• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New to Riding

I have Shock Sox which are put in place with Velcro, so easy off / easy on. Have been using same ones for nearly 4 years. Found at places like Bike Bandit or Motorcycle Superstore. They do provide full coverage with none of tube exposed. They do not require taking your forks apart to install.

Thank you Fuzzy. That sounds like a good place to start. They are pretty inexpensive. Appreciate the advice!!!!

Thanks again Rippin. These get really great reviews on Amazon.
I installed mine when I was repairing my forks so I forgot that you do have to loosen four bolts (two on each side) to slide the forks out and put those on. Not hard if your mechanically inclined (especially with a center stand) but if you don't work on your own stuff it's worth knowing

Got it!

Thaks for all the help guys. Tons more questions. But....the bike got here so I am out riding quite a bit. Thaks a million. Seriously. Great group of guys and girls on this website ( I guess it's called a website). I am really appreciative and cannot wait to start giving back by sharing the mods and how I Completed them!!!

Thaks for all the help guys. Tons more questions. But....the bike got here, so I am out riding quite a bit. Thaks a million. Seriously. Great group of guys and girls on this website ( I guess it's called a website). I am appreciative and cannot wait to start giving back by sharing the mods and how I Completed them!!!

Hi Guys. I have put on about 1700 miles so far. Now that I have a good feel for what I would like to do to the bike, I have tons of questions. My apologies in advance if I ask too many. I am going to ask the first question now. So I know that I want to add auxiliary lights to the front. The purpose of the lights is to add to my visibility/conspicuity to other folks on the road. I will not use them to add to the illumination of the road at night. So I see that I can buy the 400 dollars Denalis. I also see that I can get 80 dollar deals on Amazon. I am willing to spend the 400 bucks but fail to see the value. Am I missing something? I know there might be some added water/shock resistance. But I think I can go to the 120 150 dollar price point and get acceptable lights for what I want to accomplish. Any thoughts? Also, if anyone has any experience with less expensive auxiliary lights, or can recommend any, or is selling used denalis, I'd be really interested.

A pair of 10 watt LED spots can be had from eBay for as little as $30 that will accomplish what you seek for conspicuity. I use a pair made in China by Mfactory. A Skene controller lets you program multiple brightness levels. 10 watt LEDs are fairly bright.

Your right on with your perception of value for the expensive lights. You do get good simple wiring and custom mounting with the more expensive lights but if your willing to do a little fiddling with the wiring and the mounting the cheaper lights work well. Like 670 that's what I run and am very happy. Upgrade the bulb in your stock headlight. The brighter light helps to make you more noticeable and helps big time if your find yourself out at night. Will cost your $30 to $70 depending on what bulb. These bulbs have less service life than your stock bulb so you have to watch for low beam burn outs and have your stock bulb in the frunk.
Good luck, have fun and run good tires.

A pair of 10 watt LED spots can be had from eBay for as little as $30 that will accomplish what you seek for conspicuity. I use a pair made in China by Mfactory. A Skene controller lets you program multiple brightness levels. 10 watt LEDs are fairly bright.

Thank you very much for the response. Great things for me to consider!

Your right on with your perception of value for the expensive lights. You do get good simple wiring and custom mounting with the more expensive lights but if your willing to do a little fiddling with the wiring and the mounting the cheaper lights work well. Like 670 that's what I run and am very happy. Upgrade the bulb in your stock headlight. The brighter light helps to make you more noticeable and helps big time if your find yourself out at night. Will cost your $30 to $70 depending on what bulb. These bulbs have less service life than your stock bulb, so you have to watch for low beam burn outs and have your stock bulb in the frunk.

That is a great suggestion also. The bulb that you are referring to for the headlamp...do you mean to upgrade to a higher quality filament bulb? I think I recall member DDuelin citing some potential issues with LED replacements (e.g., beam pattern, Etc.). The stock tires that came with the bike seem to be pretty good. Here is SW Florida we have quite a few road grooves and some grate bridges in the rural part of my County. I've noticed that the tires show minimal negative tracking in both of those circumstances. I ride tame. Is there something else that you do not like about the stock tires?

