• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stock Dunlop Tread

I got 10,260 out of my stock Pirelli (Scorpion Trail). Still had a couple of thousand miles left but was heading out on a long tour so I changed them out.

Put on PR4s and they went 10,800 miles. Probably could have kept them maybe for another 1,500 or so miles, but I had to get back to Maine ( 2,800 miles away), didn't want to chance it, and had already paid for them beforehand so I swapped them out. Didn't think they were anything special, and are a bit pricey so I don't think I'll go there again.

Next up were Dunlop RoadsmartII and I really liked them. Got about 12,040 (mostly commuting) but again, heading out for another long ride next week so I swapped them a few days ago, but they had maybe 1,500-2,000 miles left. I'm totally guessing at these extra miles, I know the wear might not be linear.

Liked I said, I liked those Dunlop RoadSmarts a lot, so replaced those RoadSmartIIs with the newer RoadsmartIII...and fully expect these to go the distance of my trip (14,000 or so). Not planning on changing them until I get back to Maine, will see what happens.

I run with a TPMS and keep front at 38 and rear at 40. Mileage is 90% high speed interstate travel, mostly in the heat of summer and about 120lbs under GVWR

I can't believe a 47 hp motorcycle can eat tires as bad as some of the reports indicate, maybe I'm just lucky ;-)

Last edited:
Hi Holloway,

For whatever reason some people get more wear out of tyres than others. Sometimes the people who get the most miles out of their tyres are the ones who use every last bit of tread up, even though the bike was handling like a bag of spuds for the last couple of thousand miles. As motorcycling is all about swinging thru the bends and enjoying the ride, you get to enjoy that to the best advantage with good tyres. Unfortunately, your tyres may still have legal tread depth but are badly worn out of shape. Tyres are one area a motorcyclist cannot afford to compromise - just put on some new ones and problem solved. I switched from stockers worn like yours at 5,000 miles and fitted Pirelli Angel GT. They are so much better to ride on with so much more "feel" and cornering confidence. Just replaced my front Angel GT at 12,000 miles and it still looked good but wasn't steering as nice as it originally was. Rear will get changed shortly at about 13,000 miles.

Back