• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much why I avoid many rallies and bike nights. I have nothing against the types mentioned above, just not my cup of tea. I'd rather hang out with a few riders that don't feel the need to show off.

Went south and west yesterday, but wildfire smoke was getting thicker and it didn't look like it would improve as I traveled further. So I changed my mind and backtracked, then headed up for Glacier NP, where all the Montana fires have not yet become so evident. I was up there late enough that a lot of traffic had died down.

2017-07-27 18;18;41 by greenboy, on Flickr

Been awhile since I saw both a Mountain Goat and a Bighorn in proximity. Brought it in 800mm [FF equivalent] handheld.

2017-07-27 17;28;01 by greenboy, on Flickr

Local dealer asked me to ride a new Africa Twin in a group ride of about 500 bikes. While I wanted to ride the bike, not in that setting. Turned them down

I installed a G2 throttle tamer and Motogadget m-Grip Soft Grips. Looks nice. Don't really notice much difference in throttle though. I also laid the bike down in my drive way and broke the brake lever. I am really having trouble with the bike's weight. I am recovering from a major illness and have lost majority of muscle mass so I am finding it to be a challenge. Any way, I ordered 2 stock brake levers and 1 stock clutch. I figure it may be a good item to store in the frunk until I can confidently manage the bike's weight.

Where you'd especially notice a G2 throttle tamer is (1) prolonged slow traffic with lots of starts and stops, or (2) off-pavement riding when it's more than just plowing along on a gravel/hardpack road at a relatively steady speed. The more technical the track gets the more the fine-grained control in the lower midrange becomes a blessing.

Getting the dinner bell so I don't have time to look at all the pics I took today, but here's the first one. How'd I do over 250 miles with such a late start and so many stops? ; }

2017-07-28 12;12;04 by greenboy, on Flickr

Where you'd especially notice a G2 throttle tamer is (1) prolonged slow traffic with lots of starts and stops, or (2) off-pavement riding when it's more than just plowing along on a gravel/hardpack road at a relatively steady speed. The more technical the track gets the more the fine-grained control in the lower midrange becomes a blessing.
Yep. I was hoping for a bit smoother starts. Hard to say if there is that much difference. I know that people say the nc700 isn't that twitchy anyways, so maybe the difference isn't that much?

With the G2 Throttle Tamer I could consistently apply better control over maintaining or changing low speeds even in less than smooth terrain. But it still took some awareness on my part to make use of what it offers. Maybe you are only using it on pavement? I wouldn't bother if that is the case, one can just use the clutch to modulate parking lot crawls.

I rode over to Seneca and then Noel and Jane, Missouri.
Lunch at the Jane Store. A Reuben sandwich.

IMG_0196.jpg

There is an amazing twisty loop that uses 76, 90, and K.
I rode about 130 miles and ended up at Grove, Oklahoma for a gun show.
All I bought was a knife, though there were some nice bolt actions for very reasonable prices.

Last edited:
A friend and I rode back roads from our homes in Seymour, TN to south edge of Asheville, NC to look at a house he is renting for a few nights to celebrate with immediate family their 60th wedding Anniversary. Foggy start and then bright sunshine with some cool temps. 220 miles and the NC averaged 72.6 mph with about 100 of that on the interstate and cruising. Love that bike, the mpg and my new Israeli seat cover.

My last shot from today before I passed everything on the road for 35 miles or so in spite of the stock Honda windmaker.

2017-07-29 18;29;52 by greenboy, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I mentioned from two days ago up on torturous Looking Glass Hill, where the riding buddies for a couple hours were all dragging floorboards or other metal and/or bottoming out suspension whilst the NC with its rather harsh suspension at least had clearance and some nimble handling. Got to thank the Avon TrailRider tires too though, they are better at destroyed pavement of several types, repairs and tar snakes, and slumps and bumps, than the Bridgestones I had.

I couldn't get my NC in frame in this "all different brand of cycles" shot without either re-parking or stepping off the edge here, in spite of using that brand new ultrawide lens ; }

2017-07-28 15;23;38 by greenboy, on Flickr

Put some km's on the clock.
220km to be precise.
Got some nice shots from the Ronquieres inclined plane in Wallonia.

Z4un56Gl.jpg

Fujd43ol.jpg

EyLTH6cl.png

Rather interesting how the mechanism works. Got to see it in the panoramic tower, but the rest of the tour wasn't worth it.

NJ Palisades to NY Harriman State Park Loop - Bucket List Item!

This was one of my short-term bucket list items -- taking the new motorcycle up from New York City to Harriman State Park and then all around in there. Only an hour away usually, but I started at 6:00 am and took the slow and scenic route up the Shore Road under the Palisades. Then once inside Harriman State Park, I made sure the go east/west to get the twisties on Route 106 west and back east on Arden Valley Road. It was a great morning of riding, about five hours including the trip up and back from NYC.

