• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What initial gear to buy?

I love my Aerostitch one piece for commuting. Life changing.

Every pair of Sidis i've tried is way wide on my average feet, and they make some wide models, to which they append "mega" to the name.

Looking for more input.

So with your advice and some more researching the following is a refined list of initial gear.

1. FirstGear Kenya Jacket $240

2. Rev'it Enterprise pants $190

3. Sidi Way Mega Rain boot $225

4. SW-MOTECH crash bars $230

5. MSR Xpedition dual sport helmet $130

I will hold off on the foot pegs, luggage, other stuff tell I get some time on the bike.

Thank you again for your input and advice. I will be looking into the skip plate. I will be contacting Hondabikepro soon for info and pictures. If anyone has experience with that plate and or pictures I would appreciate it.

For me, the following items were essential:

Essential - Obvious items on rider:

- Quality helmet.
- Quality earplugs.
- Motorcycle riding jacket.
- Motorcycle gloves (2 pairs: warm weather, cold weather).
- Either motorcycle boots, or hiking boots (which cover ankles).

Essential - Items to stow in trunk:

- Rain gear (gortex jacket, pants, gloves) fits over riding jacket.
- Disk lock.
- Head lamp.
- Multi tool.
- Additional tools to supplement Honda kit.
- Tire repair kit (tire plugs, collapsing pump, CO2 cartridge pump)
- Tire pressure gauage
- Thermometer (to alert me when temperature falls below 4 oC).
- Small towel (cleans wet seat after rain)
- Cargo net with straps (unexpected purchases)
- Backpack that collapses to micro size.

Non essential items, to suit my preferences:

- Taller windscreen
- Highway pegs
- Tailbag luggage
- Tankbag luggage
- Throttle rocker
- Front shock protector
- Fender extenders
- Seat cushion
- Alarm

Last edited:
You can look here for Hondabikepro skidplate and you can also make a little search on the forum for comments (I've seen only positives) I can't comment as I have the Hepko Becker skidplate. Enjoy your new toy !

I have the HondaBikePro skidplate. It is a tank. has great side case coverage with the wings. A unique aspect of it is a beaver tail that goes under the rear suspension links.

WP_20140719_008.jpg

As someone mentioned before, definitely include a tire repair kit. I've had two flat tires on the highway; one out in the middle of nowhere with no phone service. My entire day would have been ruined if I didn't have the tire repair kit. I prefer using the gummy worm patch, although there are other different patch types out there. I've never had a gummy worm patch fail on me, (although, I've known a few people who used them, and they leaked a little bit. Still they were able to make it home.)

Sena SMH10, Rocketmoto, if you are an inmate at ADVrider go to vendors and get the discount. I just bought a Dual set. Good price from good people.

What size luggage? I like to go as large as I can but I think the 46 liter might be to big for the bike.

Thanks

I have a pair of 33l boxes and a 52 on the trunk.
I was worried the 46l cases would end up making the bike wider than the handle bars, and it's pretty close with the 33L boxes already.

and 33+33+52+21 (frunk) = 139l. My dads goldwing has 140 (+7 because he doesn't have the CD changer) according to the internet.
And most of my storage can be disconnected from the bike and carried in suitcase style to a hotel, or campsite... his is stuck on the bike.

I did an overnight camping trip (I even brought my hiking stove, and mess kit, though I didn't end up cooking) I used up one 33l box for camping stuff (kitchen, stove, bear mace, bug spray, etc.) one box for riding gear/first aid kit/tools/most of the tent and the top box only had a sleeping bag and tent poles (didn't fit in the panniers) in it.

I travel light when I'm camping, so your mileage will likely vary (though this time I did bring both a tent/sleeping pad and a hammock, and never used the tent & sleeping pad.) I'm used to wandering off in the woods with a backpack (My current one is 80L) So everything fitting into one pannier and the top box (85L) with room to spare and riding gear in the other pannier, frunk left open for items acquired along the way (local micro-brew), or helmet when stopping, doesn't seem at all bizarre to me.

On pannier always holds my riding gear that I'm not wearing at the time, and a first aid kit, and a tool pouch (need to get a tire patch kit and pump in there too haven't gotten around to finding one I like yet) doesn't matter if I'm camping or not.

Back