• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tread depth Shinko Raven

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know the tread depth on a new rear 160/60 ZR17 Shinko Raven 09?

I'm down to 4/32" on mine at 3,782 miles. Have a 1000 mile trip coming up Friday-Sunday and I imagine it might be toast shortly after I get back.

I've no complaints about how the tire has performed, but I'm beginning to worry about it's longevity.

(btw) front has 4/32 tread left as well, but looks a lot better than the rear.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the tread depth on a new rear 160/60 ZR17 Shinko Raven 09?

I'm down to 4/32" on mine at 3,782 miles. Have a 1000K mile trip coming up Friday-Sunday and I imagine it might be toast shortly after I get back.

I've no complaints about how the tire has performed, but I'm beginning to worry about it's longevity.

(btw) front has 4/32 tread left as well, but looks a lot better than the rear.
Well 1,000,000 miles would exceed about any tire’s life, but you probably meant 1K miles.

My old Raven lasted somewhere aroound 10,000 miles. There is no way I can know how you ride or what the conditions are, but if yours was to last only 5000 miles, that would be rather shocking. I have a new Raven front in my stock, but not the rear, so unfortunately I can’t measure the new tread depth.

Well 1,000,000 miles would exceed about any tire’s life, but you probably meant 1K miles.

My old Raven lasted somewhere aroound 10,000 miles. There is no way I can know how you ride or what the conditions are, but if yours was to last only 5000 miles, that would be rather shocking. I have a new Raven front in my stock, but not the rear, so unfortunately I can’t measure the new tread depth.
LOL yea wasn't sure whether I wanted to spell out 1000 miles or 1k and ended up doing both. Fixed now.

I imagine I ride a lot like you, speed limit +- 5 mph, no jack rabbit starts, no really heavy braking, very little freeway, just daily riding on country curvy roads usually at 45-55 mph. I ride solo, in standard mode 100% of the time and average over 70 mpg on gas, so I consider myself a pretty easy rider.

Typical road and speed

SKcSpA6h.jpg

I was hoping to get at least 7,500 out of them when I put them on, but it's not looking good.

Trying to figure out how many 1/32's I have gone thru already.

Just out of curiosity what is the tread depth on your new front tire?

I’m jealous of your roads ferret, I have to ride quite a ways to get to any curves in the road. That looks like a good place to ride.
I’m the same, and so agree the Ferret’s roads look very nice. I would need to travel 100 miles to find anything curvy, and even then there are just few roads or short sections. It’s sort of the opposite of the Tail of the Dragon, having 11 curves in 318 miles.

Southern Ohio from about 20 miles east of Cincinnati east all the way to Marietta is nothing but curves. Once you get above I -70 which runs east to west across the state it flattens out and gets less curvy. Good curves start about 7/10 of a mile from my garage and go for 200 miles east and 100 miles north. Then there is northern Kentucky 20 minutes south, and West Virginia 3 1/2 hours east.

Many sports motorcycle and car clubs hold their rallies in southern Ohio ( particularly in SE Ohio)

Check out Ohio's Windy 9 centered in Athens County.

Its worth the ride if you are looking to ride some curves

Southern Ohio from about 20 miles east of Cincinnati east all the way to Marietta is nothing but curves. Once you get above I -70 which runs east to west across the state it flattens out and gets less curvy. Good curves start about 7/10 of a mile from my garage and go for 200 miles east and 100 miles north. Then there is northern Kentucky 20 minutes south, and West Virginia 3 1/2 hours east.

Many sports motorcycle and car clubs hold their rallies in southern Ohio ( particularly in SE Ohio)

Check out Ohio's Windy 9 centered in Athens County.

Its worth the ride if you are looking to ride some curves
above 70 into Amish country is still pretty windy, all the way up to Wooster. I don’t think it really straightens out until you’re near Canton and even then there are some great roads in the Cuyahoga valley around Cleveland.

I just replaced the rear Shinko 009 after 6100 miles. It was worn to the bottom of the wear indicators. I am a little disappointed in the life because I have used them on other bikes (diiferent size tire) and they last much longer. That said, it lasted longer than any other rear tire on my NC so far. I have < 12K on the NC and am on the 4th rear tire.

I just replaced the rear Shinko 009 after 6100 miles. It was worn to the bottom of the wear indicators. I am a little disappointed in the life because I have used them on other bikes (diiferent size tire) and they last much longer. That said, it lasted longer than any other rear tire on my NC so far. I have < 12K on the NC and am on the 4th rear tire.
All I can think of from reports of others like 670 on this forum is that not all Shinko's are created equal. I've also read on other forums of guys getting disparagingly different mileages out of them. One guy getting 10K another 5K. Of course some of that can be contributed to rider weight, riding style and road surface types.

If my Shinko goes 7,500 miles, I'll buy another set, strictly due to price. If it only goes 5K I'll probably buy another set of either Michelin R5's or Pirelli Angel GT's.

Like I said, I consider myself a pretty easy rider and we have good smooth roads for the most part. I turn 73 in a couple of weeks, and certainly don't ride like a road racer. I actually get more miles out of the tires on my larger, more powerful, heavier bikes. I'm at 9,177 miles on the rear Angel GT on my 88 hp, 571 pound CB 1100 and it's not due for replacement yet (but soon) ridden at the same speeds and on the same roads. The Angel GT I ran on my 58 hp 495 pound NC went 7,696 miles. I regularly got 9,000 miles plus out of the tires on my 150 hp 630 pound FJR and my 125 hp 717 pound ST 1300 , both of those ridden 2 up a lot.

A DCT should (imo) be slightly easier on tires than a manual if nothing else due to take offs and downshifts, because of the smoothness of the DCT trans shifts

BTW I'm at 27,000 miles and also on my 4th set of tires:

Original Metzler Tourance Next went 7,130 miles
Michelin R5 went 8,579 miles
Pirelli Angel GT went 7,696 miles
now this Shinko Raven which has gone 3,782
for 27,187 miles

getting ready to go for my daily ride now.

• Wow
Reactions: MZ5
Update:

I'm now at 5,509 miles on my Shinko Ravens and have maybe 1/32 or so to the wear bar. I don't think they are going to make my goal of 7,500 miles, but I'll keep running them until they are worn out and see how many miles I can get out of them. They look pretty good although the rear is looking a little flattened across the center but they still handle fine.

Right now, cost wise, they are sitting at .022 cents per mile, and each mile drops the per mileage cost.

As straight as the roads are around here, mine are always going to get flat in the center.

Are you sure about your math? Shouldn’t that be 2.2 cents per mile?

While roads in my area are typically straight, my NC’s front Raven had to be replaced at 15,000 miles because I wore the off-center tread more than the center. I think that wear pattern resulted from cornering on the rough, coarse pavement of northwest Arkansas, and perhaps some in the Smokies. I think if I could have balanced straight vs cornering wear, the tire would have gone 17,000, maybe 18,000 miles.

As straight as the roads are around here, mine are always going to get flat in the center.

Are you sure about your math? Shouldn’t that be 2.2 cents per mile?
Yes depends on how it`s written out. 2 cents would be written .02, ( example $ 1.02 would be a dollar and 2 cents) so .022 would be just over 2 cents per mile.

Yes depends on how it`s written out. 2 cents would be written .02, ( example $ 1.02 would be a dollar and 2 cents) so .022 would be just over 2 cents per mile.
I think the “confusion” came about when you wrote in post #16, “Right now, cost wise, they are sitting at .022 cents per mile, and each mile drops the per mileage cost.” .022 cents would be 22 thousandths of a cent, but we knew you probably meant 0.022 dollars, or $0.022.

Back