• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wind noise for tall riders

Well, I've painted the stock one - unsure if I will make one or get a pre-made - but tough to find!
I went shopping at Target and the Dollar Store in search of plastic containers, already in a curved configuration, and tall enough to form a fly screen. I found 3 potential containers. One white, one red and one black. Can't beat the Dollar Store for cheap materials. I'll be trying trial fits and shapes to see what will make a decent size and shape mini screen.
If I get a shape and size I like I'll post a photo.

A word of caution: Once you start drilling, you can't stop!

I added two holes, one each over the upper bracket screws, so that I can remove the Touring Screen/Bracket as an assembly.

I also added two more ventilation/pressure equalization holes. I just did 300 miles yesterday and am still happy with this setup.

View attachment 17090
I had started another thread asking about this mod... I did end up drilling the 3 holes,and it made a noticeable difference! Not so much the wind noise (I still need the add on spoiler- slouching down a couple inches or palm on top of shield and it's all but gone), although it did help with that up to about 55mph,but it made it big difference in the amount of weird turbulence I was getting. The front end doesn't feel as if it's being pushed all over the place anymore. Was curious though- the second set of holes you drilled- how much more of a difference did that make? Looks like you went up a couple more inches, and those are 1/2" rather than 3/4"?

your old trash can is your friend :)

d671b258e594.jpg

I had started another thread asking about this mod... I did end up drilling the 3 holes,and it made a noticeable difference! Not so much the wind noise (I still need the add on spoiler- slouching down a couple inches or palm on top of shield and it's all but gone), although it did help with that up to about 55mph,but it made it big difference in the amount of weird turbulence I was getting. The front end doesn't feel as if it's being pushed all over the place anymore. Was curious though- the second set of holes you drilled- how much more of a difference did that make? Looks like you went up a couple more inches, and those are 1/2" rather than 3/4"?

Honestly, the additional holes are not very noticeable. The main reason I drilled them was that I wanted the two access holes over the mounting screws so that the entire tall shield and bracket assy could be taken off as a single unit.

I finally got a Puig deflector installed on the Honda screen- combined with the holes ,it eliminated the noise. Life is great, until I hit 60mph,where it seems like the turbulence is back with a vengeance. Tried all positions on the deflector-it seems like the deflector made the turbulence more noticeable . This was dead calm weather, early morning, no traffic on a 4 lane road. I'm either going to have to go really big, or back to stock.

In case someone didn't read the whole thread. I'm 6'2". I have the Puig Touring screen with the Puig adjustable visor. I'm good with it. I still have side to side buffeting on windy days but going down the road or interstate is well within the "tolerable" range.
Ear plugs or ear buds are your friend as far as noise goes.

This is my new setup, I like it. I'm 6'3" and can adjust the wind from face shield height to the top of my helmet with the deflector001.jpg.

Well, here is my latest windscreen iteration. Thanks to Gboswellsac for the Cee Bailey screen. I mounted it onto the Honda Tall screen frame, and installed my MRA Xcreen onto it. I also blocked off the air gap under the display, so that air that is taken in under the screen is diverted upwards.

10530879_10205038440665817_5240141184201303164_n.jpg

As pictured, the Xcreen is actually a little too tall and gets in my line of sight. At about the middle of its adjustment range, it is out of the way and helps with helmet buffeting. I am happy with this setup. For now that is, until the next deal-too-good-to-pass-up comes along...

I made a quick (I say that in a self-deprecating way so I don't feel bad about wasting a few hours on this project) cad drawing of the different shield options I have tried on my NC. I added height measurements. I have widths, but figured they were not as pertinent and would just clutter up the sketch. Anyway, this is drawn to scale based on a series of photos I took. The rider is me (6'2" tall) wearing my Arai Signet-Q. I thought it might be fun/helpful/maddening to use this as a running project. If anyone would like to contribute a head on photo of other shields on their bikes, I will scale it to my drawing and add it. I am interested in seeing how the Calsci and Madstats compare.

Shields FWD with me.jpg

Like I said, if anyone wants to contribute to this project, just add a comment with a head on pic of your shield setup. I will try to add them as I have time/effort to do so. I have also considered doing a side view comparison, with the intent of cadding it up like this and plugging the wireframe sketch into some free simple fluid dynamics software to visualize airflow. I don't know how effective this would be, as individual riders/luggage also have a significant effect on airflow. But I won't know until i try.

Get a gold wing - problem solved

The Goldwing has the opposite problem. Not enough air on warm days. You need to install Baker Built Hand Wings so you can direct some air at you, or else it's too stuffy.

Road trip this summer, Calsci Tall using Dale's plates upper holes. Three young Moose in the background in Alberta field, the reason I took the pic. Not a full front pic but I hope it helps. Ride safe

Attachments

• @014 016.jpg
    @014 016.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 533
Thanks Porko. I used your image for the Cal Sci Tall and used an image off the Cal Sci website for their Medium size.

Incidentally, the pics I took of me and my shields has proved to be extra valuable (for me at least). I've found that the camera position when I took those pics was right where my normal line of sight is. So, in the sketch, when a shield is shown at or above eye level, I am actually looking through it in real life. I might be able to get used to it, but the first time I rode with the XCreen full up on the Cee Bailey's, I was looking through the XCreen and I didn't like it. Because of this, about the middle of the adjustment range is as tall as I can have the XCreen and still comfortably look over it. This would indicate that the Cal Sci Medium is about as tall as I could go and still look over the screen. If I got the Cal Sci Large, I would be looking through the shield full time. Again, maybe I could get used to that over time, but it was bothering me for the first few minutes.

Here is the updated image:

Shields FWD with me2.jpg

Last edited:
Well i am so glad i found this thread! I'm 6'6" and 225lb with a 36" inseam. I really hate the "bikini" screen the factory uses/comes on our bikes. I mean seriously, who does that fit? I'd sure like to meet him! I did however ride a friends NC with the much taller factory wind screen and found it is much nicer then mine! He is ordering a new 22" Madstad and i get his old one...Score! :{)

I haven't got enough miles on mine yet to know what I don't know, but for the guys who are drilling holes etc.... way back in the good old days ...... I had a Vetter Windjammer fairing and it had pop out vents that I thought worked pretty well. You can no longer buy a windjammer but you apparently can still get the replacement vents Online Store: Replacement Vetter Parts

Back