• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil change, 2016 DCT. Rotella OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/f43921f8-8e28-49d7-9022-09d19fffe655.pdf

The spec sheet for the "new" T6 shows SM SN rating. It's just not listed on the bottle.

As you know by now that link does not work but going to the current web site today and looking at the link to certifications they don't show this one, or at least I could not find it. In another thread someone claimed it's viewable on BTOG site but that one was several years old and before the late 2016 changes to the formula. Since so many folks have used Rotella in gas powered vehicles you would think Shell wouldn't remove API SM/SN now. It's not like they need to save room on the bottle.

The pdf you posted is unreadable but maybe your copy is large enough to read the release or copyright date.

As you know by now that link does not work but going to the current web site today and looking at the link to certifications they don't show this one, or at least I could not find it. In another thread someone claimed it's viewable on BTOG site but that one was several years old and before the late 2016 changes to the formula. Since so many folks have used Rotella in gas powered vehicles you would think Shell wouldn't remove API SM/SN now. It's not like they need to save room on the bottle.

The pdf you posted is unreadable but maybe your copy is large enough to read the release or copyright date.

Yeah I'm not smart enough to get it to work with the site. It works for me when I copy and paste in the browser.
As stated in another post, it's dated 1-11-2017.

Edit: lootzyan is kind enough to find a copy that was readable. However this is for the older version. The link I was trying to post was the newer version. Dated 1-11-17

Last edited:
shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/f43921f8-8e28-49d7-9022-09d19fffe655.pdf

Copy and paste this link and add the www in front of it. See if that works.

Do a google search on: f43921f8-8e28-49d7-9022-09d19fffe655.pdf

This result: [PDF]Page 1 Technical Data Sheet Shell ROTELLA® T6 5W-40 Low ... opens the 1-11-17 pdf file.

One could also send a question to Shell with the oil specification in the owner's manual, and ask if Rotella X meets the Honda requirements.

It’s interesting how Shell Rotella handles their documents and release of the specifications.

I have MB diesel Sprinter and they have very exact oil specs requirements for sulfated ash. The ash fouls the DPF over time and the good spec is .8 and the “bad” spec is 1.0 to 1.2. Rotella claims to Mercedes approved but in many documents but does not include the ash spec. Then in other documents uses the old Mercedes approval numbers and not the newest approval spec. Needless to say it generates reams of comments and controversies on the Sprinter forum. Just like, here:D

It got worse with the new T6 as the name is the same but some of the specs are different. They might have been better off with T7 to avoid the confusion.

Shell Rotella T6 is sub-product line of oils.
There are at least 2 T6:
T6 Diesel Oil and
"T6 Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic engine oil performs extremely well in diesel and gasoline engines, meeting both API CK-4 and API-SN standards and allowing mixed fleets to consolidate lubricants."

Their approval are slightly different.

Full Synthetic and Synthetic Blend Oil Products | Shell ROTELLA(R)

Shell Rotella T6 is sub-product line of oils.
There are at least 2 T6:
T6 Diesel Oil and
"T6 Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic engine oil performs extremely well in diesel and gasoline engines, meeting both API CK-4 and API-SN standards and allowing mixed fleets to consolidate lubricants."

Their approval are slightly different.

Full Synthetic and Synthetic Blend Oil Products | Shell ROTELLA(R)

Alas, still no approval for wet clutches in the 5w30 variety.

Alas, still no approval for wet clutches in the 5w30 variety.

I don't see any special oil requirements for wet clutch in my owner's manual.
What is it? Is this not enough?

Oil 2.jpg

Personally, if I would decide to use synthetic oil, JASO MA approved would be enough for me.
This is Japanese motorcycle, isn't it?

Edit:
Quote from web: "JASO T903 establishes two performance categories: MA for motorcycles fitted with wet clutch and MB for motorcycles fitted with Automatic transmission (Scooters)."

Edit 2:
Bummer: Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle oil doesn't have JASO MA approval.
I can scratch it from my consideration.
(I love Honda oil).

Last edited:
See what happens when someone mentions Oil; pages of what should or shouldn't be used....heck even oil studies from multiple companies don't jive very well. One study I found showed the Lucas motorcycle oil to be bad but loyal customers; one study shows cheap dino oil works as good as $$$ synthetic...I guess it all depends who actually paid for the study. I just go by if it is the proper weight (10w40 or 10w30) and doesn't contain 'Energy Conserving' particles-which make the clutch slip....

I make a motion that we close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back