• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Down Hard! Atgatt saved my life and skin - RIP NC

SinCityNC

Reaction score
Visit site
On 2/8 I was out for my morning joyride, cruising at a solid 55mph out N Rancho Blvd heading out of town. A young man in a Camry Solara failed to notice me w/ HID and Bullet lighting on high beams, broad daylight. He came from a sidestreet on my right, crossed three lanes to occupy the exact same space I had occupied. All three lanes were wide open, I saw him at the stop sign, and never dreamed he would come all the way out on a wide open seven lane arterial with NO traffic. But he did.

He came out fast, and I scrubbed maybe 10 mph before I connected with his driver door at an angle. My right leg and foot were momentarily crushed between the bike and car, but released on rebound and I was launched about 30 feet, coming to rest in the oncoming inside lane. Happened frickin fast folks.

Took a minute to catch my breath as the wind was knocked out of me, but when I stood, all I had was a little ankle pain, but full motion and put weight on it. Pretty sure the driver of the Camry truly thought I was gonna kill him as I was more than a little toasted....but all good, I behaved myself for a change.

The responding motorcycle metro officer thanked me personally for wearing all the gear as he said he often has to scrape riders off the pavement in a collision like this. Bike was totaled on site and taken away and I walked a couple blocks back up the road to catch a ride home w/ a friend.

Leg swelled up horribly next day, but x-rays were negative. I have been sore as hell for three weeks, constantly on my back trying to reduce the swelling in my leg, etc. I am almost back to normal, bruised ribs, ankle sprain, bruised elbow, and soft tissue damaged leg. (Doc says my lower leg should have been shattered and I should stop whining about a little swelling, lol)

These things happen, my point is that full safety gear has made me a very, very lucky man. I was wearing a Shoei Neotec helmet, Joe Rocket Blaster leather jacket, Sedici adv pants, and Bilt double zip steel boots. Take away any single item and I am in far worse shape; take away the helmet and I died on the scene (from the looks of the damage to my hat).

Not replacing the bike for a while, cant afford to have the yips every time someone come from my right....not in Vegas traffic. Maybe a year or two.

Thank you all for this site and the many hours of enjoyment reading all your experiences, etc.

Last thought: anyone who thinks a helmet is enough....think again please, your families depend on you.

-Don

Wow! So glad you're alive to tell the tale. Sorry about the bike and the banged up body. Thanks for sharing your story. All the more reason to wear the gear.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

So sorry for your mishap but glad it was not worse. Get back in the saddle sooner not later if you can.

Strange things these Cage Dwellers. I'm so glad you are alive to tell the tale. I wish you a speedy recovery, both physical and mental.

Glad you are ok. I know the feeling of the "yips". After I totaled my NC, I had it repaired and rode it home (almost 700 miles). I knew if I didn't ride home, I might give in to the "yips". It has taken almost two years to ride close to the right side of the road without fear.
Around here, I treat every intersection as if the cager will suddenly dart out.
If it's in your blood, we'll see you down the road!

You weren't lucky, you were prepared. ATG ATT is certainly a personal choice and I have seen raging firestorms on motorcycle forums about the subject but after a fall the choice seems pretty obvious though doesn't it?

I can certainly understand being spooked after a crash like that…this riding motorcycles is a dangerous business. Get well and maybe you'll consider riding again sooner than you think - but that is also a deeply personal choice. Good luck.

Welcome to the haves, the have nots will be joining us soon. They call them "accidents" because no one would do them on purpose. Accept "fear" as a part of life. Please, do not let fears stop you from living your "dreams". To quote Mr. Honda, "THE POWER OF DREAMS". Life is too short...............

[video=youtube;1G7Rd01SW-4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G7Rd01SW-4[/video]

That really sucks. Thank God for ATGATT. Heal quickly.

Looking back on my 'incidents' the one good thing that came out of it was I understood what went wrong and adjusted so it would never happen again. A cager coming out of a side street does not see me. I adjust. Trust me you will not forget and you will adjust. Running point on a bike is very dangerous.

