• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wind noise for tall riders

So normally I have a clip-on MRA Xcreen, but I did not have it on today since I was working on the windscreen yesterday. I can say that the air flowing around my body and head was MUCH smoother and made the ride nicer. Noise was an issue but I think that will be solved once I put the Xcreen back on.

For the folks with large windscreens, do you notice any change in sound if you remove your chin curtain on your helmet? I am trying to get a little more ventilation in my helmet without significantly increasing the noise.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

So after riding a few days and adjusting my MRA xcreen to the position I had it before, I don't notice a huge difference. The wind is much much smoother, but most of my riding is at 65 mph and I'm not sure that I will be able to reduce the noise too much more than it already is

So you find that you still need to use the Xcreen in addition to the VStream? The Vstream looks to be pretty sizable (not sure if it comes in different sizes). I guess I'm a constant sufferer of the "grass is always greener" syndrome. I also often wonder what other folks' noise expectation are and if I'm just too picky.

I am 6ft but tall of body so my position on the bike is probably the same as someone a bit taller.

I have the Puig Touring with the optional adjustable lip. The screen is installed using the original Honda fixings but at the higher position. This actually allows quite a lot of airflow under the screen, and I noticed quite a difference between mounting the screen in the top or bottom positions. I don't find that adjusting the lip makes much difference, and just leave it in the highest position.

I use two helmets, one an HJC RPHA Max flip front which is probably the quietest flip from out there ( I have tried all the shoei, shark, schuberth etc equivalents), certainly on a naked bike where there is n screen to distort the comparison.

My other helmet is a O'Neal Sierra dual sport, which is usually a noisy helmet.

O'Neal Sierra Adventure Helmets | Dirtbikexpress UK Online Shop

I have no buffeting at all with the Puig screen, and wind noise with the O'Neal is actually less than the HJC. I also tried the screen with my open face jet style helmet, and this was quietest of all with minimal noise, but I don't like using this for anything other than popping to the shops. The HJC is also a lot quieter when riding with the flip front open.

So the long and short of this is that I have no buffeting, but the helmet choice makes a huge difference to the noise. You will never eliminate wind noise totally on a bike like this, as the kind of screen you can fit on it, no matter what the size, won't do this due to the style of the bike.

I had an adjustable Givi Air Flow on a Burgman 400, and had zero noise, but the design of the screen and bike allowed this.

I would also say that I mostly ride with ear plugs in, currently these which I find excellent, and with them in I get the wind noise reduced to a level where it is hardly noticeable.

Auritech Biker Hearing Protectors

Ear plugs make a bigger difference than any screen, the Auritech ones also allow you to hear a Bluetooth kit or intercoms clearly, just block out the noises you want to block.

So you find that you still need to use the Xcreen in addition to the VStream? The Vstream looks to be pretty sizable (not sure if it comes in different sizes). I guess I'm a constant sufferer of the "grass is always greener" syndrome. I also often wonder what other folks' noise expectation are and if I'm just too picky.

For anything over about 45 mph I think I need the xcreen just to keep down on the really loud noises. But who knows, I might be too picky too :)

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I have the Madstadd. I am 6'2". I adjust the Madstadd to maintain wiind on my helmet and if hot my upper shoulders too. It is not buffetting, just steady breeze which is what I want, and not so hard I have to hang on like the stock screen. That said if wind is hitting the helmet, the noise level is dependent on the helmet. I wear ear plugs.

I'm 6'4" - I have the stock screen. I plan on getting a shorter smoked fly screen. My take is - it's a motorcycle - it gets windy when you go faster. Maybe it was cutting my teeth on an Intruder (no screen) and riding a lot of highway miles. Buffeting and noise are fine with me - again - it's a motorcycle. I do have a Shoei Qwest helmet - have always preferred Shoei for personal fit and noise level. I don't plan on making my NC look like a Gold Wing or Electra Glide with a barn-door sized screen. Just me though. Every one of us is different, hence the aftermarket and "farkling". No one judging others here, that is why I enjoy the forum.

I'm 6'4" - I have the stock screen. I plan on getting a shorter smoked fly screen. My take is - it's a motorcycle - it gets windy when you go faster. Maybe it was cutting my teeth on an Intruder (no screen) and riding a lot of highway miles. Buffeting and noise are fine with me - again - it's a motorcycle. I do have a Shoei Qwest helmet - have always preferred Shoei for personal fit and noise level. I don't plan on making my NC look like a Gold Wing or Electra Glide with a barn-door sized screen. Just me though. Every one of us is different, hence the aftermarket and "farkling". No one judging others here, that is why I enjoy the forum.

Good choice. A shorter than stock screen will give you quiet, smooth air flow, probably like you had on your Intruder. In my experience the buffeting and noise result from the mid size screens. Either go big, or go no screen at all if you want if quiet.

Post a picture of your fly screen when you get one on.

I'm working on my stock screen with bruudt extenders, they helped with the wind blast on my chest but now have increased wind noise at my helmet. I have a AGV horizon, its fine as long as I ride with the face shield open, but when closed I get a loud wind noise inside the helmet. I'm trying to blook the air flow through the middle with a black piece of abs plastic, have to test this but its been to cold and wet to ride yet.

6'4". No problem with OEM screen. Maybe since I started riding years ago without one - buffeting and noise just never bothered me.

Now that the weather in Dallas is getting hot, I've been commuting with no screen at all on the bike. It works surprisingly well. With my head up in free air, there is less noise than with a screen on at speeds less than 40 mph. Over 40 mph, a screen quickly becomes preferable. Since most of my miles are accumulated on my short 3.5 mile city commute, the naked bike is really nice to ride. I have put the tall screen back on a few times if I know I'm going to get on the interstate. It only takes a few seconds. I've given some thought to installing 6mm studs in the nutplates and leaving them on the bike, and just attaching the screen with wingnuts. This way, no tools would be necessary for a screen change. However, I doubt it will actually work since the studs/bolts splay out from the centerline of the bike. With the studs installed, the screen holes might not fit over them. I'll mess around with it and report results later...

Ron,
What or where are you getting a shorter smoked fly screen? Are you making one, converting a taller screen,
or buying a pre-made fly screen? I'm also interested in such a screen.

Update, got Dales nut plates and put 5mm screws into the bottom of the nut plates because I was using the top position with my Bruudt adjusters. When tightened, the two bottom screws hold in the black ABS plastic piece I used to block most of the hole. It diverts the wind toward the inside of the shield instead of just flowing straight through under the dash. It seems to reduce the wind noise more and helps even more with the buffeting of my helmet even with the shield at its maximum up posittion. I will post pictures if anyone is interested in seeing what I have done.
I'm 6'3" and wear a AGV horizon helmet.

Last edited:
Just got a Vega Flyte duel sports helmet. Never rode with this type of helmet before. This is the quietest helmet I have ever worn. I could hear the engine running. Hardly any wind noise at all. Jafrin had them on sale for $28.

Back