• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about my NC’ sitting in a storage unit back in Oregon while reading posts about cold, ice, and snow on these threads.

I didn’t have much time to think about all that because my breakfast arrived on the beach. Omelette with a baguette and water bottle, $3.00 and tasty!

B8DE5611-53D2-4F5F-9D09-C9D1286B410F.jpg

Lots of Chinese and Russian touriss have the town almost completely booked up. A billion strong Chinese middle class with expendable yuan to spend will do that. I had to settle on a hostel for $5.00 a nite thru Jan 4th and then I’m booked at Haad Rin Beach, Ko Phangan, Thailand for a week.

Spot is still working here.

SpotWalla.com - Trip Viewer

Happy Holidays to all!

Ray

I. Need. More. Power.

Thrashed NaNCy from Parker, AZ to Kingman, AZ yesterday. Full tank to flashy light in just over 100 miles. Wouldn't pull the 75 MPH speed limit on I-40 due to 30-35 MPH headwinds. Ugh. Estimating 30+ MPG. I'll post again when I go fill up later.

I miss my ST1100. :(

I. Need. More. Power.

Thrashed NaNCy from Parker, AZ to Kingman, AZ yesterday. Full tank to flashy light in just over 100 miles. Wouldn't pull the 75 MPH speed limit on I-40 due to 30-35 MPH headwinds. Ugh. Estimating 30+ MPG. I'll post again when I go fill up later.

I miss my ST1100. :(

The ST probably would have gotten 30+ mpg, too, but you gotta love it’s fuel tank that is literally twice the capacity of the NC’s tank.

I reinstalled the upper part of the SW Motech handguards. It was 55 today (13) so I went for a ride and tested them.
Wind gusts to 35 mph (56 kph) took some of the fun out of it.

I took them off to get more air in the summer, and now I remember that they also prevent use of the throttle lock.

My NC (variation) is slumbering temporarily during a cold snap here. However its little cousin has been very active during the past few days. Couple of pics which were taken on separate days. The roads on the first pic are currently impassable due to a heavy fall of snow since the pic was taken......

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The ST probably would have gotten 30+ mpg, too, but you gotta love it’s fuel tank that is literally twice the capacity of the NC’s tank.

I once ran my 91 ST dry in less than 200 miles, Kerrville, TX to Texarkana. Coasted into the pumps of the interstate. Yes, it was a thrash. :D

Problem with the NC, FULL THROTTLE wouldn't pull the speed limit, and the gas mileage dropped way dramatically. Ran in 5th much of that distance. I could have slowed down but seemed an opportune time to really try her out. Now I know. So, after 16,000 miles, she's been fine up 'til now. :D

Just found a 77,000 mile 2000 ST-A in San Diego for $4500. Tempting. :D But it's no lighter than the last one which was a big reason for getting Nancy. I'm older and weaker. :(

Coldest morning ride yet - NJ/NYC

I woke up this morning with the temp in the low 20s and this out the window in NJ. Luckily the forecast was for clear skies and the roads were clear. I geared up for NYC commute with my usual woolies under and riding gear over. The gloves need an upgrade.

Forget what I said about the heated handgrips being sub-optimal. They are a gift from the god Vulcan himself!

The handlebar mitts came in the mail but I havent figured out how to get them on right yet (the brake lever is getting compressed). I will look up the earlier posts here.

...and put the bike in the garage before it snows again...

View attachment 35390

Attachments

• 20171214_164825.jpg
    20171214_164825.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 192
The handlebar mitts came in the mail but I havent figured out how to get them on right yet (the brake lever is getting compressed). I will look up the earlier posts here.

...and put the bike in the garage before it snows again...

I found that the most effective way to keep the Mitts from compressing the levers is to fit a set of hand guards. I know it is a considerable expense but the interference will otherwise be an issue ongoing. In my situation I used Barkbusters. In wintertime I took off the plastic aspects of the guards, and the metal frames then worked perfectly to prevent any interference with levers. I also have my old mitts on my current X-Adv. It comes with plastic hand guards and the mitts fit on over them.

