• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fork seals and bushing replacement

Following up on my fork seal issue. Some spare time, bad weather and your much appreciated support helped in my decision to do the job myself.
So, fork tubes disassembly done. Some observations:
  • There was a slight water ingress into the left fork tube (non-brake side). The one who was leaking oil.
  • The slider bushings at the bottom of the fork tubes (item #8 shown in post 1) looks like new as you can see on pic A and B (flip side).
  • One of the guide bushing (item #7 shown in post 1) seems to be slightly worn on the outside on pic C and D (flip side). This part is supposed to wear inside as mentioned by Dave. The inside part looks like new.
Now, I’m thinking; should I replace all 4 bushings or not. I could save 45$ on a total bill of 185$ (oil seals, dust caps, bushings and oil). What do you think?

Attachments

• 20230918_Bushings_3858.jpg
    20230918_Bushings_3858.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230918_Bushings_3859.jpg
    20230918_Bushings_3859.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230918_Bushings_3860.jpg
    20230918_Bushings_3860.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230918_Bushings_3861.jpg
    20230918_Bushings_3861.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: MZ5
The 'slick' coating material looks nearly un-touched, which suggests to not bother replacing them. The wear you point out is something I saw, too (though to a greater extent on mine), and I chose to replace the bushings. I didn't have the option to not return the parts I'd already bought, though. Do I think I 'needed' to? Judging by the coated surfaces, likely not. Based on where I saw actual wear, I thought it was not a bad idea.

I kinda doubt either choice would be a 'bad' idea, based on what I can see in the pics.

With your help/advice, I finally did the job myself. Had some challenges but it all came up good. All bushings were in excellent condition so I got the new ones back to the Honda dealer. In the left fork post (the one leaking) I noticed water ingress as I mentioned before. The oil in that post was really contaminated and black compared to the other post where it was grey; at the end of normal braking, I often felt a jerky compression movement of the fork. After few short rides, no leak at all, no more jerky compression and I have a better feeling with the front suspension. Again, thanks to you guys.

Back