• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which motor oil do you suggest?

It's funny! On every motorcycle forum, the oil thread is the longest :)

I am going to do my part. I used Rotella T6 in my Nighthawk, the cam chain was making alot of noise during hot days and I switched to Mobile1 15W50(for cars). Now the bike is so smooth and quite.

I am going to do my part. I used Rotella T6 in my Nighthawk, the cam chain was making alot of noise during hot days and I switched to Mobile1 15W50(for cars). Now the bike is so smooth and quite.

This is the NC700X forum. 50 weight oil is not approved for the NC700X. Neither is Car oil with fuel saving additives. I doubt it is for a nighthawk either.

The brand of oil you use is not as important, as the fact that No motorcycle oil for "everyday street use" should contain "molly". ......

A Honda engineer went to great lengths explaining to me what that blue stuff is on the slippery clutches is! That's "molly". Yes synthetic molly is better oil that GN, you'll be a hair faster and the engine will last a little longer , but at a clutch cost.

Always use molly oils in your automobile. Autos have a dry clutch, but motorcycles have wet clutches.

I'm confused or I'm just lucky as I've been using M1 15-50 (20k) or Rottela 20-40 synthetic (last 80k) for 10 years (102873 miles) in my GL1800 with no clutch problems, well so far. Do I need to be looking for a clutch kit? I re-read the new T6 bottle and nothing on molly or my old eyes and mind just not focusing? Tell me where to look for clarification. I'm not disagreeing nor challenging just looking for the best way. I plan to ride the 700X for similar time and miles and hopefully with similar reliability. Still plan to ride GL1800 for the high speed slab must or rainy days.

I'm confused or I'm just lucky as I've been using M1 15-50 (20k) or Rottela 20-40 synthetic (last 80k) for 10 years (102873 miles) in my GL1800 with no clutch problems, well so far. Do I need to be looking for a clutch kit? I re-read the new T6 bottle and nothing on molly or my old eyes and mind just not focusing? Tell me where to look for clarification. I'm not disagreeing nor challenging just looking for the best way. I plan to ride the 700X for similar time and miles and hopefully with similar reliability. Still plan to ride GL1800 for the high speed slab must or rainy days.
Meaningful levels of "moly" are not present in oils that do not have "Energy Conserving" or "Resource Conserving" on the bottle label. Moly is the nickname for Molyndenum which is a chemical element that is part of the additive package of friction modifiers that make an oil more slippery so it might cause a wet clutch to slip. Avoid use of oils that have this marking - just look on the bottle labeling.

Instead, look for the marking "JASO MA". This marking means the oil is certified for use with wet clutches.

Generally, oils that have a base viscosity of 10 weight or higher (10w40, 15w50, 20w50, etc.) are not labeled Energy Conserving/Resource Conserving and do not have a moly level high enough to cause concern. 0w or 5w base weight oils (0w20, 5w20, 5w30) are likely to be Energy Conserving and deserve a closer look for moly or friction modifier levels that might cause a wet clutch to slip. Slippage depends on the clutch design, clutch wear, and other factors. It might not slip at all.

Rotella 5w40 synthetic is labeled JASO MA so even though the base viscosity might cause concern, Shell had the oil certified to meet JASO MA standards for wet clutch use thus it now carries the JASO MA markings. Previous formulas of Rotella 5w40 manufactured in the past were not labeled JASO MA but many many riders, myself included, used this oil in wet clutch motorcycles with no slippage. Now it is plainly labeled with the MA rating. This brochure is several years old but it does clearly show the API Starburst labeling and API Service Rating doughnut and what it means:

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/categories/upload/motor_oil_guide_2010_120210.pdf

Excellent post, Dave.
I look forward to posts like that where I get to learn something from an experienced mechanic.
Thanks for doing that.

I stumbled across this link to a list of JASO MA classified oils. The list is only a partial list because it only includes oils compliant with the Japan SAE. From what I've read on the subject, I'm guessing the cost of filing for the certification is expensive and although many more oils meet the requirements of JASO MA, they can't display the doughnut symbol that implies as such. http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

You Rang! Remember all us Texans stepped over the line at the Alamo! If Davy Crocket only had a NC700X. Tennessee can go to hell, I'm going to Texas.5.jpg

SmileyTwoThumbsWink.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Just out of curiousity I emailed Shell to ask if the Rotella T-5 10W30 was ok for use in motorcycles as it does not have the Jaso-Ma certification, here is their reply:

Both Rotella T 15W-40 and Rotella T6 5W-40 have been tested and performance falls within the JASO MA (MA2 sub category). Rotella T5 has not been tested, but should also do as well

Then I got another email that said this: Rotella oils are not normally recommended for use with catalytic converters. Please consult your Honda owner's manual for the required oil specifications. Rotella T5 is an API SM / CJ-4 rated oil.

Last edited:
I'll just stay with what Honda recommends, Honda GN4. This way I don't have any questions to worry about. I know I got it right.9.jpg

SmileyHappyOneThumbUp.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I know how much everyone believes in their own personal choice, but seriously folks, if you don't use what I use, you are risking this happening to your motorcycle...

[video=youtube;q0DsM4OmKkk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0DsM4OmKkk[/video]

I know how much everyone believes in their own personal choice, but seriously folks, if you don't use what I use, you are risking this happening to your motorcycle...

wow!!! I just learnt my lesson! :D

If you'll excuse me I need to go change my oil!!!!

Oil and filter? Autozone?

Need to do my 600 mile oil change ASAP. Can I get oil and a filter from my local autozone? What part numbers should I look for? And what weight oil and how many quarts? Can I use marvel mystery oil in the bike like I do with my truck?

-Jessr

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/363-oil-filter-size.html

Check that thread for available oil filters.

As far as the Marvel mystery oil. I wouldn't do it. The NC700 has a wet clutch and I wouldn't go adding a friction modifier like that mystery oil. Rotella has worked awesome for me in both of my other bikes. Still have Honda oil in my NC700 since it only has a couple hundred miles on it right now since I traded for it a couple days before taking off for work in ND.

Back