• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tread depth Shinko Raven

6,449 miles and I am into the wear bars on the rear. Front still looks pretty good and would probably last another Shinko rear, but I have a set of Pirelli Angel GT's in the garage waiting and made an appt today to have them installed next week.

Head mechanic at my local shop who has been working on my bikes for 20 years, texted me today and offered to squeeze me in this afternoon for a tire swap (I was scheduled for next week), so I rode up and he replaced the Shinko's with a set of Pirelli Angel GT's I had bought earlier, which had a rebate of $60 pair making them a bit more reasonable in price.

The rear Shinko was into the wear bars (see below). Could have gone another 500 miles maybe (no cords were showing yet lol) but got replaced at 6,478 miles.

Lc21LhQh.jpg

Head mechanic at my local shop who has been working on my bikes for 20 years, texted me today and offered to squeeze me in this afternoon for a tire swap (I was scheduled for next week), so I rode up and he replaced the Shinko's with a set of Pirelli Angel GT's I had bought earlier, which had a rebate of $60 pair making them a bit more reasonable in price.

The rear Shinko was into the wear bars (see below). Could have gone another 500 miles maybe (no cords were showing yet lol) but got replaced at 6,478 miles.

Lc21LhQh.jpg
Shoot, that tire had life left in it. Why I only buy tires that have tread grooves across the center line is that I can tell how much rubber is left. If I lived closer to you, I would have grabbed both of those Ravens, especially the front which I’d guess has a lot of miles left in it.

Yea, I just wasn't sure how much more life it had. The tire didn't look too bad to me, but It had wear bars, and I was into them, so I figured it was about toast. I wouldn't have been afraid to ride it around here for a few more weeks, but I wouldn't have gone anywhere on it. It really looked thin to me back when it had less than 4K on it. I was shocked when it hit 5K and more shocked when it hit 6K.. I thought about saving the front Shinko, it still looked good and bet it would have lasted another rear, but my practice is to replace as sets so that's what I did. I still may go pick it up tomorrow if I get a chance. I have 2 grandsons baseball games to go to tomorrow.

Last edited:
Kinda flat spotted. A new tire is going to feel so good on those winding OH roads.

From Shinko’s website:
  • Highest tread life of Shinko sport-performance radials

Kinda flat spotted. A new tire is going to feel so good on those winding OH roads.

From Shinko’s website:
  • Highest tread life of Shinko sport-performance radials

Yea, I was kind of surprised that it started flattening early on considering there was no freeway droning involved.

Here is the rear Pirelli Angel GT on my 80 pounds heavier, 30 more horsepower CB 1100 ridden on the same roads at the same speeds as the NC at 10,091 miles. It will be getting replaced soon.

19yexQMh.jpg

I must say though, that I had no complaints about the handling of the NC with the Shinko tires, clear up to the day I had them replaced.

Last edited:
Back