• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2015: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a record low gas mileage experience last week... I took a 200 mile west to east freeway run straight into a steady and strong headwind, keeping a fairly even 70 mph... 42 mpg. An opposite trip the next day with a slightly less strong wind, but as a straight on tailwind, 70 to 75 mph... 62 mpg.

went for another spin on monday afternoon .
over the moors through fylingdales and to whitby .
came home the coast road and stopped at Saltburn by the sea.
and today wednesday we took our grand daughter to Redcar.
whilst the sea was out we went crabbing amongst the rocks
it was a good fun day.
DSC03067.jpgDSC03068.jpgDSC03071.jpg
DSC03072.jpgDSC03078.jpg

Had a record low gas mileage experience last week... I took a 200 mile west to east freeway run straight into a steady and strong headwind, keeping a fairly even 70 mph... 42 mpg. An opposite trip the next day with a slightly less strong wind, but as a straight on tailwind, 70 to 75 mph... 62 mpg.

A steady headwind will knock the MPG down on my bike as well. Strong headwinds equals 55 MPG with my Madstad windshield, Givi Maxia top case and Givi E22 side cases. Normal MPG with that setup is in the mid 60's.

With my new fuel pump did over 400 miles in last couple days. Rode in temps above 100F. No problems, so issue appears to be fixed. Spending a grand on a new fuel pump appears I have burned a hole in my pocket as I have a new Leo Vince carbon fiber pipe and Denali SoundBomb on the way.

Looking at all the rain

Yesterday the younger son and I went for a ride to see what some of the area looks like after all the rain we have had for the last two weeks or so.
It has been an odd summer so far in Florida with the normal rain pattern non existent. There has been El Nino like weather instead. Our house has had as much rain as some hurricanes and tropical storms have dumped, although it has been over about two weeks instead of two days. About 14-16 inches. Same results though. Lots of flooding and troubles. We had only half a day with gurgling toilets from a saturated drain field but otherwise no problems. We feel sorry for those in places lower and with poorer drainage as I was lucky to be able to plan and build our house where and how I wanted.

First are the lake out back. The grass line is the edge where we can normally walk to. This is a day after the last of the rain.
8-15 Flooding 01.jpg

8-15 Flooding 02.jpg

8-15 Flooding 03.jpg

You can normally walk to the base of the tree on the left.

8-15 Flooding 04.jpg

Fire hydrant drowning or getting a refill?

8-15 Flooding 05.jpg

8-15 Flooding 06.jpg

This neighborhood had a nice park like area with nice grass and multiple oak trees. If it does't drain soon many of these could die.

8-15 Flooding 07.jpg

8-15 Flooding 08.jpg

Hot, humid and WET. Not the best for riding but we want to ride some.

Farkle time!

Sargent seat;OEM heated grips and center stand; shinko 705's; SW Motech side racks, top rack and Kobra handguards; Altrider kickstand foot; Wolfman luggage; Hepko Becker engine guards and homemade key knob. SW Motech skid plate will install after 600 mile service. :cool:

oem heated grips.jpgwolfman bags.jpgSW Motech rear plate.jpgshinko 705.jpgKobra hand guards.jpgkey knob.jpgHepko Becker engine guard.jpgAltrider foot.jpg20150806_114930.jpg

another grand day out grommit!
we went over to Alston which is a canny run 62 miles to get there .
it took us nearly 2 hours of steady riding.
the weather was fairly warm around 68f,nice a comfortable a little chilly higher up but only for a short while.
stopped for tea and a flap jack and after we rode home
DSC03080.jpgDSC03081.jpg
we stopped at Barnard castle to stretch our legs and took a picture just for you lads!
DSC03082.jpg

average speed was between 50 to 60 mph.
petrol worked out at 77.33 mpg and that is riding two up.

Moved my phone holder from my bicycle to the NC, on our last ride a guy on a new HD kept dropping way back. When we got to the restaurant I asked if he was having trouble. I was doing 71 - 73 on a 70 mph highway and getting passed by cars still, he said his speedometer was reading 80 and he didn't want to ride that fast. I installed a GPS app on my phone and took it for a run this morning, GPS shows I'm actually 1 - 2 mph slower than what the speedometer reads.
Good to know Honda makes accurate instruments. :cool:

Finally finished with the 24000 mile service. Valve adjust.(1 of the 8 adjusted but it was actually in spec but slightly looser than the other 7.) Changed out coolant. Changed brake fluid. Changed oil and filter, and finally cleaned and re-oiled the K&N air filter. This was not all done the same day,but over 5 days; working on it as the weather and my ambition dictated. Finally done though. Now I can finally get back to some serious riding.
Considering the valve adjustment, it occurs to me that I have never actually found a valve out of spec , but since the thing is apart I have adjusted them all to the "same " drag on the feeler gauge as near as I am able.
Fact is getting at the blasted air filter is the worst of the jobs.