Your right on with your perception of value for the expensive lights. You do get good simple wiring and custom mounting with the more expensive lights but if your willing to do a little fiddling with the wiring and the mounting the cheaper lights work well. Like 670 that's what I run and am very happy. Upgrade the bulb in your stock headlight. The brighter light helps to make you more noticeable and helps big time if your find yourself out at night. Will cost your $30 to $70 depending on what bulb. These bulbs have less service life than your stock bulb so you have to watch for low beam burn outs and have your stock bulb in the frunk.

One more thing...I don't know if this changes things, but I am installing a modulator. Science says it makes us more noticeable. I also tend to notice modulated headlights much earlier when I am in the car.

One more thing...I don't know if this changes things, but I am installing a modulator. Science says it makes us more noticeable. I also tend to notice modulated headlights much earlier when I am in the car.
One of my riding buddies in Bloomington Indiana has a headlight modulator, and boy, it is noticeable...

Thank you very much for the response. Great things for me to consider!

Here’s the description of what I installed - lights and a Skene controller that is easy and lets you tie the lights into you headlight switch. All in was about $100 or so (without he powerhub fuse block, which is not required just for the lights).

FYI I also use a headlight modulator (a Kriss).

LED Spot Lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here’s the description of what I installed - lights and a Skene controller that is easy and lets you tie the lights into you headlight switch. All in was about $100 or so (without he powerhub fuse block, which is not required just for the lights).

FYI I also use a headlight modulator (a Kriss).

LED Spot Lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is really appreciated! Sounds like a plan for me!

That is a great suggestion also. The bulb that you are referring to for the headlamp...do you mean to upgrade to a higher quality filament bulb? I think I recall member DDuelin citing some potential issues with LED replacements (e.g., beam pattern, Etc.). The stock tires that came with the bike seem to be pretty good. Here is SW Florida we have quite a few road grooves and some grate bridges in the rural part of my County. I've noticed that the tires show minimal negative tracking in both of those circumstances. I ride tame. Is there something else that you do not like about the stock tires?

I was suggesting a higher quality filament bulb. An inexpensive simple upgrade.

I'm celebrating my 50th year of riding this fall. Started riding dirt bikes at 12. Doesn't really mean anything, the more you learn the more you realize you don't know. I'll say this about being visibility ..........assume they don't see you. If you lying in the ditch all busted up the fact that the guy/gal that turned left in front of you was in the wrong and you had a bunch of lights on your bike means nothing. Be situational aware. Look for situations that could go bad and have a plan on how to react. Just covering your brakes and looking for where to escape could save your life. I always do a shallow s turn within the lane when approaching a situation where someone is positioned to turn left. I never stay in blind spots. When riding in the fall or spring I have a working thermometer on the bike. I always check my mirror when I get on the brakes or I'm sitting at an intersection.
I have a lot of fun and I ride pretty aggressively for an old guy but I treat every ride as a potentially serious life threating situation. It's up to you to keep your *** alive.

I was suggesting a higher quality filament bulb. An inexpensive simple upgrade.

I'm celebrating my 50th year of riding this fall. Started riding dirt bikes at 12. Doesn't really mean anything, the more you learn the more you realize you don't know. I'll say this about being visibility ..........assume they don't see you. If you lying in the ditch all busted up the fact that the guy/gal that turned left in front of you was in the wrong and you had a bunch of lights on your bike means nothing. Be situational aware. Look for situations that could go bad and have a plan on how to react. Just covering your brakes and looking for where to escape could save your life. I always do a shallow s turn within the lane when approaching a situation where someone is positioned to turn left. I never stay in blind spots. When riding in the fall or spring I have a working thermometer on the bike. I always check my mirror when I get on the brakes or I'm sitting at an intersection.
I have a lot of fun and I ride pretty aggressively for an old guy but I treat every ride as a potentially serious life threating situation. It's up to you to keep your *** alive.

I'm with you one hundred percent. I do not ride agressive and try to be as defensive as I belive I can be. My daughters are on scooters up at college. I think I have it instilled in them to do the same. I love getting advice, tips, you name it. Appreciate the response!

