• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Best Aftermarket Windscreen (Links to each for comparison)

Which Aftermarket Windscreen is best for the NC700x

• Total voters
e4utyhez.jpg

Hi, the mounting, as I remember it, was straightforward. Using the mounting holes on the screen with the stainless screws and screw caps, plastic spacer plates and the Honda mounting plates with frame. Thinking about it, a friends assistance would be a good idea just to hold things whilst you engage the screws. Put the inner screw caps on the screws. Then insert the screws through the screen and install the plastic spacers and then insert the screws through the LOWER holes on the mounting frame. This is where a friend comes in handy. Try using a dab of grease on the Honda mounting plates to hold them in place using the LOWER holes on the frame plates on the bike I think you would have to modify the plates to use the upper holes. Offer the whole combination up to the mounts on the bike and just engage the screws by a few threads. Once this is done you can put some sort of a buffer between the screen and the top mounting holes on the frame. this is to stop any vibration wearing the screen. These mounts are surplus to requirements. I used some domed grommets but one has fallen off and I haven't replaced it yet. Now you can tighten up the screws, JUST DONT OVERTIGHTEN THEM. if you do and get a small crack the carefully drill a very small hole through the closed end of the crack to relieve the stresses and stop the crack from spreading. Once you are happy with the installation, fit the screw caps and away you go

Didn't you have to drill new holes in order to use the honda tall screen bracket? Or did you mount using the original mounting holes and original brackets and just use the honda touring bracket as a brace further up?

Here is a picture of a Calsi mounted in the normal way, and then a picture of a honda touring screen mounted using the bracket that comes with it.

calsci2.jpg

Hondatall3.jpg

Last edited:
700X camping 001.jpgCalsci tall, top holes,dales plates, third season, all highway, not a problem, I am very carefull when installing to tighten ALL screws evenly and slowly. I like to ride with my visor up so I needed to get a quiet envelope to ride behind. If I still smoked I could behind it when riding. I can see using this shield for road riding only as it is big, too big for a bike like the S model or a city only bike. I must have gotten lucky on mine or others are using gorilla hands to install these puppies. All the mounting screws have to tightened (Just) past finger tight slowly and one turn at a time to get equal pressure on all four screws. That's the way I do it and love this windshield for the wind protection, would buy another in a heart beat. Others have had bad luck with these shields and there are a lot of other choices, many better in looks, non better for riding IMHO. Ride safe.

Thanks for posting these pictures Piair. Please post back with updates on how this setup is working for you. This looks like it gives quite a bit more support to the Calsci. It may be the thing that fixes the cracking issue.
For a while it seemed like every rider with the calsci was giving up on it right when I had convinced myself it was what I wanted. Already having the Honda touring screen, it would be a real option again, and give me and anyone else with the Honda touring screen an option to have a summer/winter setup switching between the two windscreens.

used the normal calsci holes and have found that to be plenty no problem even at 95mph cruise.
beja3a4a.jpg
ytynezyb.jpg
y7yqejeh.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've used this for 2 or 3 thousand miles now and even at 95 mph cruise have had no issues at all. It provides a still air pocket behind that allows visor or flip front riding with no discomfort at all. I don't foresee any issues arising but should any occur I will post on here.

Ever hit a turkey. Ever hit a buzzard. I have hit a few. Polycarbonate vs. Acrylic - the birds bounce off the Polycarbonate windshield, where not quite so with an acrylic windshield.

[video=youtube;sCYtjp_RQ9s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCYtjp_RQ9s[/video]

Vstream.jpg

My National Cycle V-stream windshield takes the impact and just keeps on, keeping on!

Oh, forgot the v-stream effect on the wind!

I've used this for 2 or 3 thousand miles now and even at 95 mph cruise have had no issues at all. It provides a still air pocket behind that allows visor or flip front riding with no discomfort at all. I don't foresee any issues arising but should any occur I will post on here.

