• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What Engine Bars ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1183
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1183

I am aware that there are threads on here on this subject already. I note that folks have fitted the following, H&B, Givi and SW Motech. However I wonder if anyone has used brands of engine protection other than these three ? For instance, has anyone fitted the items per link below ?

http://www.over.jp/item/59-21-02B/

I am particularly interested in these items but the cost is high, particularly to get them shipped to Ireland.

Also what is the opinion of the Honda Light Bars. I have yet to get a front on shot of these to see what protection they afford to the frame downtubes and the radiator. Perhaps someone could post a shot or two. It would be very much appreciated.

I got the light bar for that purpose since I can't afford the lights... I haven't dropped the bike so I can't testify to it's strength. Hopefully I won't have to. It looks like it will keep the radiator from totally losing a corner though.

There's probably a very good reason Honda called their light bar a light bar instead of an engine guard.....

I will post you a picture of the light bar later when i get home. I have both the sw motech engine guards and the honda light bar. I did drop the bike a few days ago in my garage and gracefully guided it down as best I could. We all know that point of no return where the bike is going to just fall, so all i could do was take as much wight off the fall as I could. I also have the givi trecker lights installed on the light bar and have them slightly angled out to the sides. The bike didnt even come close to hitting the light bar due to the sw motech bars. All i got was a bent brake pedal that I bent back into place. In a higher speed crash on the road I do believe that the light bar would help some. The bars come as 2 peices that bolt togther in the front and bolt to the front and side frame of the bike. Also the light bar brings a lot of character to the bike imo. Also it looks like you couldnt do both set ups with those chrome crash bars u found becasue the light bar attaches in the same place.

Many thanks for the responses so far. I look forward to seeing the shots of the light bars.

Here is a close up of the light bar. Not sure how much protection it really offers the radiator. Or anything for that matter. It's mounted pretty high. Are there any specific angles you want to see? I can go out to my bike at lunchtime and take a few photos.

122-1211-15-o+2012-honda-NC700X+.jpg

Here is a close up of the light bar. Not sure how much protection it really offers the radiator. Or anything for that matter. It's mounted pretty high. Are there any specific angles you want to see? I can go out to my bike at lunchtime and take a few photos.

View attachment 10531

Many thanks for that. Perhaps if you took a shot head-on I will be able to judge how far they protrude beyond the Rad and the frame downtubes. That would be really helpful.

I had went outside and taken some photos before seeing your message. If these don't work let me know. The bike is pretty dirty so they photos may not be the best. Had some nasty roads lately.

20131217_104233.jpg

20131217_104245.jpg

20131217_104258.jpg

Many thanks for the shots S Chuck. From what I can see the rad is well protected, as is the bodywork. I am thinking in terms also of putting on some R&G engine covers which should be sufficient to cover the consequences of a low speed off. My other major concern is the frame downtubes as they are in a very exposed position and cannot be replaced or repaired without a complete new frame. The other various crashbars are ok but like everything, have their weak points. Thanks again

Honda lights bar is its just for the lights it offers very minimum protection or no protection at all. Try some aftermarket crash bars like H&B.

that light bar will do more damage due to it will bend into the body work if dropped much better to buy a givi or wm-motec crash bars.

All points are taken on board folks and thanks again for the input. I am looking at these also......

HONDA NC700x Crash Bars Engine Bars Black

However I cannot see sufficient detail as to how they are fitted. I have written to the store for more detail but so far have not heard back from them. I also like the Japanese items on my previous post, but they are seriously expensive when the shipping cost is added. However I have to balance that off against the cost of possible damage, as I ride all year round in poor conditions on backroads, and the risk of a toss is always there. Some thinking to do.

Update.......

http://www.biker-discount.co.uk/honda-nc700x-crash-bars--engine-bars-black-4876-p.asp

As the retailers in the UK did not respond to me I wrote direct to the manufacturers "Ernst Fehling". They responded within the day. These bars are mounted in three places from what I can see. The obvious point is the rear engine mount. A metal tab attaches to the front engine mount and another to the bottom of the frame down tube. The bar then attaches to them.

They are a well finished product but I still cannot make up my mind on this one. I feel there is too much scope for movement or bending of the tabs in an impact.

I like the Givi mounting points as they look solid, but for me the usage of the original Honda bolts is a minus. Johnakay suggests he had difficulty in sourcing bolts of the correct pitch if I am not mistaken.

SW Motech look well made . However there is a crossbar, and imho an impact on one bar will push the other out of position also. My other question is, is there potential also for the crash bar hit the radiator in an impact. Again, if anyone has a front on shot of a set of SW Motech bars, a shot would be appreciated.

I am still considering the Honda Light bars. I like that they mount direct to the frame using a clamp. Yes they would bend a little but they look quite robust. I reckon the crankcase would suffer though in an impact.

The most interesting crash bar for me is the Japanese item previously linked on this thread. It looks very robust and solidly mounted. However the cost to me here in Ireland is 332 euro. I could also be hit for a further 100 euro duty and Vat on entry here, if local Customs get a hold of it first.

Last edited by a moderator:
that light bar will do more damage due to it will bend into the body work if dropped much better to buy a givi or wm-motec crash bars.

I like the Givi Mounting points especially where it clamps to the frame. However I would not be happy to use the Original mounting bolts . Were you successful in tracing some longer ones ?

6.jpgAn important consideration is what accessories are you going to add to the engine guards. I have my running lights and highway pegs attached to my engine guards. My Givi engine guards have been tested by me, unfortunately in a 65 mph crash. They did their job! I believe every thing that Beemerpile says, so I did go to a bolt only supplier and purchase the bolts that Beemerpile suggested. They were special ordered and I picked the bolts up the next day. The bolts were no big problem and cost only a few dollars.

Gurards.jpg

SmileyHorny.jpg

Last edited:
Do the Givi crash bars have a cross bar connecting each side's crash bar together? Or is each side independently mounted with no connections between each side? So each side's crashbar would act independently? A get off on one side of the bike would not affect the integrity of the crashbar on the opposite side of the bike?

I will now do what I dislike being done to me ... so I'll do it carefully...

As I recall, Beemerphile encountered the same problem with the stock bolts. He didn't want to use them. He wanted longer ones. If I remember correctly (there's a big IF) he found them and listed his supplier.

Now the problem I have (much as I love this board) is that it's darn near impossible to find anything when you search. I'm sure someone will argue with me about that, so I'll say it a different way ... I can not find anything with much specificity when I search because I am stupid and/or lazy. I have given up trying. I'm sure others are just great at finding stuff. I am not one of them.

I also find searching for older post a pain most of the time. So you're not alone StratTuner. I just spent twenty minutes last night looking for a Beemerphile post. I wish he would frequent the forum more often.

Back