I haven't been on the forum in months. Have been riding for over 30 years. So, happy to see you enjoying your new bike mzflorida. I ride in spurts and prefer to ride when it's cooler here in fire ravaged California. So, I will be riding more as soon as the temps go back into the 60's and 70's. I am 6'4", with a 35" inseam. So, we are in the same boat. Check out pictures of my bike in my profile. I have done a bunch of mods/farkles as well that may apply to you. Here goes:

SW Motech Hand Guards - These are super durable and have saved my handle bar controls many times
SW Motech Skid Plate. I had a big rock hit it just after I installed it. I just like the extra protection.
Shad Seat with the tilt mod. Could only handle 50 miles at a time with the stock seat and can do 100's of miles with no soreness.
Madstad Windscreen. This is hands down the best mod I did.
Vario adjustable foot pegs. These have a lot of adjustments. Really pleased with them
Rox Handlebar Risers
Puig Rear mud guard. This prevents dirt from getting up under the seat and into the back monoshock
Front Fender Extender
Centerstand
Rack with Gas Filler hole from Honda Bike Pro. This is totally custom and there is nothing that even compares on the market. Not sure how many he is making these days but I had to place and order and it took several months but was well worth it.
Trickle Charger with battery attachment for easy plugin.
Radiator Guard. Can't remember brand. I do remember a forum member having to replace the entire radiator from rock damage.
Admore flashing light with Turn signals. Flashes three times when you pull the breaks and had nice LED turn signals as well
Spare key for the Frunk. It's easy to get one made that works for the frunk. Hard to get one that works for the ignition. I leave it in most of the time and take it out when I park it someplace other than home
L tire stems. I believe the 2016 already has these. 2015 and earlier did not.

I basically addressed all of the needs I had. I don't feel any of these expenses were extravagant but other members might disagree. The bike gets better as it breaks in as well. I have the DCT model and have recently rode some bikes with manual clutches and don't ever want to go back to owning a bike with a manual clutch again.

Hi Everyone.

I took my first long trip of 470 miles. This is the first new bike that I have had in two decades so I don’t know if I am off base on my assessment but I’ll put it out there nonetheless for any input or advice that you all might have.

Stock Seat

Funny thing is that I took an 80 miler and found the seat to be uncomfortable. This longer trip I did not have the same experience. It was not what I would call the best but it was tolerable. If I keep the bike I will try the slope mod and or replacement seat.

Stock Shocks

I see what folks have been referring too in recent posts. The front shock seems to be worse that the rear but neither was very accommodating on rougher roads. There was a lot of transmission from the road to the bars on even minor lips, bumps, defects. The rear seemed to be a little better but not great at all.

Silverstar Headlamp

The headlamp was excellent in slower speed urban areas. However, when I got up around the back roads of Gainesville, posted speeds of 55 to 65 and no highway lighting, doing the speed limit would result in me outdriving my headlight. Two raccoons and a possum are witnesses to this point.

Stock Tires

They were just okay. They seemed to not track very well (again it could be me). They seemed to go off the line I had set. I did hit just a little rain. There was not a remarkable difference in handling which is good…I presume.

Bike Weight

It just seemed too light. For us Florida folks you know how light the winds were this weekend. Pretty light. The winds had much more of an impact than I would have imagined.

Puig Screen 52 CM

Again, just okay for me at 6’ 02”. I knew this going into the ride but did not want to replace it.

Stock Mirrors

They were fine. Extenders would have helped make them exceptional.

Acceleration for Passing

Overall it was acceptable. I would have enjoyed just a skosh more at least. Never dangerously inadequate.

Handling

Some of what I felt might be related to the tires. Up to 60, handling on well-engineered curves was fine. I did not feel the same at 70. It felt too light and almost like it wanted to come out from under a little. It may be my inexperience too, having been away from riding for so long. Not sure in any case but it was enough concern for me to adjust in curves to speeds that others on the road may not expect…which I did not like. I’d appreciate any input from the forum on this point especially.

Vibration

None noted at all which is pretty amazing.

Riding Position

Dduelin was right yet again. I don’t think he’s been wrong on anything in this forum. It was okay but a riser would really improve the position. Okay for around town or short Sunday country rides. Not the same for hour after hour.

MPG

64.4. Obviously awesome!

Admore Light Bar

I have to adjust the sensitivity. Another rider behind me noted it going off when my speed dropped very gradually and sometimes when not at all. But…I had noto ne issue with anyone getting too close or stopping late at lights.

Photon Blasters

Not one issue with anyone pulling out in front of me…well until I got in my neighborhood and a snowbird known for driving a little tipsy pulled out…but did stop.