That's encouraging. I know some people did tens of thousands of miles before they had issues. But they didn't have the extra support you have so I'm hoping you've solved the problem. So glad you have done this, and I hope it is the fix!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have just been riding a new NC750X while my 700 was in for service and i have to say that it was a shock. I had completely forgotten about wind blast and found it surprisingly hard, hanging on. Perhaps I have just gone soft in my old age but the Calsci screen makes a fantastic difference in comfort. Well worth the money.

Guys, just picked up on this thread and thought you might like to see my 'hybrid' solution using Givi screen, Palmer brackets, Dale's nut-plates, and an inner panel I made. Haven't read all the posts so apologies if someone already did the same.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/007_zps52969165.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/011_zps96d430ae.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/002_zpsf67a37b8.jpg

What was the total cost on your build if you don't mind me asking? Curious how this compares to an already done package such as the Madstad. Looks like you have quite a bit into the kit. Any idea how effective it is compared with others?

Costs were: Givi screen UK65 (US110 approx); Palmers UK65 (US110 approx); Dale's nut-plates US25; Total US245. This works for my 5' 8" height and 31" inseam and can still be adjusted higher and further away from rider. First time I used this set-up was on my CBF1000 a few years back, so I decided to stick with it for my NC700X and now my 750X. Hard to say whether there's anything better. Truth is I started out with just the taller screen, then added the Palmers when I discovered them - then Dale's nut-plates for the 750 as they make the job much less fiddly. I'm guessing that performance must be similar to the MadStad but that wasn't available back then. Thought about trying one this time but couldn't see how it would be better - and better the devil you know!! My black inner screen was free as I had some reclaimed roof gutter lining in my garage (was on my buddy's roof for 20 years!) and used the OE screen as a pattern.

Thanks Mike for the thorough run down. I envy you guys with mechanical aptitude. Considering the cost I will likely just try out a madstad but I have to say your set looks really well put together.

Just thinking about this screen stuff again, my recommendations for anybody who isn't satisfied with the OE screen would be:

1) If you are happy with the cost and look of the MadStad set-up, then that's the 'belt-and-braces' way to go.

2) If not, buy an aftermarket screen that is tall enough to work for your height (the CalSci website shows you how to figure this out) and replace Honda's OE rubber well-nuts with Dale's nut-plates (the forces exerted on the larger screen area are liable to pull out the OE fixings). If this does it for you, great!

3) If not, you still have the option of adding a set of adjustable brackets, e.g. from Bruudt (height only) or Palmer / MadStad (height and rake).

4) Though not essential, the inner panel I made is a nice final touch and IMHO puts the icing on the cake. All you need for that is your OE screen as a pattern, a suitable piece of semi-rigid black plastic sheet approx 2mm (0.08") thick, a thin chinagraph pencil or white marker pen, a pair of kitchen scissors - and a steady hand!!

Even if you wind up progressing through all 4 stages, it should still cost you less than 'the full Monty' from California!

Windscreen choices

Hi all,

I am purchasing an NC 700 this week and want to attach a new windscreen before leaving the dealership ( after hearing so much about the inadequacies of the stock screen). I have been looking primarily at the Puig and the Vstream. I'd appreciate any feedback on touring windscreens. I'm 5'4" and want to look just over the screen not through it. Thanks.

I have the light smoke Puig on a Silver NC and I really like it. It does not provide a "cone of silence" but it is much better than the stock screen, and in my opinion it is the best looking screen on the bike. I also like the look of the optional add on deflector, but I have a hard time justifying the price. I am 5'10' and the Puig works just fine for me.

I have a clear Puig on my NC700. Definitely a significant improvement over the stock screen. It was really easy to install and the price was right.

Not sure how it will fall in your vision at your height. I am 6'1" and the screen is well under my line of sight.

I have the Puig with the additional Puig clip-on visor. The clip-on sits higher than the windscreen. I still look over the visor and I'm 5'8".

Back