• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Average Fuel Economy

I have added a few things to my bike that I thought would lower mpg (weight and drag) but it never changed. A few weeks ago I noticed a slight decreace when I wired up my heated gear and thought that the exrta charging load might have caused it but after a few warmer days I didn't use the heated gear for two tank fulls and it didn't change. I was talking to a friend about it that delivers fuel and he said that it's the winter additives they put in the gas.

I am getting an average of 58 miles per gallon over the last 3 fills. Also notice a clattering sound while accelerating. Is this normal? I am used to the smooth 4 cylinder engine on a Yamaha so maybe my perceptions are skewed. Is there something I should check because the mpg is not as great as some have claimed.

I am getting an average of 58 miles per gallon over the last 3 fills. Also notice a clattering sound while accelerating. Is this normal? I am used to the smooth 4 cylinder engine on a Yamaha so maybe my perceptions are skewed. Is there something I should check because the mpg is not as great as some have claimed.

What kind of riding are you doing?

High speed -- 70-75 MPH puts me right around 60 MPG most of the time. Add in a bit of wind, or cold temps, or faster speeds, and it'll drop to the mid-50's.

I got 53.4 MPG on a tank this weekend riding ~75 MPH interstate into a 10 MPH headwind with temps in the upper 30s. Later that day, returning home, I got 65.9 MPG on ~65 MPH back roads, light wind, and temps around 70°F.

trey

yep I will go with those figures. I am sure the miracle figures are only seen when you ride this bike slow.
Mike

A lot of stopping and starting will kill the fuel mileage also. I get my best fuel mileage on long rides with minimal stops. Of course riding with the wind at your back would be a lot better.

What do you consider a miracle fuel mileage?

When I first bought my NC, I rode aggressively like I stole to break in engine... During that time I got around 65mpg... After the engine was broken in, I ride normally, short shift and up shift as soon as possible, I average around 75mpg. During canyons run semi aggressively, I get around 70mpg...

The starting and stopping, especially with a cold engine is probably behind a lot of this. I regularly run less than five miles. Shut down, go in to the gym for an hour then do a cold start twice on the way home. This is sending a rich mixture to the engine a lot of the time. I guess I'll have to take a better gauge on this when I run more or less continuously for a tankful of gas.

One last thing. I have to confess to using 87 octane gas. Should I be using the mid-grade or even the high test stuff? Does it make much difference in performance? I may run a tank full of the good stuff through and check the results.

One last thing. I have to confess to using 87 octane gas. Should I be using the mid-grade or even the high test stuff? Does it make much difference in performance? I may run a tank full of the good stuff through and check the results.

There's no reason not to use 87 octane ((R+M)/2) fuel, unless you just want to feed the oil company's bottom line. The "good stuff" won't make your NC run any better, unless you let your brain trick you into thinking that it does.

Uh, oh. The oil debate could become the fuel debate.

Greg

Last edited:
There's no reason not to use 87 octane (R+M/2) fuel, unless you just want to feed the oil company's bottom line. The "good stuff" won't make your NC run any better, unless you let your brain trick you into thinking that it does.

Uh, oh. The oil debate could become the fuel debate.

Greg

+1
The good stuff for a NC is 87 octane without ethanol. I use 91 octane a lot because I can't get 87 octane without ethanol close. When I happen to be in Oklahoma. I fill up with 87 octane without ethanol.

I saw this number in the manual which referred to a RON (Research Octane Number) of 91 but I guess that is not the same thing as octane listed on the pump. On the other hand my driving experience was similar to an earlier response. I had headwinds, high speeds, twisty roads and still conjured up about 58 mpg. Maybe that is just normal, but I am seeing reports of 70 mpg, etc. which throws doubt on the issue. Wish they had designed a little bit bigger gas tank somewhere in that big space between the rear wheel and the rear seat. An extra gallon would go a long way. Stop.

correct USA uses an average of RON and MON. exactly why it says ((R+M)/2) 87 octance USA is what the bike specs... or is that 86.. been a while since i read the manual.

yup just checked. 86 (R+M)/2 is our USA requirement

The best I've gotten so far has been 59 MPG. Biggest problem I have is that I mostly ride to school and back, 8 miles one way, so far. Add to that I use the top case loaded with my not always light bookbag and my 230 lbs self. The average temp so far has only been in the low 40's as well.

Been through about 5 tanks of pretty aggressive riding. 20-40 mile straights aren't uncommon but mainly twisties that I have almost used every last speck of tread from sidewall to sidewall. Avg 66.4 MPG using 91 octane NON ethanol go juice.

Last 5 tanks:

3/9 - 70.6MPG
3/4 - 71.0MPG
2/23 - 69.4MPG
2/17 - 66.2MPG
2/11 - 69.6MPG

5 tank running average - 68.4MPG

Back