit on my part............or advertising/marketing BS...............

Max torque is not always available. It is available in each gear at a certain rpm.
Unless you are on an electric bike.

the NC has a pretty wide range of torque delivery ; }

092016-2016-Honda-NC-700X-hp-torque-dyno.jpg

Postman delivered some new Ninja Throwing Stars and some kind of chain weapon?

4fc217e4add665e7d34c45da5e253d55.jpg

The existing chain has a few loose links and a couple of tight ones at just under 10k miles. It's probably fine but I'm getting bike maintenance done while it is still cold and rainy. Rain didn't help the OEM chain much either I think I only cleaned it about 5 times last year?

These will go on in a couple of weeks when my Nitron R2 shock arrives and the wheel is off for swingarm bearing inspection/lube. :)

Yes.
But that does not explain how the torque that is always available translates to real "pull" when needed/wanted.
I am sure it is a knowledge deficit on my part............or advertising/marketing BS...............
Torque at the engine is constant, but changing gear ratio changes torque at the wheel proportionally to the gear ratio change.

Picked it up from the dealership, put on the new exhaust, windscreen extender and the other stuff, removed the dealership sticker and went on a ride :)

Went on a ride to Natural Bridge State Park

efb6597e697b86a9dc567ecae843530c.jpg

This happened:

7838dd44873d25ab507418737b02ecfe.jpg

Took a ferry:

e299dae864b254c8523f7caac831b93c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Changed out the air filter, it was easier taking it apart than putting it back together. Cleaned and lubed thew chain. Next week change out the oil and brake fluid.

City Rider- if you have any issues or need help while camping, post it. A few of us on here live or work in Louisville which is only about 20 miles north of Shepardsville. Note: weather forecast for Saturday not good, high of around 50'f with rain all day. Also, Saturday is Thunder over Louisville day, so stay away from downtown Louisville unless you like crowds and airshows-downtown Louisville at the river. They have one of the largest fireworks shows which starts around 9pm (or 930pm).
Hi David, thank you for generous offer; however, I'm back in Chicago. Last night rained heavily, but I brought my waterproof tent (the only waterproof tent that I have is 6 person tent, so I was camping in style). I left Louisville around 12:00 pm and it was raining for first 70 miles, and then it cleared up. During my stay, I did not have chance to explore Kentucky, since I was spending most of my time at Expo center watching Robotics world competition. Regardless, it was a nice trip, no regrets here.

NC Camp.jpg

What is the relation between engine RPM and engine torque? - Quora

Torque is not constant, it varies based on engine RPM. The NC's motor has a fairly flat torque curve, which means the NC will have about the same ability to accelerate at any RPM, assuming no additional load is put on the motor (in the form of weight, wind resistance, etc.). But, because there will be more wind resistance at higher speeds of travel, you may have to downshift in order to accelerate quickly in some situations. Unfortunately, because the torque curve is so flat, downshifting will only help a little on the NC. What that means is you'll likely have to shift back up shortly after accelerating in order to get the most out of the engine.

Torque is not constant, it varies based on engine RPM. The NC's motor has a fairly flat torque curve, which means the NC will have about the same ability to accelerate at any RPM, assuming no additional load is put on the motor (in the form of weight, wind resistance, etc.). But, because there will be more wind resistance at higher speeds of travel, you may have to downshift in order to accelerate quickly in some situations. Unfortunately, because the torque curve is so flat, downshifting will only help a little on the NC. What that means is you'll likely have to shift back up shortly after accelerating in order to get the most out of the engine.

THat is sort of what I am saying I think.

Maybe another thread.
Sorry for the continued drift.
I'll quit now.

There are a few mistakes in that linked article but that's probably a subject for another thread.

It says torque and speed are inversely proportional to each other. If you look at the NC engine chart posted earlier, you can see that is not a true statement. On the NC engine, the engine speed (rpm) is rising but the torque is failrly constant. However, it would be correct to say that at a constant given horsepower output, torque and RPM would be inversely proportional to each other. But few engines output a constant power level throughout their RPM range.

Another mistake: it says engine torque is related to gearing. That is not true. Transmission output shaft torque is related to gearing.

That also looks like a bogus power and torque chart. The linear climb of the horsepower would imply a fairly flat torque curve, not that big hump they show in the illustration. If you take a few sample points off that chart, the math doesn't add up.

In the off season it's fun to debate power vs torque vs RPM, but for now let's ride.

Last edited:
Theres a few mistakes in that article but that's a subject for another thread.

For example, it says engine torque is related to gearing. That is not true. Transmission output shaft torque is related to gearing.

That also looks like a bogus power and torque chart. The linear climb of the horsepower would imply a fairly flat torque curve, not that big hump they show in the illustration.

Yeah, after rereading it I got kinda the same impression. Some of the later responses are okay, but I'm sure there are better places to find reference material.

Started to put on the Cameleon plus automatic chain oiler. Had to snip off close to a foot of tubing
ba01638e8bc59cb199907991e43048a9.jpg
80def41f327c21f69440952bcacbbea2.jpg
ba2e1d67dee30f2d197cb6fd4de65b84.jpg
The only complaint about this bike is the rubic's cube body panels. Taking off the tail cowl and tail light pod is a pain. Did grommets really cost that much more? Should finish up either Sunday evening or Monday. New DanMoto exhaust should be here Monday too. Had to cut out a bit to run the tube up the rail. Will post finished product tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dedication? More like desperation, we've waited long enough.:p

I was almost desperate enough to commute again today. The snow is off the roads, the mud is mostly dry, there is no precipitation in the forecast for today, but it was -12 C this morning and that's a bit outside my motorcycle gear comfort zone.

I could have pulled out the snowmobile gear but I might just wait another week.

Yesterday I did about 40 miles riding with my regular riding friend to the flea market to pick up snacks to take along on our rides. We never know when or where we may be to eat so we always bring water and snacks. However, we did a 268 mile ride up to and on the Plateau and back home. The Plateau is between Knoxville, TN and Nashville, TN. Beautiful farms, nice rolling hills and mountains going up and down. We did get a bit damp on the way back. It's been raining here for a week, spotty showers, so you can never count on riding some good curvy roads that are dry.

This coming week is suppose to have several nice days without rain so I know we'll ride then.

On a strong recommendation from DCTFAN I signed up for May 6 MSF Dirt Bike School - Closed Ranges and May 7 MSF Dirt Bike School - Introduction to Trail Riding, both in Alpharetta, GA. Chose to use their MCs so the initial learning experience won't involve dropping my bike. Sure plenty of that will come later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back