• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a nice ride up a local mountain pass again, but this time i tried a different FS trail. I ended up dropping out 2 miles from one of my favorite PIE shops!! :{P
Harrison Creamery.jpg
Strawberry/Rhubarb with Mocha Almond Fudge Ice Cream! :{P

Last edited:
Received my Tusk boxes. Need to figure out how I want to mount them.
These are the ‘large’ size.

6aef10deafecb3a26a60051567c2ae2d.jpg

All reports are accurate. Welds are kinda lumpy and powder coat is pretty good on the outside surface but lumpy on the inside.
Overall these are better than expected quality based on some reviews.

JT

I have Acerbis handguards, and light strips for them, but the lights are 2 wire so I'd have to decide whether to a) wire them up as running only b) wire them up as turn only c) add some electronics to run them as turn signals (either at full or reduced brightness)

I'd considered, once I do that, putting lights on in place of the stock turn signals.

Not really electronics, just a quarter (coin) sized piece with 2 wires on one side and 3 on the other. Technically it IS electronics as the guts are a diode, but there's really nothing to it, you connect the two wire side to the lights and the 3 wire side to your neutral, your indicator wire (color wire is different for each side of the bike), and the regular DRL wire. If you follow the wires from the stock DRL/indicators you're good to go. Using Posi-Taps made the whole thing a breeze.

was 55 when I left this morning. Put a fleece on under the mesh jacket (will be 70+ for the ride home), and put the grips on heat setting of 2 (of 5). I really like heated grips, even for just taking the edge off cool!!

Bike was acting a bit squirrelly on a curvy road yesterday while riding home.

Rode into the dealer this morning for an oil change. He found the rear tire about 50% pressure low. 2 nails in the rear tire.

Bike was acting a bit squirrelly on a curvy road yesterday while riding home.

Rode into the dealer this morning for an oil change. He found the rear tire about 50% pressure low. 2 nails in the rear tire.
That is something you should have checked and found as soon as you got home, long before riding it again to the dealer the next day. When you've only got 2 tires to ride on, things like that should be at top of the list of things to monitor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That is something you should have checked and found as soon as you got home...

I actually stopped on the road and checked them. Didn't find the nails.

I've been watching some uneven wear on the front tire. It's been getting progressively worse. After looking things over I presumed it was the front tire and its uneven wear. Figured it was due to the heavy load from luggage during our Great Lakes trip. Rear wheel is wearing normally. Tread is worn but not so bad that I'd consider it an issue. Tires have been on my radar for replacement at the end of summer.

I pointed the front tire out to the dealer when I pulled into his lot and asked about prices on new tires before I even got my riding jacket off. He looked at the front tire, said it was unusual cupping wear. Did a tire pressure and it was good. Looked at the rear and said it actually looked good, but didn't do a full inspection as we were talking. He said "you'll feel that front" and so he and I both came to the same conclusion.

The technician found 1 nail in the tire when he was inspecting it. I actually found the other nail before the tech pointed out the first nail. Both were tiny, probably 18 gauge, nail gun type nails. He said it was safe to ride home on, aired it up and did a soap bubble test, showed me that there was just the slightest air leak. So the reality is that the front tire probably was the road handling issue and the 2 nails were just a bonus.

Bike is home now, with 2 nails in the rear. Nails are so small I can't plug the holes unless I bore them out to about 5x their size first. No way I can get a rasp into the holes to prepare them for a plug. I have road grade/military 'slime' for tires that I can inject but it makes it a mess for the tire tech. I use it on my tractors and other ag equipment.

I'll air it up just before I go back to the dealer for the new tires. Until then I'll ride a different bike.

I've been watching some uneven wear on the front tire. It's been getting progressively worse. After looking things over I presumed it was the front tire and its uneven wear. Figured it was due to the heavy load from luggage during our Great Lakes trip. Rear wheel is wearing normally. Tread is worn but not so bad that I'd consider it an issue. Tires have been on my radar for replacement at the end of summer.

I pointed the front tire out to the dealer when I pulled into his lot and asked about prices on new tires before I even got my riding jacket off. He looked at the front tire, said it was unusual cupping wear. Did a tire pressure and it was good. Looked at the rear and said it actually looked good, but didn't do a full inspection as we were talking. He said "you'll feel that front" and so he and I both came to the same conclusion.