Don, I am so happy you will fully recover. Let me offer a thank you for reminding us how important our protective gear is. I have the same helmet, a good jacket and correct boots, however I always ride in just jeans a big gap in my protection. I guess my next purchase will correct that.

Thanks again and heal fast!

Glad you came out of the crash with no serious harm. There is not a day on my commute, that I don't see at least one person texting on my 26 mile ride.
Your attgat and angel done its job. Thanks for sharing your mishap.

I'll join the others and wish you speedy recovery, and return to riding whenever you feel you're ready for it.
I remember when I had a crash in my car, I was rear-ended by someone who didn't notice I stopped in emergency (as well as few cars before me). After the crash, I was nervously checking rear view mirror every few seconds, and I felt my stomach flying high when I saw someone getting closer. But the more I drove after the car was fixed, the sooner I overcome the fear and returned to normal. And no, I'm not telling you to go back to riding, you'll make your own decision, I respect that. Just thought sharing this point of view may be important :)

Hope it won't take much longer before you fully recover. Drive/ride safe!

glad your all right. Good for you for wearing gear. Guys at work here joke that i'm going to war with my leather gear!

I hope you rebound financially and mentally. Do some fishing this summer or something. take care

I'm with you on this one. August 2015 spent a total of 6 days in the hospital for a motorcycle accident that I have no memory of. When discharged from the hospital I asked my wife to stop by the Honda shop, without a word she knew what I was up to and no sense in trying to say no. A hour later she followed me home on the new NC700x. My family, friends, co workers and others don't get it -- why risk it they ask -- because this is what I do and have been on a bike since around the age of 5 - so that makes about 60 years on a bike. The fear of another accident is always there -------- so is dying in bed wearing diapers !! Ride safe and enjoy your life.

I'm very happy to hear ATGATT has saved another rider. A dozen years ago I dropped the SV650 I owned at the time in front of an oncoming car. I watched the left front wheel of that car heading straight for my head. At the last second I managed to move my head out of the way. I wasn't hurt but I was scared witless, so scared I couldn't ride so I sold the bike. I was really down on myself after that and spent 6 months talking to a psychologist who used cognitive behavior therapy to help me get back on a bike.

ATGATT. Only way to enjoy our risky pleasure.

I am very thankful for your write-up. I experienced the speed of such an incident myself. There was a flash that I'll never forget when I said to myself, "I'm going down" and "that tree is really close", then I blacked out but distinctly remember two loud "thumps" as I bounced across the road and into a ditch. Thankfully I missed the tree. With ATGATT I only broke two ribs. There is nothing like realizing you have no control whatsoever over what's about to happen to you. It is sobering.

My Aerostitch Roadcrafter one-piece suit did it's job. I skidded and bounced about from 45 mph to 0 mph. I must have landed hard on my shoulder as the impact shredded my shirt and bruised my skin. However if I hadn't had on my suit and all the other full gear I would have shredded my shoulder and tore my head apart.

I choose to get back on the bike as soon as my ribs healed (6 weeks). It was a conscious choice to either replace the bike or never ride again.

I am also happy to hear things are OK.
I would wear ATG too but Florida is just too hot. I can't take it.
I know the possible results.
If I can't accept the possibility then I can't ride. It is too brutal with high heat and humidity.

I am also happy to hear things are OK.
I would wear ATG too but Florida is just too hot. I can't take it.
I know the possible results.
If I can't accept the possibility then I can't ride. It is too brutal with high heat and humidity.

Mesh gear is not bad when you are moving. It's worth it for the chance something like OP described happens.

Don, sorry about your bike, but good to hear you are OK. I got hit last Jan. and it took about a year until I was ready to ride again. Just like you said, I did not want to ride in fear. Carefully, defensively, but not in panic mode. Thumbs up for good gear!

Back