• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Please Help Me Decide What Motorcycle to Buy.

Shahram

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello:
I am in desperate need of advice and guidance and I will be grateful to anyone of you who is willing to guide me.
My daughter got her driver's license and started college two months ago. I couldn't financially buy her a car, so I gave her my own car keys, and ever since I have been taking the bus to work and back. While bussing has been an experience, it is not sustainable because it adds to my commuting time by 3 hours! I am not in a position to buy myself a new car right now, and I don't want to buy a second-hand car. Instead, I thought I buy a new motorcycle because I can afford it and I felt like I could bike to work and to grocery stores for a couple of years until I buy a new car.
I have done a lot of research on motorcycles over the past two months and I narrowed down my options to Rebel 500, Rebel 1100 DCT, or NC750X DCT.
I decided against the Rebel 500 because it does not have a DCT. Also, it may not be as comfortable a ride on the freeways as the other two.
I am not sure about the Rebel 1100 DCT because I hear that it is not suitable for a beginner like me who has no prior experience in motorcycling. It has too much power.
I visited an Artificial Intelligence (AI) website called "Chatgpt" and I asked it what was the best touring motorcycle with DCT features for a beginner motorcyclist and it suggested the Honda NC750X DCT. Basically, the AI website revealed to me that the NC750X is the best all-around workhorse for a beginner. Further research on this bike only confirmed the findings of the AI website, namely that the NC750X is indeed a hidden gem about which very few people know.
I am a 59-year-old male, I weigh 130 lb. My workplace is 3 miles away from my house. I work in an office (an attorney) and I need to be in business suits. I will be visiting my daughter who lives 130 miles from me once a week and I need to ride on highways and freeways.
Please help me decide: would you buy the Rebel 1100 DCL or the NC750X DCL if you were in my shoes?
I am grateful to you.
Shahram

If short distance commuting with an automatic transmission is your goal, I’d recommend a scooter instead of a motorcycle. The highway aspect would require a scooter of at least 250cc, preferably 400cc. A new Rebel 1100 is way overkill, and the price of a new one I suspect would be unjustifiable given the financial framework I think you descibed.

The NC750X is indeed a good all purpose motorcycle, but for most people, adapting it for serious touring requires considerable expense for accessories and ad-ons.

Be aware that compared to automobiles, motorcycles are more costly to maintain per mile. Tires are short lived and can cost as much over time as the fuel. If you are unable to service the motorcycle yourself, relying on a dealer or shop for service will cause further financial drain.

Last edited:
I agree with the Scooter suggestion from 670cc. As a commuter with a 40Km round trip prior to retirement I used two different scooters to good affect over a period of over ten years. Using a large motor (750 or more) for a 3 mile commute is total overkill. The motor won't even be up to temperature by the time You get there. Also DCT is not as good as variable belt drive in very slow moving traffic where I find the constant changing twixt the bottom gears a nuisance. The variable belt drive by comparison is smooth and linear. Scooters also have very good protection in poor weather. I used mine all year round.
There are some nice modern 300cc scooters out there that possess surprising performance and should be competent on major roads . Obviously a 400 would be better. Have a look around and see.

Thank you very much.
I am going to look at my options for 250 to 400 cc scooters. I also didn't realize that motorcycles cost more in terms of maintenance per mile than cars. But, yes, I will have to get on the freeways once a week because my daughter lives 150 miles away from me and I need to visit her on the weekends.
I am grateful to you for your guidance.

If short distance commuting with an automatic transmission is your goal, I’d recommend a scooter instead of a motorcycle. The highway aspect would require a scooter of at least 250cc, preferably 400cc. A new Rebel 1100 is way overkill, and the price of a new one I suspect would be unjustifiable given the financial framework I think you descibed.

The NC750X is indeed a good all purpose motorcycle, but for most people, adapting it for serious touring requires considerable expense for accessories and ad-ons.

Be aware that compared to automobiles, motorcycles are more costly to maintain per mile. Tires are short lived and can cost as much over time as the fuel. If you are unable to service the motorcycle yourself, relying on a dealer or shop for service will cause further financial drain.
Thank you.
The message I posted below was in reply to you but I forgot to post it under the "reply button".

