• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Down Hard! Atgatt saved my life and skin - RIP NC

sorry to hear, best wishes for a speedy recovery. hope that nothing's permanently damaged

regardless to that i would send this message to the driver-
ddc7bc6cb9728d1092b243dbfec605a4.jpg

from my own experience-all those injuries(small or even barely noticeable at the time of accident) will pop up sooner or later in your life. have a full tort and sue the s**t out of them.
i had 5 accidents in USA. in all of them i wasn't even moving anywhere. in one case car was totaled. i have no sympathy for anyone,who failed to realize that the car is a weapon and you can kill other innocent people driving it.

e2ef1293e8e0.png

from my own experience-all those injuries(small or even barely noticeable at the time of accident) will pop up sooner or later in your life.
This is particularly true for neck injuries - a minor ache after a car rear-end collision can pop-up as serious trouble a couple of years later.

So often my wife and I will watch a NASCAR race and see the drivers walk away from an accident that a street car would have collapsed on and killed the occupants.
We have said so many times if only street cars would have the safety equipment NASCAR cars have.
If those safety features were available to the general public, would they use them?

Your testimony of such an accident and getting up and walking away is a testimony to the gear you were wearing and the fact it is available to the general public and you chose to buy and wear all the gear, all the time.
Yes, it is easier to hope on the bike with jeans and a tee shirt and half shell helmet, if any at all.
And it is a lot cooler (temps wise) to hope on a bike in 90 degree weather dressed, again, with jeans and tee shirt.
But the case is that, as bikers, we do have the safety equipment available to us.
Don's life was saved and he even walked (Limped!!) away from the accident because of his safety equipment.
If he would have chosen to not wear the gear that day, his family would have instantly been left with a nasty gaping hole in their lives.

If the NASCAR safety equipment was available to cagers only a few would opt to buy and use it.
It would just not look "Cool!"
If ever a cruiser rider (most common to not wear any safety equipment - along with some sport bike riders) snubs at you ATGATT riders, just let them go.
If they cannot accept you as who you are because you choose to do what you can to enjoy both tomorrow and a longer life with your loved ones, well, they are just not worth your time.

The safety equipment is there my biker brothers and sisters, use it!
Sorry everyone, I am speaking to myself!

Congratulations Don and thanks for sharing.

God bless you Don, God bless you!!

Just because you are taking a hiatus from your bike does not mean you have to leave the forum.

Michael

There are a lot of folks on this forum who do not ride NC7's. The NC7 was intended to be a motorcycle with something that appeals to all riders. So does this forum.

So, keep on keeping on this forum that was made that is for motorcyclist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew a man who wore a helmet in his car. It saved his life.
I think if cars were invented today, helmets would be mandatory.

Comparo

Thanks again gang, I love this place. As asked for, I will attempt to compare the two bikes though I am sure I am not particularly qualified as a bike tester.

NC is a strangely able bike, does everything I asked of it very well indeed. Once you get accustomed to the short shift, the NC is pretty amazing. HP on the NC never really felt lacking (45ish if I recall correctly), as long as you used the gearbox correctly. (Lack of gear indicator hampers this objective, but pretty easily worked around)

The F800 is very similar in many respects though it pulls roughly double the HP (85), the torgue is about 1.5 that of the NC. The NC being a utility bike in sport bike suit, the F800 is a marginally tamed sport bike with manners. The exhaust note is pleasant without ever getting the "angry bees" tone. Low end torque and pull through traffic is eerily similar to the NC, though throttle blips to hit gaps in traffic are far more readily available. The F800 fuel tank is also under the seat but BMW used the frunk area to make a huge airbox and breather for the filter. The suspension system and seating are also better on the BMW.

Both bikes have a very low COG and handle very lightly in parking lots, low speed crawls, etc, but the edge in this department goes to the NC. I think the BMW feels a little jumpy at low speeds, where the NC is docile and goes where you aim it. These bikes are very close in size and weight and as such I get to use all the parking spaces I had been accustomed in my usual haunts.

In-city commuting are a perfect tie. Both bikes have more than enough low end for stop and go and respond well to any demands made to accelerate or brake. Both bikes stretch out and go easily and with little fuss as well.
Freeway and parkways go to the BMW easily, even in traffic. Lane changes, visibily, higher end accel, shift and brake deceleration, avoidance, and overall feel on the road are better with the F800. Handling at speed on the Beemer is very intuitive, almost simply think it and the bike responds.

In twisties, it's not even close. The NC was good and competent; the BMW is expert and eager. Road feel and contact is much more confident, and throttle rolls give much more pull and thrill. The anti-lock dual master cylinder system brakes on the BMW are almost flawless, though the anti-lock engages a little earlier than I think it needs. The belt drive is amazingly smooth and gives deceptive acceleration; 85 comes up way faster than you expect or feel, though you do get used to it.

Fit and finish also goes to the BMW. The NC was great, but the little touches of the Beemer and the solid feel of every bit and bindle make an impression. I had the Madstad on my NC, and one for the BMW is due to arrive late this week, and I have replacement mirrors incoming for the the BMW as well. (tension bolts on OEM are stripped and they keep folding back at speed. VERY ANNOYING.)

Overrall, I have to give my slightly biased edge to the BMW. Not a surprise as the F800ST went for near 15k six years before the NC was even produced at half the price. Plus it's the bike I have and enjoy more every time I saddle up.
To close though, I say again..... these two moto's are VERY similar in ergonomics, purpose, and ability.

Just my .02 tho.

Be great today!

-Don

Thanx!
Sorry to repeat it but make sure you google around the relevant Beemer forums to keep the belt properly tensioned as from what I remember (searched years ago for my then boss) this is mostly a do-and-forget job but must be done very accurately not to compromise longetivity - also, it hates any gravel bits, at all.

Back