• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fixed a crack in the Givi touring windscreen with CA glue, because it vibrated too much because of the wind.

I finally hooked up my Oxford Oximiser 900. I already had a lead off my battery for a USB port so the SAE connector was already installed. Hummm So I just pluged it in. Sounded way cooler in my head.

Gave it a wash, removing all the road salts that has been sitting there for 2 weeks. One of the dogbones has some rust on it :/

So Sad to see that machine shrouded in snow.

Last night, commuting home in the rain (not snow), I had to pull over to record a small milestone....

20knc700.jpg

The temperature made it into the forties F. So I went for a short ride with heated gear on low.
Watched for unusual vehicles for tag, no luck.
Only 58 mpg on this tank, but there was some substantial warm up time.

Install a K&N Air Filter into NaNCy this afternoon.

Just curious: what was the reason for going K&N instead of stock?

In my GL1800, I had switched to K&N a long time ago for the promise of longer service intervals. The GL1800 filter access is way worse than the NC700X’s. But, I observed that the K&N filter in the GL1800 wasn’t trapping much dirt at all, so I just bought a stock Honda air filter and I’m throwing the K&N away. I’m using stock filters in the NC, but I just wondered what the common motives were for using K&N.

Last edited:
Just curious: what was the reason for going K&N instead of stock?

In my GL1800, I had switched to K&N a long time ago for the promise of longer service intervals. The GL1800 filter access is way worse than the NC700X’s. But, I observed that the K&N filter in the GL1800 wasn’t trapping much dirt at all, so I just bought a stock Honda air filter and I’m throwing the K&N away. I’m using stock filters in the NC, but I just wondered what the common motives were for using K&N.

I have been running K&N filters on a variety of vehicles over 20 years. I never had an issue with them and found them to perform better than the traditional filters they replaced. I always found this them to trap more dirt, well more visible dirt than the OEMs in those applications. Proper cleaning and reoiling is what insures the filter's performance.

The OEM filters are more restrictive on airflow and at times have the minimal amount of surface area filtration media needed for their prospective application. K&N also lab test all their designs before mass producing any given item to ISO 5011. Please visit the K&N website for more information regarding this subject, K&N Air Filter Efficiency Testing.

I also find the NC's OEM Filter to be wasteful. It is quite a large assembly with a plastic structure with the filter media permanently attached and has to be discarded in the trash. The K&N is reusable over and over again.

Went for a short ride this morning. Got back about 45 minutes later and cleaned the chain with kerosene and bled with motor oil. Then installed a battery tender. Also tied up some wiring fo my fog lights.

Chuck

[...The OEM filters are more restrictive on airflow and at times have the minimal amount of surface area filtration media needed for their prospective application...]

True but they were also designed as a package with the intake & exhaust systems. I've always used the OEM filters on Honda road bikes.

I have been running K&N filters on a variety of vehicles over 20 years. I never had an issue with them and found them to perform better than the traditional filters they replaced. I always found this them to trap more dirt, well more visible dirt than the OEMs in those applications. Proper cleaning and reoiling is what insures the filter's performance.

The OEM filters are more restrictive on airflow and at times have the minimal amount of surface area filtration media needed for their prospective application. K&N also lab test all their designs before mass producing any given item to ISO 5011. Please visit the K&N website for more information regarding this subject, K&N Air Filter Efficiency Testing.

I also find the NC's OEM Filter to be wasteful. It is quite a large assembly with a plastic structure with the filter media permanently attached and has to be discarded in the trash. The K&N is reusable over and over again.

[...The OEM filters are more restrictive on airflow and at times have the minimal amount of surface area filtration media needed for their prospective application...]

True but they were also designed as a package with the intake & exhaust systems. I've always used the OEM filters on Honda road bikes.

From my limited knowledge, K&N filters allows more airflow and therefore more dirt may go through. They are washable and re-usable but the airflow may not be within the range of the ECU controls for your NC700. Most people who run K&N tend to want it for reusability and perceived power "gains". I beg to differ on the latter unless you have also changed the header pipes and exhaust and redone the fuel mapping etc.

I would not recommend using a K&N on the NC700x...it does not do much except give you a feeling of "feeling you have modified something".
:p

In the interest of creating a new 'oil thread' topic (joking!) - more reading on air filters:
Air Filtration Test

Thanks for the link. I’ve heard lots of reasons for using K&N filters, and I’ve even tried them myself (although I’m done with them now). Since Bruce is a long standing forum member, I just wondered what his reasoning was. I realize I’m the one that opened the can of worms, however, in the interest of staying on track, I think any further discussion on air filters can go in its own thread.

Finally got a chance to take it for a "real" ride! Since the trip from the dealer to the house was a straight shot, just trying to get home before I froze, I didn't get a chance to really ride it.
Today, I met up with a CTX/dct owner and we took a 150 mile trip through the most twistie roads Florida has to offer. Still trying to learn the DCT. Tried every mode and manual. So far it's nice to just put it in "D" or "S" and let her go.
Although it's too soon to say, if I had to a gun to my head and had to chose between a manual and DCT...at this time...I'd have to go with the manual. NOT KNOCKING THE DCT...just not quite used to it yet.

One thing that's hard to overcome is that feel for what gear you're in, if that makes any sense. On my manual CTX I always know what gear and where the powerbands are. For whatever reason, the DCT hasn't given me that feel...yet.

As for the actual NC, it rides really nice! Hit the corners a tad bit faster than with my CTX. I will have to adjust the bars - probably going to take off the Rox risers for now and see how that feels. (Did that to my CTX also. Bought them, installed them, liked the CTX without them better.)

One thing that was bugging me is the foot position. A little too underneath/back from my V-strom. If Honda moved them forward a few inches it'd be perfect!

Overall, VERY happy with this motorcycle!

As far as knowing what gear you are in to hit the powerband, if you are in D mode you can pretty much assume that you will need to downshift to hit the power band. It keeps you in a gear appropriate for gentle cruising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back