• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2015: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a short ~100 mile ride, we went through one of the recent wildfire areas (6900 acres).
Burned right up to and in a few places across the roadway. Looks like the "creek" actually stopped the fire jumping from one side to the other with the road and a few day campsites.
We didn't stop for pics as this week is doing an imitation of the surface of the sun.
High 90's today with ~105º for the next four days. :( I don't ride in that kind of heat if I can help it.

My boss has been doing a few iron mans per year. No longer a challenge so he has done a couple double iron mans. Takes him around 27 hours. Now he has signed up for a triple iron man. I'm happy to check his progress on line sipping a glass of good red wine.

Installed a 12v accessory outlet - NOT.......

Went to the store and bought a few things so I could install a 12 v outlet (for charging phones and tablets mainly). I bought a waterproof cigarette lighter socket with a pigtail wire that has one of those 'polarized' black rubber connector plugs, a dual USB charge port that plugs into said cig lighter, a 10a inline fuse, and some wiring to get from the battery to a spot near my right knee.

I opened the frunk and removed the battery access cover. While searching for a spot to connect my homebuilt accessory wiring, I found a two-conductor black wire attached directly to the battery.... and it already has a 7a inline fuse in the line! I thought to myself - "Self, you could tap right into that wire and get a positive and a ground. But, we better find out where that wire goes so we don't overload something else. "

Imagine my surprise when I follow that wire and find that it goes out the bottom right-hand side of the battery compartment, drops down behind the body panels to a spot near my right knee position, and ends with a connector exactly like the one I bought at the store! And it has a rubber cap on it for weatherproofing! I had no idea that the NC already had this wiring installed!! And to prove how brilliant those Honda engineers are, they did it EXACTLY the way I was going to do it - except theirs is neater than mine, has better quality wire, its quite secure, and it has a waterproof cap on the end of it - but, other than those things mine's identical. ;-)

I suppose their wiring is actually for charging the battery but will certainly serve my purpose. I love this bike. >T

Last edited:
Took the bike into the expansive and sumptuous LBS motorcycle workshop to put the repaired shock back in, got a new tire installed, and finally got around to making a wee shock mudflap (though now it feels kinda like the whole closing the barn door after the cows have left, thing, lol)

DSCF1847.jpg

DSCF1848.jpg

DSCF1853.jpg

You can see the buzz saw scraping on the inner rear fender where the TKC knobbies rubbed, when the suspension was damaged :eek: Did make me reconsider my previous thoughts on how there is too much room between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fuel tank; I had wished there was less "needless" swoopy space, and instead, perhaps a larger (deeper) gas tank. Now I'm not so sure...

DSCF1852.jpg

Haven't ridden my NCX since sometime in mid April, so I'm beyond antsy to get back on it before summer is totally gone!

Took the bike into the expansive and sumptuous LBS motorcycle workshop to put the repaired shock back in, got a new tire installed, and finally got around to making a wee shock mudflap (though now it feels kinda like the whole closing the barn door after the cows have left, thing, lol)

Very eco friendly workshop ! Neat flap. I didn't realise your shock had failed. If you did a thread on it please point me in that direction ?

Very eco friendly workshop ! Neat flap. I didn't realise your shock had failed. If you did a thread on it please point me in that direction ?

The workshop is so posh that it also converts into the LBS swimming pool, and the LBS cross country ski route, hee hee

The flap is a piece cut out of one of those dollar store cheap plastic round garbage cans (do you guys call even small plastic ones dustbins, or just the larger metal type ones?)

I don't think I did a separate thread posting on elshocko kablooie, but mentioned it further back somewhere here in 2015: What did you do to/with...(I think...)

Basically I can't say it was the shock's fault, I either hit a rock or hit a pothole, or a rock in a pothole lol. To be honest I just heard a great *clack!* on what I assumed was the skidplate and was bounced about, but never crashed or lost control of the bike. I was going too fast, I probably should have been going like 30 kph but was doing around 50-ish?

