• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Temperature at 42, so I took a short ride. Also got the Goldwing out, passed 5,000 on it.

It is -9 degrees here this morning and getting colder throughout the day. Not going to ride today! Forecast is -18 degrees tomorrow.

I think I’ll read some oil threads and dream about spring!

JT

The dealer called and said my dash is fixed - had it 3 weeks. They gave me a discount putting tires on which was cool. To bad my trailer is snowed into the back yard and my riding mower does not have chains to drag it out. Its -2 here good grief

tore down the front fairings to get at the dang air cleaner in record speed! only two hours this time around

noticed my old filter smelled like petrol, is that indicative of a problem or is that due to the filter being oiled?

Attachments

• naked small.jpg
    naked small.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 176
tore down the front fairings to get at the dang air cleaner in record speed! only two hours this time around

noticed my old filter smelled like petrol, is that indicative of a problem or is that due to the filter being oiled?
It's normal for a used air filter to have the smell of gasoline in it. It sits above the intake tract that has fuel/air mixture remaining in it when the engine is turned off.

Do you have a service manual to detail the steps for removing/changing the air filter? It's about a 30 minute job on 2012-2015s coming down from the top after removing the maintenance cover, couple of pieces of fairing, and moving the center part with the lock out of the way.

It's normal for a used air filter to have the smell of gasoline in it. It sits above the intake tract that has fuel/air mixture remaining in it when the engine is turned off.

Do you have a service manual to detail the steps for removing/changing the air filter? It's about a 30 minute job on 2012-2015s coming down from the top after removing the maintenance cover, couple of pieces of fairing, and moving the center part with the lock out of the way.

Ah, that makes sense. One less thing to worry about.

I do have the NC700 manual and the Common Service Manual. I haven't been able to find official numbers of how long it's supposed to take, but I can list the steps out. If you're especially curious I can snap some photos of the manual. The 16/17 variant fiddled with the front end quite a bit from what I understand. Most of the accessories for the front are not compatible with the 12-15 models, much to my wallet's disappointment.

To remove the air filter, first remove:
-Side Panel (screws and tabs)
-Front Side Cowl/Middle Cowl (clips, few different kinds of bolts, tabs, grommet slits)
-Inner Upper Cover (clips, srews, tabs) - this part required me to wiggle and flex the cover around in ways I suspected were Bad.
YOLO only once ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
-[skipped] Windscreen (bolts, washers)
-[skipped]Meter Stay (electrical connection, bolts)
-Center Cover (bolts, fiddle with cables but don't remove)
-Air Cleaner Assembly (screws) and then reverse order to reinstall

I discovered I accidentally two steps while typing this post :rolleyes:

Last edited:
My ride to work was supposed to be good with scattered showers, no fog and it was scattered showers on the eastern side of the hill, on the west side it was a solid constant down pour[emoji25]
My ride home was great with temps in the 50's and scattered showers
e3284be998dfa3b514f5aaa2757ef7ca.jpg

The air was clean and clear and the lighting worked out perfectly

Last edited:
Hit the 50's yesterday so I did a local ride, just turning down roads I haven't tried. Nice afternoon. Just a couple of hours to sooth my soul.

I looked over the melting ice in my driveway and had this crazy idea that I might be able to ride the NC after a couple more days of warm weather.

It got warm enough for the adventurous here today. I didn’t ride though. While driving this morning all the cars in front of me were kicking up clouds of fine salt dust, covering my windshield. Nice dry day and I had to use my washers and wipers a lot. No way am I riding and breathing that garbage into my lungs, much less coating my bike with it into all the nooks and crannies.

JT

Last edited:
I picked up my bike from dealership finally. I had to shovel snow and chisel ice to get trailer out. Its not enclosed so my black bike turned snow white on the trip.

Anyway the dealer supposedly just went through a startup software procedure on the trip meter, after checking electronic connections. Whatever, I'm hoping to ride to work Tuesday!

Swapped the Battery Tender to the NC for its week to charge.
I suppose I could buy a couple of tenders and leave them all plugged in all winter to each battery, but where’s the fun in that.

JT

I have battery tenders on my NC700, my drz400, my boat, my utility vehicle, my clay pigeon thrower, and two lawnmowers.
I keep my Goldwing in a storage unit in town because my road is wet, heavy clay that is hard to get off.

I have 17 batteries to maintain so I just use 3 chargers and rotate them through the fleet as needed, when there are periods on non-use. It doesn't require much effort.

Took advantage of the warm weather and did a valve adjustment. 3 sort of tight exhaust valves. I love not having to deal with shims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back