I agree with the Scooter suggestion from 670cc. As a commuter with a 40Km round trip prior to retirement I used two different scooters to good affect over a period of over ten years. Using a large motor (750 or more) for a 3 mile commute is total overkill. The motor won't even be up to temperature by the time You get there. Also DCT is not as good as variable belt drive in very slow moving traffic where I find the constant changing twixt the bottom gears a nuisance. The variable belt drive by comparison is smooth and linear. Scooters also have very good protection in poor weather. I used mine all year round.
There are some nice modern 300cc scooters out there that possess surprising performance and should be competent on major roads . Obviously a 400 would be better. Have a look around and see.
Thank you Griff very much.
I am going to check out scooters. Even though my work commute is only 3 miles, I would have to get on the freeway and commute 130 miles each way to visit my daughter once a week too. So, I am going to see what would be a good scooter for freeways.
I am grateful to you for your advice.

For me, I would go with the NC if they were the only three choices. I am 100% in agreement with @Griff and @670cc in that a scooter may be a better choice.

We have had a few in the house; a Genuine Buddy 50, two Kymco Like 150i (one still here but not ridden), and an Xmax 300 (I ride this every day). I am currently looking at a Kymco AK550 and a BMW C400GT. The Xmax is a wonderful machine, very well engineered, will hold a few bags of groceries, is incredibly fuel efficient and has been reliable for the two years of nearly daily riding. I had initially scratched the C400GT off my list because it really does not perform significantly better than my Xmax. I may go back on that as it is more comfortable with much more leg room than the Xmax. However, the C400GT does not have as much storage as the Xmax while offering better protection from the elements. The AK is a heck of a machine, in a scooter format, but does not have the unsprung weight of traditional scooter set ups. It has a lot of storage, cruise control on the latest model, great weather protection from what I understand, Brembo brakes, just about the same HP as the NC750, low center of gravity, a traditional belt drive (similar to Harley and different than many scooters) and can go on any paved or hard pack road that the NC can. Kymco makes a very good bike; however if there is a problem, their parts network is notoriously slow. Aanyhow, sorry for going on about scooters but I have really been into them lately. They are really practical, versatile, and a lot of fun.

I have a spreadsheet comparing 4 current models I may be able to attach.

upload_2022-12-11_20-27-49-png.4403569

Last edited:
Let me play devil's advocate for a minute. There are plenty of times riding a motorcycle/scooter is not pleasant...cold, rainy dark, windy, buggy, early morning, late evening, and you talk about a couple of years of that? Picking up groceries on a bike means you can carry very little at one time. Tires on a MC/scooter might go 10,000 miles, same for front and rear brakes, brake/radiator fluid changes are recommended every 2 years and oil changes every 5,000 miles or so, air cleaners, valve adjustments etc are needed often when compared to a car, and a set of chain and sprockets might go 25,000 miles. If you are not a mechanic upkeep is very pricy on a motorcycle because shop mechanics are getting over $100 per hour these days. Plus, what do you do on the multiple days your bike is laid up in the shop? On top of that you'll need protective gear, helmet, jacket, boots and gloves at a minimum. Figure on $750 for that if you buy middle of the road gear. Riding a motorcycle/scooter is also dangerous, particularly for the inexperienced, at least a lot more dangerous than driving a car. Riding a motorcycle full time might sound romantic, but the realities can be rather demoralizing when you have no other choice. Temperatures in the 50's can drain your energy and so can temps above 90. You get up one morning and it's POURING rain, and you know to get to work, you have to go out and climb on the saddle and put up with cold, dripping wet and low visibility, a lack of traction, splash from cars and trucks and that when you get to work you are going to be dripping wet.

I didn't own a car for 2 years at one spell, and that was when I was in my 20's, young and tough, and it about ruined riding for me. Since you have a kid in college you are no longer a pup. It's one thing to WANT to ride a motorcycle every day, but quite another to HAVE to ride a motorcycle every day.

However, given that a motorcycle is what you are asking advice on, I agree with 670 and in your situation would look for a used 400/650 Suzuki Burgman scooter. Of the two motorcycles you inquired about, I'd choose the NC 750X. Just make SURE that is what you really want to do.

Last edited:
I commute on my NC750 (32 miles one way) and it’s good at about everything while excelling at very little. It does get great gas mileage but even with the built in storage I need side bags to make it truly functional. So look at a scooter first and if those don’t float your boat then I think the NC would be about the best motorcycle for the situations you describe. A smaller bike would be better for your commute and a bigger one for visiting your daughter but this splits the difference and can do both.

I will say though what you’re talking about is a complete lifestyle change and if you’ve not talked to someone who’s commuted on a bike about this please do. The money saving motorcycle is a sirens song and takes extreme dedication to pull off in America or Canada. There are lots of factors to consider if you’re talking about ditching the car for a bike and many hidden costs. If you want to know more just ask. This forum has more commuters than most.

