• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Replacing DCT Oil Cover

GregC

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I did one of those bone-headed things you do. I was changing the oil on my 2015 DCT, and when reinstalling the DCT oil filter cover (see the part below) I put it on upside down and, not realizing it, torqued down the bolts. The result was cracking off a bit of what should have been the upper part of the cover.

So, good news is I flipped it around put it on, and it seemed that it would not leak because the threads and o-ring were not exposed. Took the chance and put in the oil and indeed it does not leak. Have been on 2 longish rides (3-4 hours each) and not a drop of leaking.

That said, I ordered a new cover. My question now is whether there is any way to replace the cover without draining all the oil. With an 8,000 mile oil change interval, it will be a while before the bike is ready for an oil change.

I've thought of perhaps laying the old girl on her left side and seeing if that would allow replacing the DCT cover with minimal loss.

Any thoughts (other than "pay better attention to your work, you monkey")?

Greg

honda_11337MGSD40.jpg

Mainly concern of the unknown. Not leaking now but don’t want to spring a leak on a trip where the fix would be harder. Law of unintended consequences.

I would just drain some or most of the oil into a clean pan, replace the filter cover, then put that same oil back into the engine. The oil draining wouldn’t add much time to the repair process, and won’t cost you anything (significant) in replacement oil. That is what I did when I needed to replace clutch plates on an NC I formerly owned.

I have found many useful plastic items ( like small tubs/buckets, etc) at the Dollar Store.
Might save you a few bucks, if you decide to go the drain/refill with same oil route.
* many formerly 1$ items are now 1.25$

Minimal oil will come out with the cover off.
Catch it in a clean container.:)
Bolts need not be torqued.

Back