• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tool bag?

The point is that after work commitments & family commitments what little spare time has to be shared between my two other passions football (soccer) and my bikes. To me every hour spent working on it is an hour that I can't be riding it. Not being a really good mechanic I would rather leave anything other than basic maintenance to those that are. Having said that I appreciate that are those that enjoy working on bikes and even some that would actually rather do that ride. Like many other hobbies that are many ways of enjoying it. none are right or wrong just different

I agree with taking care of one's bike oneself.
I also need to say "at which point of your life"....

I am in that phase of my life, where my time is precious and I leave it to the experts to do those stuff.
I ride the bike to ride.....not buy the bike to service.
I do respect (plenty) those who buy the bike to tinker with....
:D
Sigh...me got no time.

Had to laugh when I got my NC and opened the tool pouch. A screw driver and fuse puller dropped out.

Here's my NC700X Tool kit. I used the owners manual to determine what tools I would need for basic maintenance as well as wheel removal. This is built up by raiding a CruzTOOLS RoadTech M3 kit and adding a pair of CT axle removal tools and a CT 19/22 hex to remove the front axel. For rear wheel removal all that is needed is a 22 on one side and a 27 on the other. Two 22/27's would have done it, but I included the 22/32 in case someone with a larger nut were along on a with me and needed it. In the Euro Honda kit photos, I'm not seeing a front axel removal tool???

IMG_1996.jpg

What I like about the M3 kit is how stealthy the wrenches are, and yet they are top grade, not the cheap kind.

Certainly you'd want to include a few other odds and ends like a small set of vice grips, electrical tape etc... (which are included in the M3 kit).

All the tools are stocked and available at Mixed MEDIA/Sound RIDER!: Sound RIDER! Online Store. The M3 kit sells there with free shipping.

I gotta say this - Honda sure simplified what's needed to do basic service and I can appreciate that.

The Honda screw driver doesn't have enough quality to be between a so fine set of tools, give it what it deserves and get a new one!

And you're right, there is not a 16mm Allen in the European tool set

I hope you or I never have to use any of these tools at the roadside.
If you maintain a good servicing habit, then I think we reduce such stuff.
Also remember to buy some roadside assistance plan (covering all areas you ride to).
Having said that, I myself did not yet do that.
:(

Towjam, In some of the mountain highways where I live, one doesnt always recieve a cell signal.

Bert

Several solutions to that, of varying cost. When I am traveling in distant areas, I take both a Spot tracker and an Iridium satellite phone. In preparation, the motto is "two is one, and one is none." With my luck, the first thing to come along would be a hungry bear. For less remote travels, a single method is less of a risk because some helpful individual will more likely come along. Here are the choices that I know of..

Spot New SPOT International Landing Page

I have use Spot for years. I still have the old original Spot and would not trade it for the "upgraded" devices at any cost. Spot II had a bad start. It may be recovered now, I don't know. Since my Spot I has been flawless, I am not interested in finding out. The latest gadget is Spot Connect which requires a smartphone in order to operate. It adds some limited two-way communication, but has the disadvantage that if your cell phone dies, it becomes a brick. When dealing with reliability, the reliability of the system is the product of the reliabilities of the elements. So two 90% devices create an 81% reliable system if both are needed for it to function. The cell phone does not need a cell signal for Spot Connect to work, but it does need to be functioning and it's bluetooth link needs to work. What could go wrong with that? Yep. Count on it to fail when you really need it.

Spot can help in a number of ways. You can leave a bread crumb trail that loved ones and interested parties can follow. The coordinates can be transferred to Google Maps and they can get a bird's eye view of where you are stranded. Two stories from my use from my recent trip to Alaska: I was sitting in the customer lounge of a Yamaha dealership in Whitehorse, Yukon (getting an oil change) when the service manager came and said he had a telephone call for me. It was my cousin who noticed that the track had stopped and located the dealer from the Google map and called them. On the same trip I had a migraine headache in the middle of nowhere and had to just stop and cover my eyes for a few hours. My mother got so frantic she almost called the Canadian Mounties on me. Training the loved ones is important. Spot has both an emergency up-signal and a "trouble" up-signal that can be sent. My trouble signal tells my email contacts that I am broken down and need a tow service. It provides them the location but not the particulars of the problem.