Just based on the initial three options I would buy the NC750X and a Roadcrafter 1 piece riding suit. The Roadcrafter is an piece of protective apparel you can wear over office clothes.. With a pair of dress shoes left at the office you could ride a motorcycle to work most days in South Texas.

It appears that your area has an average annual rainfall in excess of 40 inches. Both of the motorcycles you mentioned will set you back $10,000.00, if you buy a new one. You should be able to find a good used car for that price. Do yourself a favor and buy a car.

For me, I would go with the NC if they were the only three choices. I am 100% in agreement with @Griff and @670cc in that a scooter may be a better choice.

We have had a few in the house; a Genuine Buddy 50, two Kymco Like 150i (one still here but not ridden), and an Xmax 300 (I ride this every day). I am currently looking at a Kymco AK550 and a BMW C400GT. The Xmax is a wonderful machine, very well engineered, will hold a few bags of groceries, is incredibly fuel efficient and has been reliable for the two years of nearly daily riding. I had initially scratched the C400GT off my list because it really does not perform significantly better than my Xmax. I may go back on that as it is more comfortable with much more leg room than the Xmax. However, the C400GT does not have as much storage as the Xmax while offering better protection from the elements. The AK is a heck of a machine, in a scooter format, but does not have the unsprung weight of traditional scooter set ups. It has a lot of storage, cruise control on the latest model, great weather protection from what I understand, Brembo brakes, just about the same HP as the NC750, low center of gravity, a traditional belt drive (similar to Harley and different than many scooters) and can go on any paved or hard pack road that the NC can. Kymco makes a very good bike; however if there is a problem, their parts network is notoriously slow. Aanyhow, sorry for going on about scooters but I have really been into them lately. They are really practical, versatile, and a lot of fun.

I have a spreadsheet comparing 4 current models I may be able to attach.

upload_2022-12-11_20-27-49-png.4403569
Wow mzflorida. Thank you so very much for your impressive and comprehensive review of scooters. You must be an expert whose advice, in my view, carries a lot of weight.
I am very much impressed by your assessment of the 2022 AK 550i Kymco. I went online and checked for the availability of this scooter in my area. (I live in Galveston, TX). There is a dealer about 90 miles from me in Houston who is selling a 2023 AK550i ABS Base at $10,399.00. He also has a 2022 X-Town 300i ABS Base selling for $4,999.00. Now, the AK550i is priced at almost the same as it costs to buy a 2023 Honda NC750X DCT, and I am not sure if it would be wise for me to buy the AK550i when I can get the Honda NC for the same price. What do you think? However, the 2023 KYMCO X-Town 330i ABS at $4,999.00 has a lot of appeal to me. But I am not sure if the X-Town 330i will be a safe ride if I take it on the highway and ride 130 miles to visit my daughter once a week and then ride back another 130 miles home. People on Texas highways drive almost 75 to 80 mph. What do you think? Do you think the 300i will take me on a highway ride safely for a total of 260 miles every week? Thank you, and I am very grateful to you for your illuminating/educational reply.

Let me play devil's advocate for a minute. There are plenty of times riding a motorcycle/scooter is not pleasant...cold, rainy dark, windy, buggy, early morning, late evening, and you talk about a couple of years of that? Picking up groceries on a bike means you can carry very little at one time. Tires on a MC/scooter might go 10,000 miles, same for front and rear brakes, brake/radiator fluid changes are recommended every 2 years and oil changes every 5,000 miles or so, air cleaners, valve adjustments etc are needed often when compared to a car, and a set of chain and sprockets might go 25,000 miles. If you are not a mechanic upkeep is very pricy on a motorcycle because shop mechanics are getting over $100 per hour these days. Plus, what do you do on the multiple days your bike is laid up in the shop? On top of that you'll need protective gear, helmet, jacket, boots and gloves at a minimum. Figure on $750 for that if you buy middle of the road gear. Riding a motorcycle/scooter is also dangerous, particularly for the inexperienced, at least a lot more dangerous than driving a car. Riding a motorcycle full time might sound romantic, but the realities can be rather demoralizing when you have no other choice. Temperatures in the 50's can drain your energy and so can temps above 90. You get up one morning and it's POURING rain, and you know to get to work, you have to go out and climb on the saddle and put up with cold, dripping wet and low visibility, a lack of traction, splash from cars and trucks and that when you get to work you are going to be dripping wet.

