• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What Engine Bars ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1183
  • Start date
My bars are evenly spaced also. I strongly recommend these bars as they are very robustly mounted.

Update on the bolts. I finally picked them up from the Fastenal dealer. Yesterday I set about installing them. In the course of doing so, I became aware that the non threaded shanks of the bolts got uncomfortably close to the threaded part of the crankcase. This was sufficiently so for me not to be sure that I was tightening the unthreaded aspect of the bolt against the crankcase thread as well as the bolt's head. This was also the case with the bolt that I would have swapped from right side to opposite position on the left. As recommended I had also ordered washers as the bolts that Beemerphile had suggested were a little longer than the norm. This extra length is also part of the problem.

To remedy this issue, after measuring depth of thread etc etc, I installed two washers with each bolt. As I had ordered only four washers I was only able to apply the new bolts on one side which I have done. Accordingly to anyone using longer bolts to mount the Givi Crashbars, please keep an eye on this aspect. I will get further washers and install the new bolts in the left side later. I am aware that the extra washers and the 19mm head on the new bolts are not as neat and tidy as the original bolts but on this bike they are well out of sight. That's about it for now.

Thought I'd stir up the brew a bit!

I've used Givi products and generally like them, especially their cases. I installed a set of Givi engine guards on my WeeStrom several years ago, and lining up the bolts, guards and holes was a test of strength, endurance and vocabulary! Sometime later I purchased another Wee and decided to add engine guards, but went with AltRider guards. The difference was amazing. Where as the Givi units had to be forced into place, the Altrider bars fit so precisely that they could be simply set into place and they stayed there on their own..of course I added bolts, but the fit was spot-on, and the finish was exceptional.

As it turns out AltRider is developing a product line for our NC700X and I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the engine guards. I even volunteered my NC7 as a test mule, but no such luck. AltRider anticipates a mid 2014 release.

I've no affiliation with the company, although they are in Seattle (WA, U.S.A.) where I have two adult children living.

Here is a link to their developing NC7 line. I wish it was more informative!

http://www.altrider.com/search/search

Last edited:
As it turns out AltRider is developing a product line for our NC700X and I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the engine guards. I even volunteered my NC7 as a test mule, but no such luck. AltRider anticipates a mid 2014 release.

I've no affiliation with the company, although they are in Seattle (WA, U.S.A.) where I have two adult children living.

Here is a link to their developing NC7 line. I wish it was more informative!

http://www.altrider.com/search/search

My buddy with a Super Tenere has AltRider items, and he is very happy with the fit and finish. He and I bent the ears of the guys at Altrider with much unsolicited advice and how they should design and market stuff, what fasteners they should use, etc., when they were up here at our last M/C show. LOL
;)

Very nice fellows to talk to, they seemed genuinely interested and engaging.

At that time (late January) they claimed any NC700 stuff was still way on the backburners, but it didn't prevent me from trying to plead and weasel for them to hurry up :eek:

I have no doubt that the Alt Rider products will be as good as folks suggest. However, if I remember correctly they have been "coming" for a very long time indeed and the bike is now in its second year. I went in just now to have a look at the design of the pending bars, and there is nothing to see save for a written description. The sad thing here is that if a bike is dropped while the owner waits for Alt Rider bars, then any amount of perfect fit will not compensate on such an occasion. The Givis are not perfect I will agree. However they are robust and ON my bike, and hopefully will stay there undamaged for some time to come.

Back