• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stock Dunlop Tread

Hollaway21

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

I have the Dunlop Trailmax D609 tires, and have just hit around ~3300 miles. I have seen from other threads that people have already changed them by this amount of miles or are considering it.
I am new to riding and would like to know your opinion on the longevity of these tires.

Front wheel pictures:

front3.jpgFront1.jpgFront4.jpg

Rear wheel pictures:

Rear3.jpgRear1.jpgRear2.jpg

Also i am considering replacing them with a TKC 70 rear and a Shinko 705 front.

Thanks for your replies! :D

Yours look better than mine did when I changed them, you can probably get more out of them but watch them as the wear seems to speed up.

I changed mine at 10k miles. I could have gone a little further. Yours look good for another 3k miles.

Mine looked similar to that at around 3500 miles. Rode them to almost 5800 before changing a couple of weeks ago to PR4's. I do less than 30 miles round trip each commuting work day, and the dealership is < 5 miles from work so I just kept a close eye on the wear. Biggest issue for me was when I could feel the squaring off of the ridge that your picture shows. Once I could actually feel that on corners I started to lose confidence. Knew it was time to change at that point. If you can't have confidence in your tires then change them.

I agree with sumo, your tires only look about 50-60% used up to me.

Consider yourself lucky. Some of us got a bad batch of tires or something, because mine were almost gone by the number of miles you've got on yours.

My rear was down to the wear indicators at about 3,000, but I live on a gravel road and do enjoy backroads.
The front lasted about 5,000.

My rear was down to the wear indicators at about 3,000, but I live on a gravel road and do enjoy backroads.
The front lasted about 5,000.

My '15 DCT came with the same tires. I just noticed the steel cord starting to show today after I rode to work. I'm replacing mine in the next few days, but I got 8,800 miles out of the back, and the front looks like it has a bit left on it.
Your tires look like mine did after my trip to Seattle and back down the Pacific Highway. I'd say you have a few thousand left on 'em.

Hollaway21:

Sumo hit in.
Yours look like they have good tread on them.
Mine lasted until 7500 miles.
It all depends on how you ride (a lot of throttle and hard braking or easy on, easy off), where you ride (a lot of gravel or pavement), and maintaining tire pressure.
I looked up my front/rear tire pressure and wrote it on the outside of my manual, which I keep in the bike.
So I always have a quick view of what my tires should be.
You look like you have 3K miles or more before you start looking up "What tires should I get" threads!

God bless and ride safe!!

Michael

The rear tire on my '14 NC700x hit the wear indicator at 2,800 miles! I ride very easy. I did take a couple of 70 mile (one way) trips where I tested the bikes top speed, but if those short bursts to 100mph caused that much tire wear then those were seriously lousy tires. My dealership was completely dismissive about the early wear issue, and Honda Corporate refused to offer any form of prorated warranty.

I replaced the rear tire at 3,200 miles with a Continental TKC70 which I absolutely love. It's a superior tire in every way for my use. At 4,000 miles my front tire is still decent, but will need replaced soon.

I've been checking the pressure every time I ride since I noticed the extremely early wear, and haven't noticed any unusual pressure loss.

They look good to me. However, I've never used those tires before. Look at them daily and watch the air pressure in the tire. Different folks ride differently and this will determine the mileage. I'm not extremely aggressive but I do a lot of mountain paved road riding which usually gets the sides worn way before the middle of the tire. The more aggressive you ride the faster the tires will wear. You can adjust the wear sometimes by increasing or decreasing the tire air pressure by a couple of pounds changing the footprint of the tire.

I picked up a nail on my brand new '17 bike, the rear tire is the dunlop d609... I hope it will last me a while because I'm replacing it with the same one so I don't have to replace the front as well :(

I would put a Continental Conti Motion on the rear, those stock tires are crap for most people.

It's probably cheaper as well.

On tire topic, anybody have any issues with dealers scratching the rims when changing tires? I'm thinking of flat out asking them to make sure to be careful and use rim guards if possible to avoid scratching the rim...

On tire topic, anybody have any issues with dealers scratching the rims when changing tires? I'm thinking of flat out asking them to make sure to be careful and use rim guards if possible to avoid scratching the rim...

I've never had dealers scratch my rims in the past, but I've been doing my own tire changes for several years now with a Harbor Freight/Mojo block and bar setup. My manual tire changer, and I would assume professional tire changers, use nylon tipped levers, clamps, bars, and rotating arms. When my tools are used properly, no metal surface touches the rim. My guess is scratches would result only from sloppy work and mistakes, not by the designed method. You can try telling the mechanic not to be sloppy, but I don't know if it will make any difference.

They did a great job, it seems authorized dealers and descent workshops all use rim guards nowadays... it was a perfect install, back on the road! :)

Barely got to 2,800 on my stock rear tire and I consider myself a moderate rider, not too slow, not too fast. Installed a Michelin PR4 last year, put 2000 miles on it and tire still looks like new. The stock Dunlops are total rubbish, the Michelin PR4s seem excellent in both, durability and handling. I just ordered a PR4 to replace my front Dunlop.

Back