Received my first box of stuff from Pro Caliber yesterday. Ordered OEM oil filters and drain plug washers for the first 3 oil changes. Also ordered the Honda center stand and the Honda bike cover. Haven't taken the center stand out of the box, but test fit the cover last night. I'm really impressed with the fit and the overall quality of the cover.

My package of Givi bags and mounting brackets is on its way from Italy. FedEx says it'll arrive next Wednesday.

Had a couple of extra keys cut earlier this week. Ordered and received a Goldwing radio knob for the frunk key mod. Haven't had time to actually fabricate the key, but it shouldn't be a big deal. I work with composite structures for airplanes as a hobby so I've got several different flavors of epoxy resin sitting on my workbench at the shop.

Really enjoyed my first week of NC700 ownership...

The serious farkeling will have to wait until the winter months. I don't want to take my bike out of service while the weather is still so favorable for riding. I'm working on my home garage right now... Paint, lighting, workbench, shelves, epoxy floors, and a 45,000btu natural gas heater! Should be farkel-central this winter!

Last edited:
Received my first box of stuff from Pro Caliber yesterday. Ordered OEM oil filters and drain plug washers for the first 3 oil changes. Also ordered the Honda center stand and the Honda bike cover. Haven't taken the center stand out of the box, but test fit the cover last night. I'm really impressed with the fit and the overall quality of the cover.

My package of Givi bags and mounting brackets is on its way from Italy. FedEx says it'll arrive next Wednesday.

Had a couple of extra keys cut earlier this week. Ordered and received a Goldwing radio knob for the frunk key mod. Haven't had time to actually fabricate the key, but it shouldn't be a big deal. I work with composite structures for airplanes as a hobby so I've got several different flavors of epoxy resin sitting on my workbench at the shop.

Really enjoyed my first week of NC700 ownership...

The serious farkeling will have to wait until the winter months. I don't want to take my bike out of service while the weather is still so favorable for riding. I'm working on my home garage right now... Paint, lighting, workbench, shelves, epoxy floors, and a 45,000btu natural gas heater! Should be farkel-central this winter!

Wow, it sure sounds like you have done your homework and scoped out the goodies! :cool:

If you ever delve into wee composite farkle projects for your NC, keep us in mind to share how you would do it, or what materials, and so on.

Like an idea for a frame tube or exhaust pipe guard/cover, or a dash panel shelf, etc., etc.

I have lots of vague ideas to make up some of those things for my bike as I have other bikes in the past, but having someone who has a specific interest in the hobby can always point out new stuff, or come up with neat recommendations others might not think of. :)

Wow, it sure sounds like you have done your homework and scoped out the goodies! :cool:

If you ever delve into wee composite farkle projects for your NC, keep us in mind to share how you would do it, or what materials, and so on.

Like an idea for a frame tube or exhaust pipe guard/cover, or a dash panel shelf, etc., etc.

I have lots of vague ideas to make up some of those things for my bike as I have other bikes in the past, but having someone who has a specific interest in the hobby can always point out new stuff, or come up with neat recommendations others might not think of. :)

I messed with a fiberglass pod for my Vstrom, but ended up scrapping it. The concept was to add a pod above the normal dash/glareshield that would house a back-mounted GPS as well as an outside air temperature gauge. I'll post up a few pictures sometime when I'm not posting from my iPad.

On the winter project list for my NC are:

1. Eastern Beaver PC8 fusebox. Provides 5 switched and 3 unswitched 12 volt fused leads. Uses relays to keep from burning up any existing switches. My goal would be to hide it, but keep it accessible enough for easy connection of new farkles.

2. Additional brake and turn signal lighting in my Givi topcase. In general, I think motorcycles are woefully under-illuminated from the rear. Everyone goes to great lengths to install 100k candela in front and then drives around with the functional equivalent of a Rayovac flashlight in the rear. I'm more concerned about being run over from behind at a stop light or in a turn by some inattentive texting teenager than I am about a left hand turn in front of me from head-on.

3. LED lighting for the inside of my Frunk, topcase, and side bags. I hate fumbling around in dark parking lots mistaking my rain suit for the bike cover. Both are handy to have, but are hardly interchangeable.

4. An obnoxiously-loud horn. I'm sure it's very un-Christian of me, but I take great satisfaction in scaring the peewaddle out of people who pull out in front of me or otherwise do their best to shorten my riding career. I had a Strebel air horn on the Vstrom, but it was only 119db. I think I can do better!