I didn't own a car for 2 years at one spell, and that was when I was in my 20's, young and tough, and it about ruined riding for me. Since you have a kid in college you are no longer a pup. It's one thing to WANT to ride a motorcycle every day, but quite another to HAVE to ride a motorcycle every day.

However, given that a motorcycle is what you are asking advice on, I agree with 670 and in your situation would look for a used 400/650 Suzuki Burgman scooter. Of the two motorcycles you inquired about, I'd choose the NC 750X. Just make SURE that is what you really want to do.
Wow, Forrest! Thank you and I am grateful to you for your considered frank, and honest advice. I am a single dad whose daughter went off to college and had to give his car keys to his daughter. She now lives 130 miles away from me and I have no mode of transportation. I have been taking the bus around town and I cannot keep up with bussing. I am 59 years old, and I just got my attorney license. I am looking to get an attorney job that would help me with my current low-paid job. However, I do have $8000 cash in the bank that I have been saving over the past decade, and now I have to use it to get a mode of transportation to not only get to work but also to go 130 miles each way to see my daughter. I cannot buy a second-hand car because the cheapest ones I can find are about $12,000 and they have 150,000 miles on them. I fear that if I buy one such car, the red-engine light will go on after a couple of weeks and God knows what that may cost to fix. I thought if I use my $8000 and buy a new motorcycle, I might be cutting costs for the next few years until I get a better-paying job. You raised a number of issues that I wasn't aware of, like getting splashed on rainy days. However, I have been struggling all my life and I think I can put up with more struggle for the next few years too. With regard to scooters, I am not sure yet if I can show up at an attorney office job riding a scooter, although I am prepared to swallow my pride and do it. I am checking out scooters now, but a good scooter I can take on the highway costs as much as $6K to $8K, and at that cost, I think I might just buy the Honda NC750X because it looks more professional. I am, however, grateful to you for your suggestions and advice.

I commute on my NC750 (32 miles one way) and it’s good at about everything while excelling at very little. It does get great gas mileage but even with the built in storage I need side bags to make it truly functional. So look at a scooter first and if those don’t float your boat then I think the NC would be about the best motorcycle for the situations you describe. A smaller bike would be better for your commute and a bigger one for visiting your daughter but this splits the difference and can do both.

I will say though what you’re talking about is a complete lifestyle change and if you’ve not talked to someone who’s commuted on a bike about this please do. The money saving motorcycle is a sirens song and takes extreme dedication to pull off in America or Canada. There are lots of factors to consider if you’re talking about ditching the car for a bike and many hidden costs. If you want to know more just ask. This forum has more commuters than most.
Thank you for your reply. I am glad to know that your NC750 provides you with a comfortable ride on your 32 miles daily ride. I am leaning more towards the NC750 too rather than a high-powered scooter because I need to ride 130 miles each way to visit my daughter once a week and a high-powered scooter costs almost the same as the NC750. You made me realize that riding a motorcycle will mean a change in my lifestyle, and that is something I am not looking forward to. However, given my personal situation, I have no choice but to go through a change of lifestyle. Thank you for your reply. You guys here on this forum are my friends.

Bite the bullet and buy a used car. Your requirement for a new car or nothing makes no sense to me. :rolleyes:
Thank you 750DCT. I have been checking out used cars and they cost about $12,000 and often they have 150,000 miles on them. I only have $8000 in my savings and I fear that if I buy a used car, the red-engine light will soon turn on and I am not sure where I will be getting the cash to fix that. I am grateful to you for your reply.

It appears that your area has an average annual rainfall in excess of 40 inches. Both of the motorcycles you mentioned will set you back $10,000.00, if you buy a new one. You should be able to find a good used car for that price. Do yourself a favor and buy a car.
Thank you 762x54. I am going to research more on used cars. I am grateful to you.

Just based on the initial three options I would buy the NC750X and a Roadcrafter 1 piece riding suit. The Roadcrafter is an piece of protective apparel you can wear over office clothes.. With a pair of dress shoes left at the office you could ride a motorcycle to work most days in South Texas.
Thank you dduelin. The Roadcrafter 1 piece is exactly what I needed to learn about. It is offered by Aerostich. I just checked out their website and I submitted my measurements to them. I can easily put the Roadcrafter over my office suit and not worry about getting changed. Thank you for your recommendation. They are very pricy though, but I am sure well worth it.

Back