The technician found 1 nail in the tire when he was inspecting it. I actually found the other nail before the tech pointed out the first nail. Both were tiny, probably 18 gauge, nail gun type nails. He said it was safe to ride home on, aired it up and did a soap bubble test, showed me that there was just the slightest air leak. So the reality is that the front tire probably was the road handling issue and the 2 nails were just a bonus.

Bike is home now, with 2 nails in the rear. Nails are so small I can't plug the holes unless I bore them out to about 5x their size first. No way I can get a rasp into the holes to prepare them for a plug. I have road grade/military 'slime' for tires that I can inject but it makes it a mess for the tire tech. I use it on my tractors and other ag equipment.

I'll air it up just before I go back to the dealer for the new tires. Until then I'll ride a different bike.

If the rear was 50% low of air (20 psi or less), you 100% would be feeling that, less so a cupped out front. Although if the front is worn to where there is a "shoulder" on one or both sides of the tire, that will make it feel squirly too. The Avon Cobras on my Nomad are to that point now after about 10k miles on them, sketchy going around sharp curves now.

I don't see why they couldn't just put a boot patch on the inside over each of the holes, or just one if both holes can be covered by one patch. And I definitely wouldn't use the slime.

It seems crazy to me for a dealer to just send you on your way with nails in your tires, whether holding air and passing a soap/water bubble test or not, without fixing it.

Last edited:

One of the best investments I have made is a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

What about getting a cheap syringe with a stout ‘needle’ tip (like for glue or lubricant)and load it with slime. Shove the needle in the holes and apply slime directly in the nail pin holes. That should stop the leak. Then you can ride for a while before changing tires. I wouldn’t plan a long trip, but should be just fine for day to day use.

Shove it through. Put a small gob in there and keep squeezing while pulling the needle out of the tire. Then rotate the tire with the hole at the bottom overnight to seal.

JT

Received my Tusk boxes. Need to figure out how I want to mount them. These are the ‘large’ size
If you do not mind me asking, what did those run you? :{)

OK, so i'll admit that i did know it was going to dump put in that general area, however i did not know that it would dump me out that close to their front door!! haha :{P

Today the NC and i just rode to work. I have been finding creative ways to haul things/supplies on it for work so i do not have to take the Sienna. So far so good, ya just gotta love Dale's Rack for tying stuff down! :{)

Ordered them from Amazon. Similar end cost as RockymountainATVMC. About $230 for the pair.

JT

That is a great price and I really like the Tusk boxes.

They were my second choice. I got a pair of H&B Gobi boxes for only slightly more than that on Ebay.

The only real downside to the Tusk boxes is you have to figure out your own mounting holes, etc. But the boxes themselves are great. The dealer where we bought my wife's bike rode a KTM with Tusk boxes so I was able examine them. Excellent box at a fantastic price. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences and travels with the Tusks.

Was going to do the front brakes today but according to the factory wear marks they have some more life in them. Might be able to push it off until I have to replace the front tire and do a good caliper clean at the same time. The EBC replacements say to replace them at 2mm of remaining pad but the stock marks look closer to 1mm. Will keep my eye on them at each chain lube interval.

This morning I cleaned my bike within an inch of its life; quite therapeutic I think and a fantastic way to get reassurance that everything is where it should be.

That said, does anyone have suggestions on how to make the brown exhaust more appealing; will a spray paint adhere to such a hot pipe?
e99742e7b3c7671181b3fb30a59a1a68.jpg

...and although movement in the chain is fine, with no tight spots or such to be found, should I be looking to replace a chain where the rubber o-rings are splitting and showing themselves between the links?

fb4e8b5f6d2139b40d9aa4f142b9bce9.jpg

After all, wasn't it a fault in an o-ring that spelled disaster on Challenger shuttle and indeed the plane the singer Kirstie McColl was on?

Rode my wife's NC700x to the barber shop. Got a haircut. Rode home.

Mine is still sitting in the garage with 2 nails in the rear tire :(

Did about 100 miles this morning before the storms began to build again. No idea where I went or how I worked my way back home - my kind of “nowhere special” ride.

Latest patch of the rear tire is A-OK. And the NEMO2 chain oiler is doing it’s job. Few more weeks=cooler weather=ROAD TRIP:cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back