5. A mount and charging system for my phone. Serves 2 purposes: 1. Google maps for a GPS; and 2. Allows me to view the Caller ID for incoming calls. I've got a Schuberth C3 helmet with the communications system built in. I can answer calls with no problems, but there are sometimes certain callers I'd prefer to avoid. :-/

6. Garage Door remote button. I usually open up a key FOB sized garage door remote and solder leads to the push button circuit. I then install a very small momentary contact switch somewhere near the handlebar controls. Push the button and the door opens. In the past, I just Velcro the actual remote unit somewhere out of sight and out of the weather. Still need to be able to get to the remote to change out the battery every decade or so... Could hardwire the power, but it's just not worth the hassle of dropping the voltage to an appropriate level when the batteries last so long anyway. I did this on my Vstrom. Will post pics later.

That should be enough to keep me busy when the snow's flying this winter... I'd probably get the shakes or something if I didn't have dozens of projects going at once!

Last edited:
Not on my NC but in my truck hauling some things to my son's place I was traveling west on I-20 towards Atlanta. Lots of bikes headed in opposite direction mostly in small groups making me wonder what bike event was about to happen behind me. Turned north on I-75 towards Chattanooga and still bikes passing in opposite direction. Stopped for gas I talked to a couple of Harley riders headed to Key West where they are stationed in the Navy. Learned it wasn't an event about to happen behind me but one that had finished in front of me. They were headed back from Sturgis. One of these days I will make it there. Got back in my truck and day dreamed ... maybe next year.

I rode an 8 hour loop yesterday in north central Wisconsin with the goal of riding mostly under 50 mph with a full tank of premium no-ethanol fuel. Last week, when riding 200 miles to a conference at 70 mph into a very lively headwind produced 42 mpg.
Yesterday's pokey ride (with light breezes) kept all the bars on the fuel gauge until 75 miles and the 2nd bar didn't disappear until 133 miles.
0edbe8451629a03297fc91c727462b0b.jpg

I finally stopped to refuel at 221 miles and couldn't quite put in 3 gallons (premium again.) 75.2 mpg!
After the fill I did the next 60 miles home at freeway speed... 70 mph... the first bar on the gauge blinked out at 60 miles. I got exactly 1 gallon back into the tank.
Hmmm... riding habits and winds impact mileage??
I felt as though using premium fuel made the engine run better but I think my imagination was just having some fun... I certainly was with my ride. Some sights...
47e59fde76da44229cae93c9ae0f72e3.jpg

Must... resist... seeing where this goes...
309529b6d2ac9fdcafc7a78ab8bcd6ed.jpg

I had to turn around for a couple shots of this...
421ddb5ef9ab270805a2bad818dcbcba.jpg

d5cb4f8f8c1dd37ef776e2ae33ee4f85.jpg

The Wolf River...
54e0d9dd99d810a641c351b58a7dbb57.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1439012227980.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439012227980.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 305
42!? The worst mileage I ever got was 57, with all cases loaded plus the back seat loaded with camping gear, riding highway at almost 80 mph. You sure you didn't forget to shift into top gear?

I rode an 8 hour loop yesterday in north central Wisconsin with the goal of riding mostly under 50 mph with a full tank of premium no-ethanol fuel. Last week, when riding 200 miles to a conference at 70 mph into a very lively headwind produced 42 mpg.
Yesterday's pokey ride (with light breezes) kept all the bars on the fuel gauge until 75 miles and the 2nd bar didn't disappear until 133 miles.

I finally stopped to refuel at 221 miles and couldn't quite put in 3 gallons (premium again.) 75.2 mpg!
After the fill I did the next 60 miles home at freeway speed... 70 mph... the first bar on the gauge blinked out at 60 miles. I got exactly 1 gallon back into the tank.
Hmmm... riding habits and winds impact mileage??
I felt as though using premium fuel made the engine run better but I think my imagination was just having some fun... I certainly was with my ride. Some sights...

Must... resist... seeing where this goes...

I had to turn around for a couple shots of this...

The Wolf River...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My DCT's MPG is very sensitive to headwinds. With the bike loaded with the three cases I have into a stiff wind will knock MPG down to 55 or so. Have you posted any pics of your back rest install?

25615d1438984195-2015-what-did-you-do-your-nc700-today-img_2515-jpg

my they are expensive @ £150($226) for a piece of tubing.
they should be around £90 even then thats not cheap.
don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the idea its a good idea but a big company like heppy & co can do it a lot cheaper but choose to rip folks off.
if theres enough interest I might start making them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back