• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing. 28 early, 40 later. A ridiculously long winter. If I could get my wife to retire we would move further south.

B212C4BF-C579-48B4-BA46-BF74A12B32B9.jpg

Last edited:
Tried to install my rear brake pads today. The dealer gave me the wrong ones >.<. They were good about it and gave me the right ones. Something to do on another day. It's funny how when you ride from warm to cold weather without a break you just adapt to it. After a break there seems to be very little motivation to run out in the wet/rainy mornings.

Got the rear brakes finished today. Nice little job...of course the right pads help >.< A shout out the ratcheting clamps that were useful for pushing back the piston and keep the reservoir level.
P_20180408_112708.jpg

Got the rear brakes finished today. Nice little job...of course the right pads help >.<

potter...........I say leave the exhaust just as-is.......the neighbors will love you for it............and learn to despise all other bikers!!! :D

(just kidding)

Saturday morning woke up to snow covering everything-not much but everything white and 24'F, argghhh. By noon it was all melted but roads still wet and 44'F. Nope not riding. Yesterday it was mostly sunny but mid 40's F as high again-couldn't ride-took my momma to church (I am not a church going guy but it makes her happy) for a birthday thing and then birthday lunch afterwards (she was 78 this week). Woke up this morning to snow covering everything again and below freezing (31' F). Suppose to get up to about low 50s today with 60s maybe the next 2 days. Thursday in the 70s and Friday may reach 80-Yea... and then a frigging cold front moves in. Saturday (which is the last moonburger lunch run), the forecast for here and in Martinsville Illinois area (lunch run is in the vicinity) is low 60s for the high and 70% of showers and thunder showers with winds gusting to 40+mph...arghh. I am going to ride Thursday and Friday, call will be made for Saturday morning when I get up.... If I ride over, I will head out about 830-9am ET (which is 730-8am their time-Central).

With this weather here today I just had to go for a ride!

image.jpg

The new side cases came in handy, since this is where I ended up! :D I didn't take a picture, but I pulled up at Cabelas next to a gentleman that was getting on a fully decked out Moto-Guzi. He said he'd taken it on many trips, including all the way from here (Seattle/Tacoma area), to Maryland and back. He appeared to be in his 60's and said he's owned numerous Guzi's, and still has the first one he bought in 1971! We talked M/C camping for awhile and parted ways. You meet the nicest people on motorcycles.
image.jpg

Weather broke a little today, not as nice as Carl's picture but nice enough to ride to work today! Got in a few more miles today and enough to have to get some fuel finally. Tank 2 netted me 154 miles, 2.4 gals giving me 64MPG! I'd like to get one more tank in it before i add the 17T front sprocket. :{)

We had a nice day after a cool morning.
I rode about 150 miles for the day, first into Missouri, then to Baxter Springs, Kansas, for a baseball game.

High school baseball, sunshine, and the American flag.

E089E8E8-D71E-429B-9EE1-14E222BBBE3E.jpg

Last night, the local Cycle Gear shop had it's monthly "bike night" and considering it is only a couple miles from the house, I headed over for the grilled meats and to see who all shows up. It wasnt a warm night (47 deg) so while I wasnt planning on staying long, I was there for about 1.5 hours. Always nice to see who and what shows up to these - it is always a wide range of people and bikes. But, the best thing was I ended up walking away with a $50 gift card from CG. I can easily spend that, maybe put it towards a rear tire for later this year.

Rode yesterday, a near perfect riding day, 250 miles just to get out. Took my time, did it in about 6 hours with stops along the way to check out some awesome locations and food. Louisville -> Rabbit Hash, KY -> Aurora, IN for a micro-brew (Great Crescent) -> Madison, IN for a diner burger and shake (Hinkles) -> and back home.

Was a nice day for maintenance work today. Re-attached muffler, left foot peg holder, aligned chain, set slack, oil and filter change. I'm running out of excuses not to be riding. I found a new trick for people who use this type of filter tool. I find it often gets stuck on the filter. Today I tapped the tool towards the filter which caused it self centers itself and comes right off. I use to tap it off with a screw driver. This is sooo much easier.

P1030824.jpg

Was a nice day for maintenance work today. Re-attached muffler, left foot peg holder, aligned chain, set slack, oil and filter change. I'm running out of excuses not to be riding. I found a new trick for people who use this type of filter tool. I find it often gets stuck on the filter. Today I tapped the tool towards the filter which caused it self centers itself and comes right off. I use to tap it off with a screw driver. This is sooo much easier.

View attachment 36020

Do the threads on that nut go through such that a longish bolt could be used to push the filter off?

SKYLINE DRIVE... A bit more than I bargained for, 438 miles yesterday. I should have checked the maps more carefully!

From Baltimore I picked up 70 west to Frederick and 340 south to Front Royal, 115 miles in nearly 3 hours. Route 340 has traffic lights and towns (Berryville, I think, was having a community yard sale...). We finally made the northern end of Skyline Drive about 10:30 AM. It had taken so long to get to Front Royal that I despaired of doing the complete Drive, my armchair plan.

It was a great pleasure to start on Skyline. Perfect surface, leaves not yet out on the roadside woods. The 35 mph limit was no burden; I had no particular wish to go any faster. Nearly all of the turns, except maybe a couple of tight hairpins, could be executed at 35. There were quite a few bicyclists, no impediment unless there was also oncoming traffic.

Here's just a shot along the a typical section of the Drive. Didn't need all three Givi boxes, but I wanted to check them out in anticipation of summer touring.Skyline-Drive-road-20180414_111210_resized-s.jpg

I stopped for lunch at the Skyland area, about 42 miles down the 105-mile Drive, and a fellow rider snapped this one... pardon the "helmet hair"! Skyline-Drive-lunch-20180414_123454_resized-s.jpg

An idea of the appealing views is suggested by one I snapped at one of the 75 "scenic overlooks." Not sure which one this is. Skyline-Overlook_1145AM-DSC01377s.JPG

It was 2:45 PM when I reached the southern terminus at Rockfish Gap... hmmm, over 200 miles from home. What do I do now? My "armchair" plan was to head west over to 340 and take it north, all the way back to Frederick, but I remembered all those traffic lights and towns and chose I-64 west to I-81 at Staunton VA. In a couple of hours I was refueling in Winchester, where I picked up Rt. 7 east to 340 at Berryville, then north to Harpers Ferry and Frederick. Home 6:45 PM. (BTW, 78 mpg at that Winchester fill-up. All that 30-35 mph riding, even in 4th gear, was great for the fuel economy.)

Beautiful weather, mid-70F I think, clear skies, no real traffic until the usual insane dash on I-70 approaching Baltimore. Nearly every trailhead parking area along Skyline Drive was filled to overflowing --- great to see so many people enjoying the woods on this gorgeous day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back