• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only frown/question: It seems I can't shuffle between the three "S" modes when underway. Choice of "S" must be made when stopped. If that's my only complaint, then this bike rocks!

That's correct, can't quite figure out the reasoning though! When I got mine I rode in the various modes getting a feel for the various shift points etc. For me and the roads I frequent, S2 is where I ride if I'm more interested in a "fun" ride than an economical ride. So it remembers that S2 setting and will allow me to switch on the fly between S2 and D, but not between the S modes. For most of my daily commute I'll be in D, but there's a section where I switch to S2 for the curves which allows me to hold my chosen gear longer and accelerate out smoother. In D it will change gear mid-curve (approx. 37mph) and then when I accelerate out it will drop 6 > 4 if I twist hard, or 6 > 5 if I'm more gentle. S2 allows me to drop manually down to 4 heading in and it will hold it there as I accelerate out. Someone once posted on here their [unscientific] experience with what speed/revs it would change using the different settings. However as many will state that it's a learning algorithm you will probably find that it's more of a dynamic guide than static hard factual table.

And yes, this bike totally rocks! Coming from a mountain bike that had trigger shifters, and a scooter that was a twist'n'go, the DCT was a no brainer. It can shift quicker and smoother than I probably would ever be able to do, and I have the option for manual without being able to stall, or one of the automatic modes while still retaining the option to up or downshift as needed. If I'm in traffic it's a piece of cake (and I used to drive a shift stick car), but you can still have the fun of manual when you want! I also found that it enables me to focus on the other aspects of learning to ride without the distraction of the shifting process. I get that it becomes second nature after a while, but in those critical early days I'm not worried about stalling or having the wrong gear when learning the rest of how to ride safely amongst drivers that sometimes seem intent to run you over!

...It seems I can't shuffle between the three "S" modes when underway...

The trick is to close the throttle, you don't need to stop. If you are on the throttle it will only toggle between D and the S mode you're in.

1.jpg

Last edited:
The trick is to close the throttle, you don't need to stop. If you are on the throttle it will only toggle between D and the S mode you're in.

I just figured this out. After 9,000 miles. I guess I should read the owner's manual more carefully?

All the times I ever switched modes was at a stop sign or light...

Today I placed orders for Race Tech Gold Valves + Fork Springs + 15w Oil, plus two extra pipes in case I screw up the drilling / need to go back to stock.
Total cost for everything was about $300 including shipping, pipes from ProCaliber for about $50 and everything else from Amazon.com.
I also ordered some preload adjustable fork caps for $25 (cheap chinese crap. if they work I might by better quality ones.)

Initially I was going for the Cogent Dynamics but it seems more people here have had better/more experience with the Race Tech valves.
(Plus after re-reading my suspension handbooks, I think that drilling the pipe and letting the RT valve handle everything is a better way to go.)

View attachment 32570
This is also how the S-mode works on the CRF1000L.
Just wish it would go back to my preferred setting (S2) as a default,
not the last selected mode.

50 and sunny, windy. I went for a nice ride and explored some back roads. I stopped by a pretty creek to eat and tried to take a picture, but apparently I did a major fail at telling the camera where to focus.
I am going to try mounting the gopro on a strap on my chest, rather than using the chesty gopro mount, which is sort of a pain to put on

.IMG_1994.jpg

Last edited:
I mounted and wired my new Garmin 660LM. Tired of messing with the RAM mount and my iPhone - the mount and the phone buttons don't play well together. I know there are other options, but I like the Garmin. Now the phone can stay in the Frunk and the two play well with the Sena I have in my helmet. The mounting kit that comes standard with the Garmin 660LM is brilliant - the GPS is designed for motorcycles. I went with the mount that attached to the brake reservoir clamp and it works great.

Drove to work and realized I never got around to posting a pic of my bike up.
Purchased the exhaust, windscreen, and levers from various forum members. Really appreciate all the info you guys have posted for newbies like me. She's my first!

I'll put some better pictures up when i get to playing "tag" this weekend.

IMG_0178.jpg
Yes, i do have a cover for the wires under the tail fairing. Took it off while i was taking pictures to showcase the work underneath.

I mounted and wired my new Garmin 660LM. Tired of messing with the RAM mount and my iPhone - the mount and the phone buttons don't play well together. I know there are other options, but I like the Garmin. Now the phone can stay in the Frunk and the two play well with the Sena I have in my helmet. The mounting kit that comes standard with the Garmin 660LM is brilliant - the GPS is designed for motorcycles. I went with the mount that attached to the brake reservoir clamp and it works great.

I have the same setup, works very well. :cool:
Though I carry my phone, so far the frunk is empty aside from a hat and/or an old pillow case for when the vStream is mounted in winter.

Received the Battery Tender-branded SAE to USB adapter to charge my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 while riding. If I know where I'm going the smartphone will be in the frunk. If I'm lost it'll be on the handlebar RAM Mount X-Grip.

USB-Battery-Tender.jpg

Thursday I rode with 3 friends in the TN and NC mountains and backroads, about 253 miles worth. Today I did another 90 miles over to the Smoky Mtn. National Park down to Cades Cove and back. Nice weather and plenty of blue sky. Good to be back on the bike after 3 month absence with broke leg.

i-SP4BpmM

Last edited:
Today I'm gonna do what I do almost every day with my NC700x. Drive to La Jolla Cove, park in the exclusive motorcycle parking right in front, complete my two mile open water swim, and drive back home a happy camper.

I mounted mine on the metal plate of my Madstad. Had to drill two holes, but it works very well.

1231151827a_zpsr5pn0ruy-L.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back