InReach InReach

InReach is a new service. The biggest advantage of InReach is that it adds direct two-way communication. The disadvantages include increased cost and complexity. It also stacks the reliability of the system with two components that can break, get lost, or refuse to communicate. The touted advantage of using the Iridium satellite constellation instead of Globalstar's is a bit specious. Globalstar lost a good fraction of the voice transceiving capacity of its birds and as a result, it's satellite phone capability has been much worse than Iridium. However, the data links were unaffected by the problems. Globalstar's data capability is fine and its phone capability will come back as replacement satellites are put in service (neither fast nor cheap).

Iridium Iridium Satellite Phone Communications | Home

Iridium is the hands-down best satphone service. It is the one the US Government uses (not that they are so dang smart, but I figure they did some research). Works on every square inch of planet earth. I have the 9555 model and it has been very good. It is expensive to keep around, so I don't keep an active number. I just buy a limited time SIM card when I am going on a long remote trip.

I also agree with having both a motorcycle towing service and a medical evacuation plan. I have two of each. I did not include information on Personal Locator Beacons, because they are for life-safety use only and you would be rightly keel-hauled for calling search-and-rescue helicopters for a flat tire. I also sometimes carry a 2-meter HAM radio, but not many people are licensed for that so I won't spend much time on it. In the states, the 2-meter repeater networks combined with internet radio linking have allowed me to talk to an operator in Australia from my hand-held radio in the Georgia mountains. I wouldn't count it out after an emergency that has taken out cell service. The motto of US amateur radio is "when all else fails."

Last edited:
There are vast reaches of British Columbia where cell phones don't work, this is where I always want to go, lol.

I couldn't stand the thought of people or even family members constantly snooping on me, following every move I made, while I was trying to "get away from it all" and my dear Mum is the worst worry wart, jump to insane bizarre conclusions person on the planet.

Can't afford a Satellite phone thingy, and don't think I'd want one if I could, honestly.

Anyway, back on pseudo topic, about the only thing I consistently use and appreciate in any of my OEM bike tookits, are the sparkplug sockets! Any ones that I buy aftermarket, never seem to fit down through the damned tiny clearance spaces to take them out.

Curiously, my BMW came with the worst tool kit of any machine I've ever bought. The US NC700X tool kit is a solid gold, platinum dipped, diamond encrusted Richy Rich full awn wonder of wretched excess, compared to my F800ST's. :rolleyes:

The ST "kit" was a cheap crappy plastic handled screwdriver, and a cheap crappy plastic credit card sized key to turn the rear shock preload knob.

There are vast reaches of British Columbia where cell phones don't work, this is where I always want to go, lol.

I have been pretty much all over the world, but the "vast reaches of British Columbia" are the most beautiful that I have seen. Despite the drawbacks, I wouldn't want to be without some means of communication - especially there. I lost a bag of medicine in Destruction Bay. Someone turned it in to the RCMP who called the pharmacy and got my home phone number. After frightening the be-jeepers out of my wife to get a call from the Mounties while I was away on a bike trip in Canada, the nice Mountie told her his mission to reconnect me with my meds. She looked at the Spot tracker and told him I was at a particular motel in Haines Junction. He said that the motel was just across the street from his barracks and he walked them over.

I have been pretty much all over the world, but the "vast reaches of British Columbia" are the most beautiful that I have seen. Despite the drawbacks, I wouldn't want to be without some means of communication - especially there. I lost a bag of medicine in Destruction Bay. Someone turned it in to the RCMP who called the pharmacy and got my home phone number. After frightening the be-jeepers out of my wife to get a call from the Mounties while I was away on a bike trip in Canada, the nice Mountie told her his mission to reconnect me with my meds. She looked at the Spot tracker and told him I was at a particular motel in Haines Junction. He said that the motel was just across the street from his barracks and he walked them over.

Dammit, after a cool story like that, I must give pause for thought lol!

Dammit, after a cool story like that, I must give pause for thought lol!

My mother over-reacts to the data as you are predicting that yours will. I often wondered whether she was better or worse off with the information. She would get out maps, scour the internet for local news and weather, and then mentally take the ride with me. In the end, I decided that she needed to know. If it is not the same in your case, you do have the liberty of who you give the tracking links to. If I had never told my mom that the information was available she would have never known and my wife could have used it discreetly.

Moms are moms all over the world! LOL

After all, who would be alive without them?

So I put some flashing LEDs on the rear of the bike today and guess what I used every tool in the tool pouch provided by Honda. That's right all two, the fuse puller and screwdriver. :D

So I put some flashing LEDs on the rear of the bike today and guess what I used every tool in the tool pouch provided by Honda. That's right all two, the fuse puller and screwdriver. :D

LOL. So the toolbox is small in size but big in utility!

Back