• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I know it's not much to go on... but you folks know things.

Lomunchi

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My NC750's been giving me a 'clunking' noise that doesn't' sound too dissimilar to the shifting, though the transition is shifting smoothly. It comes on during initial acceleration. The bike is running just fine but the clunking is getting more persistent. It sounds like it's coming from near the front of the engine area, below the storage area. It's arrhythmic and can actually sound like something bouncing off of something else. Everything seems tight on inspection. No sound with deceleration. Again, the bike's riding great. about 12k miles on it, always maintained.
At first when I was looking for it I noticed the chain was loose and thought it might be hitting the guard. I tightened the chain and no change.

I'll chase almost any wild hares so bring 'em on!

I noticed this at around the 8k mark on my manual 2019.

When I was completely stopped and would start to release the clutch and accelerate I would hear what seemed to be an internal noise like a deep rattle. This was more pronounced under heavy acceleration or when carrying a passenger.

I replaced my chain and sprockets and the noise instantly went away.

I believe it is connected to a stretched chain and worn sprocket.

Just my guess.

Last edited:
Try chain and sprockets , my NC700X DCT was really loud and thought it was having clutch issues , but shifted fine. I changed the chain and sprockets and the noise went away

I noticed this at around the 8k mark on my manual 2019.

When I was completely stopped and would start to release the clutch and accelerate I would hear what seemed to be an internal noise like a deep rattle. This was more pronounced under heavy acceleration or when carrying a passenger.

I replaced my chain and sprockets and the noise instantly went away.

I believe it is connected to a stretched chain and worn sprocket.

Just my guess.
It is like a "deep rattle". I have had to adjust the chain at least twice already and had a new tire installed where they adjusted it.
That's a few votes for chain/sprocket. I'll investigate. Thanks all!

I get about 6000 to 7000 miles out rd my front sprockets. I flip the sprocket half way through.
Looking at the front sprocket, I look for un-even shape of the front and rear of the tooth.

I had a rhythmical knocking sound on my former NC700X in the lower gears at about 15,000kms if I recall correctly. I replaced the chain and sprockets after a fruitless search for the cause. Problem solved.

The chain is usually the first noise to appear.
Research threads regarding chain adjustment. Many riders are over tightening the drive chain. This accelerates wear and increases noise.

I sit on the bike with a gloved hand, push up and down and adjust to get approximately 1" chain deflection.
That is when the chain is at its tightest. The chain loosens with wheel travel up and down.
Adjusting to 1" on the main stand is too tight. Perhaps 1-1/4" would be safer.

Boy, 6 - 7k miles out of a chain/sprocket is kind of the pits! I've not had a chain drive before so this is new to me. I had a belt drive I put 30k miles on and never had to change that!

The chain is usually the first noise to appear.
Research threads regarding chain adjustment. Many riders are over tightening the drive chain. This accelerates wear and increases noise.

I sit on the bike with a gloved hand, push up and down and adjust to get approximately 1" chain deflection.
That is when the chain is at its tightest. The chain loosens with wheel travel up and down.
Adjusting to 1" on the main stand is too tight. Perhaps 1-1/4" would be safer.
On the center stand I suggest 35 - 45mm or 1 3/8” to 1 3/4”. I check mine on the center stand.

Probably the chain causing it. Kinks in the chain. The front sprocket cover has a tab on the inside. Kinks in the chain don't go over the sprocket smoothly and hit the tab, causing a chunk noise. When I hear it, my cue for a new chain. I have replaced mine 2 times now with 65,000 miles on the bike.

My NC750's been giving me a 'clunking' noise that doesn't' sound too dissimilar to the shifting, though the transition is shifting smoothly. It comes on during initial acceleration. The bike is running just fine but the clunking is getting more persistent. It sounds like it's coming from near the front of the engine area, below the storage area. It's arrhythmic and can actually sound like something bouncing off of something else. Everything seems tight on inspection. No sound with deceleration. Again, the bike's riding great. about 12k miles on it, always maintained.
At first when I was looking for it I noticed the chain was loose and thought it might be hitting the guard. I tightened the chain and no change.

I'll chase almost any wild hares so bring 'em on!
I had a clunk near the front when accelerating and also over sharp bumps. Turned out the steering shaft was loose.

Back