I received the SW Motech adjustable footpegs. I started to install them and then realized I didn’t have the bases, as Revzilla had to tried to inform me.

It was about 40 and sunny. I rode up to the nursing home in Kansas where my mother is now, though she hopes to come home soon.

I recently bought some battery powered gloves, and with the heated grips I was fine. My arms were cold.

Oh, and pulled over to take this picture. 2015 Black dct model, purchased spring 2016.

041887C2-75F3-427E-ABDF-24D65E0F6257.jpg

Last edited:
My rule if thumb is 50 and sunny. Will have that Sunday. Wed, might be high 60's...and I'm not working. Be a good day to take daughters Rebel 500 for a fresh gas and battery charge ride.

Some funny sounds coming from the rear on Friday. Figured I would do chain maintenance ahead of schedule. Lubed it and found slack to be loose. Something I just realized that others have mentioned. When you lift the chain up it should not bottom out on the underside swingarm guard. Basically it should just clear it. A faster way for me to do a spot check before bringing out the measuring tape. Chain is creeping a little into the red for replacement. I figure snow should be coming in the next 30 days or so and that will put me in maintenance mode. Thinking about changing to a sticky chain lubed for the wet and salt. More protection in my mind...rambling....

Had to replace the battery on Skookum. 2-1/2 years and 20,000 miles. Stock battery wouldn't start the bike if it sat for two days unless it was on the trickle charger. It's been cold lately (28-34 in the mornings) so the commute has required an extra layer. I guess the battery didn't like the cold.
>Thom

Last edited:
A gas and Gatorade stop on the way to Kankakee IL. Enjoying my new tires ( Michelin PR4 ) and some decent IL December weather. 12.17.17.jpg

Waiting for the parts I ordered from Dillion Brothers to put NaNCy into shape and back on the road again. Sure would be nice to get them before or the day after Christmas.

IMG_8888[1].jpg

IMG_8889[1].jpg

IMG_8890[1].jpg

IMG_8891[1].jpg

IMG_8892[1].jpg

I straightened out as much as I can without receiving all the required replacement parts. As little as the damage looks, it's costing me over $500 to put things back into shape. A lot more of the plastic parts behind the body panels were damaged, including the storage compartment. I am not replacing every little thing, just enough to get NaNCy looking good again and road worthy without any further parts falling off.

As it stands now, she's removed from active duty until I can replace all required parts.

I installed the harness for the Hotwired gear along with a splitter and went for a ride.

Jacket and pants, no heated glove or insole.

It was about fifty, so heated gear was really not necessary, but it felt good on low. Medium was a little high. The heat arrives quickly.
It seemed like most of the heat was on the front on both jacket and legs. For some reason the left side on the jacket seemed warmer.

The harness was easy enough to install. I already have an SAE pigtail in the frunk for recharging, but it is not fused, so I did not want to plug the gear into it. (The trickle charger is fused, so I am assuming I do not need another one. )

The Hotwired fuse is 15 amps, which I think is less than the full complement of gear draws. But the jacket and pants each come with a harness, so you could wire them both up and double the fuse capacity. I used their splitter.

The controllers have a bit of a learning curve, because if you just touch the controls on low they cycle back to high. You have to hold them down to turn them off.

The way the wires are set up you have to use two controllers. You cannot use one controller for jacket and pants.

Revzilla just calls them Hotwired. Cycle Gear calls them Sedici, but I suspect Sedici is one guy in an office somewhere hiring companies to make gear under that brand name.

Since today temps are around freezing, rather than sub zero (Fahrenheit) I test fitted a couple mods- they're pretty crude so far, but I'd really like the Rotopax mount to work!
Rotopax-mount-1st-try.jpg

Roads are sloppy today (I live on a gravel / dirt road) so I used the day to install the SW Motech adjustable foot pegs.
They allow you to go up, down, forwards, or back about 1 / 2 inch. I chose down as much as possible.
Easy to install, but not intuitive. Read the instructions. I found it to be a one beer install. I did go buy some new cotter pins, as the stock ones had been off and on a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back