(Finally, it was my first ride wearing a helmet with a Sena bluetooth headset. I hadn't used Sena before. Wow, directions, music -- a whole new world)

Rough route map of the Harriman area:
route.jpg

Bottom of the Palisades under the George Washington Bridge:

20170730_070225.jpg
20170730_070413a.jpg

Accidental detour to the route's westernmost point, the Renaissance Faire (open next week!).

20170730_085126.jpg

Lake Tiorati circle. Yay motorcycle parking:

20170730_094520.jpg

Top of Perkins Memorial Drive.

20170730_100016a.jpg

Eastern side across the Hudson, looking west toward Iona Island.

20170730_102340.jpg

Last edited:
This was one of my short-term bucket list items -- taking the new motorcycle up from New York City to Harriman State Park and then all around in there. Only an hour away usually, but I started at 6:00 am and took the slow and scenic route up the Shore Road under the Palisades. Then once inside Harriman State Park, I made sure the go east/west to get the twisties on Route 106 west and back east on Arden Valley Road. It was a great morning of riding, about five hours including the trip up and back from NYC.

(Finally, it was my first ride wearing a helmet with a Sena bluetooth headset. I hadn't used Sena before. Wow, directions, music -- a whole new world)

Rough route map of the Harriman area:

Bottom of the Palisades under the George Washington Bridge:

Accidental detour to the route's westernmost point, the Renaissance Faire (open next week!).

Lake Tiorati circle. Yay motorcycle parking:

Top of Perkins Memorial Drive.

Eastern side across the Hudson, looking west toward Iona Island.

Thanks for posting this. I spent many a weekend camping in Harriman State Park

Packed up the bike to go camping this weekend, as it was a perfect weekend for it, low temps, low humidity. Got up at dawn and headed out towards Red River Gorge with the intention of trying out my new hammock and just relax a bit, however, after 180 miles I got there, checked 8 different campgrounds (I do not have a back country pass for the area, so no roadside camping) and none had vacancy... Stopped for a quick bite at Miguels and headed out again for another area. I rode another 50 or so into the western side of Daniel Boone and to 6 more campgrounds, including one I have stayed at before, Lago Lindas. She had space, but in a field with no trees. Not really what I was looking for - I have a tent, but wanted to test the hammock... So, I called some friends near Bardstown who have some lake property near Bardstown, however there was no camping on the property allowed, only in the designated campground on the lake, which was? Full... So, it was about 4pm when I turned north again and headed home, defeated. There were a few other places I could have checked, however it was late enough that if there was room earlier in the day, they would be full at that point. It was a perfect weekend for hiking and camping.

All that being said - it was still a 400+ mile day on the bike, so not a tear can be shed.

This weekend was my wife and I's wedding anniversary. And this year we decided to do something different rather than the "nice dinner, bottle of wine" deal.

So we started the day on the NC for a nice "round-the-way" ride through the local park systems and some awesome back roads I love to ride on.
This led us to a Kayak rental spot.
Anni-1.jpg

Then we went Kayaking. I highly recommend a tandem kayak, as if you sit your better half in the front she won't know when you are not paddling, and just enjoying the view. :p
Anni-2.jpg

The NC's hard bags held all of our stuff perfectly. Several changes of clothes, extra shoes, wife's purse and everything I needed. Also when we got to the restaurant, the frunk and my top box held both our helmets and even my jacket and touring pants!
Anni-3.jpg

We changed from active wear into semi casual wear and headed to the "new" Cleveland Flats. (not impressed, bunch of over priced everything and a lot of people pretending to be cooler than they are)
We did manage to have a nice semi casual dinner at a new Brewery called Collision Bend.Cool place, decent food BUT there in-house brews leave a little to be desired.
I had my one and only beer for the night. It was a Collision Bend IPA, really nothing special. Not my fav. Would not get it again.
Anni-4.jpg

After dinner we then walked down the board walk and saw some pretty hilarious things. These ladies thought it was a good idea to sun their butts in front of 2000 people trying to eat dinner at all the restaurants.
20170729_182455.jpg

After dinner we took a nice ride long ride around the city and Lake Erie. It was the perfect temp and a really nice ride.
To end the night we stopped by a local spot a half mile from our house and my wife had a couple glasses of wine and I stuck to tonic water.

The reason I mentioned that is usually on our anniversary I would have had a few beers and some wine and uber-ed home and felt like the dogs balls on Sunday. But since I was riding my motorcycle, I didn't and woke up early Sunday and went for an awesome solo ride!

Anni-5.jpg

(That jacket makes me look like a bloated whale.. I may need to get a smaller one! hahaha)

And took a REALLY extended round-a-bout way ride to Stan Hywet. It's only around 38 miles from me as the road goes, but with proper twisty road diversions and back road travels, I extended that milage to around 85 miles.
Anni-6.jpg

Awesome weekend with my awesome wife and my awesome little NC!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back