Here is what I am thinking. Tires and shocks would make a big difference overall (I think) but would be an expensive add on. Not sure if that will help the light feeling of the bike. Not sure that I want to take the chance on making the investment in really good shocks. I might sell this bike and go alittle bigger/heavier. I am thinking that a VFR1200x with its 200 extra pounds might be a good pick. In any case, I appreciate how generous everyone has been in their responses. I hate to be a pain in the hind side as I cannot give a ton of advice in return.

Hi Everyone.

I took my first long trip of 470 miles. This is the first new bike that I have had in two decades so I don’t know if I am off base on my assessment but I’ll put it out there nonetheless for any input or advice that you all might have.

Stock Seat

Funny thing is that I took an 80 miler and found the seat to be uncomfortable. This longer trip I did not have the same experience. It was not what I would call the best but it was tolerable. If I keep the bike I will try the slope mod and or replacement seat.

Stock Shocks

I see what folks have been referring too in recent posts. The front shock seems to be worse that the rear but neither was very accommodating on rougher roads. There was a lot of transmission from the road to the bars on even minor lips, bumps, defects. The rear seemed to be a little better but not great at all.

Silverstar Headlamp

The headlamp was excellent in slower speed urban areas. However, when I got up around the back roads of Gainesville, posted speeds of 55 to 65 and no highway lighting, doing the speed limit would result in me outdriving my headlight. Two raccoons and a possum are witnesses to this point.

Stock Tires

They were just okay. They seemed to not track very well (again it could be me). They seemed to go off the line I had set. I did hit just a little rain. There was not a remarkable difference in handling which is good…I presume.

Bike Weight

It just seemed too light. For us Florida folks you know how light the winds were this weekend. Pretty light. The winds had much more of an impact than I would have imagined.

Puig Screen 52 CM

Again, just okay for me at 6’ 02”. I knew this going into the ride but did not want to replace it.

Stock Mirrors

They were fine. Extenders would have helped make them exceptional.

Acceleration for Passing

Overall it was acceptable. I would have enjoyed just a skosh more at least. Never dangerously inadequate.

Handling

Some of what I felt might be related to the tires. Up to 60, handling on well-engineered curves was fine. I did not feel the same at 70. It felt too light and almost like it wanted to come out from under a little. It may be my inexperience too, having been away from riding for so long. Not sure in any case but it was enough concern for me to adjust in curves to speeds that others on the road may not expect…which I did not like. I’d appreciate any input from the forum on this point especially.

Vibration

None noted at all which is pretty amazing.

Riding Position

Dduelin was right yet again. I don’t think he’s been wrong on anything in this forum. It was okay but a riser would really improve the position. Okay for around town or short Sunday country rides. Not the same for hour after hour.

MPG

64.4. Obviously awesome!

Admore Light Bar

I have to adjust the sensitivity. Another rider behind me noted it going off when my speed dropped very gradually and sometimes when not at all. But…I had noto ne issue with anyone getting too close or stopping late at lights.

Photon Blasters

Not one issue with anyone pulling out in front of me…well until I got in my neighborhood and a snowbird known for driving a little tipsy pulled out…but did stop.

Here is what I am thinking. Tires and shocks would make a big difference overall (I think) but would be an expensive add on. Not sure if that will help the light feeling of the bike. Not sure that I want to take the chance on making the investment in really good shocks. I might sell this bike and go alittle bigger/heavier. I am thinking that a VFR1200x with its 200 extra pounds might be a good pick. In any case, I appreciate how generous everyone has been in their responses. I hate to be a pain in the hind side as I cannot give a ton of advice in return.

Excellent write up. I did ride my first NC700X for 25,000 miles with the stock seat and that included many long rides like yours. However after exchanging for a Sargent I did not want to go back to stock. The first change to the second NC was a Sargent seat. I never installed risers on the first NC but did on the second. A couple hundred dineros on a set of cartridge fork emulators makes the fork much better and this translates to a more stable planted feel in corners and curves.

My favorite Florida riding is around and on south of Hogtown. Many good roads to explore right on down through horse country on the way to Istachatta and Dade City. People often mock FL roads as 318 miles and 11 curves but if one knows the roads there are far worse things to do on a Saturday.

Back