Since I had been going through potholes and skittering over rocks all along anyways, I didn't think too much of it, until I hit the next one, and realized all the damping on the rear was gone, and there was a metallic thwacking over every bump. (I thought this noise was the centerstand hitting the skidplate at first)

From that point, I was about 50 km's from my destination B, and 70 km's from my beginning of the trail A, so I ended up continuing on through the snow and eventually to the highway, and back home (another 220 km's or so)

Initially I thought I had simply blown an oil seal, but it turned out I had done physical damage. :( I didn't know if the shock was instantly mangled after the initial hit, or if it got that way or worse, trying to get it home before nightfall. No calling the tow service where I was, lol.

The repair and rebuild was frankly amazing from Nitron. I can't go into details, but after my initial misgivings and fear, I am very, very happy with how I was taken care of. In the end it was a notice for me to slow me down. I'm still going to do everything I want on the NC off road, but at a more sedate pace. It is a heavy thing with minimal ground clearance, and I don't want to destroy it or spendy components, I love the bike too much to kill it being silly. :eek:

Last edited:
That is a pig tail for a battery tender installed by the dealer. Some dealers install them on all bikes they sell.

Really? I had a 2009 BMW G650GS that had a pig tail with an SAE plug on it underneath the fairing on the right side by the forks. No one at the dealership could tell me where it had come from or what it was for. The bike came with a BMW 12 volt socket, the pig tail had 12 volts as well.

Last edited:

View attachment 25385

You can see the buzz saw scraping on the inner rear fender where the TKC knobbies rubbed, when the suspension was damaged :eek: Did make me reconsider my previous thoughts on how there is too much room between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fuel tank; I had wished there was less "needless" swoopy space, and instead, perhaps a larger (deeper) gas tank. Now I'm not so sure...

View attachment 25386

Haven't ridden my NCX since sometime in mid April, so I'm beyond antsy to get back on it before summer is totally gone!

I tried to mount a flap last winter in the same spot. I used tie wraps threaded through the cover inside the fender. It lasted two days of riding before it fell off. Do not put any screws through that cover because the lean angle sensor is inside.

I don't think I did a separate thread posting on elshocko kablooie, but mentioned it further back somewhere here in 2015: What did you do to/with...(I think...)

Basically I can't say it was the shock's fault, I either hit a rock or hit a pothole, or a rock in a pothole lol. To be honest I just heard a great *clack!* on what I assumed was the skidplate and was bounced about, but never crashed or lost control of the bike. I was going too fast, I probably should have been going like 30 kph but was doing around 50-ish?

There definitely is one more instance of a shock failing like yours did. You can read about it somewhere on here......

https://nomadsmoto.wordpress.com/

Not a bad record either way.

Today is my NC's third birthday. I bought it about a week after the model first hit US dealers.

To celebrate, I gave her the day off. It's too hot out to ride anyway. ☀️

After thinking it through with a few friends I decided not to sell my NC. So next week it's time to order parts and get her repaired and safe for the road again. At the end, reason prevails, although it was a hard to reach decision.

yeah...I got out for a few miles today...hot, just have to keep moving...I did find some forest to ride in .....helped some.

Discovered when I got home from work this morning that my rear wheel bearings are going bad. Got some play in the wheel. 31,851 miles on the clock. Called the shop, they are a week and a half out for appointments.

Too bad they didn't catch that when repairing the damage from being rear ended. (I think it happened to you.)

"I mean, obviously it's a result of that incident" :rolleyes:

Warning: the wiring to the Honda 12V socket is protected by a 1 AMP fuse which will blow from an iPad charger. The problem is, the fuse is under the bodywork and takes an hour to access and another hour to cover up. I replaced the fuse with a 5 amp fuse after paying 180 dollars to change the blown fuse...Highly recommend the fuse change before installing the wiring harness.

If you used insurance (yours or theirs) I think you can add it on to the accident at a later date. Suggest calling Ins. provider because many times damage is not noticed till a later date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back