• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tool bag?

IMHO, the quality is poor, at least the tools that I got with the bike (tools are OEM in European bikes), it is best to spend the money in some good tools shop.

What I can confirm so far is that you don't need any other tool to do any of the operations described in the owner's manual, with the only exception of a 17 mm Allen for the front axle and a very fine Philips screwdriver for the screw in the radiator cap.

Curiosity: I have never found a 13 mm bolt in any bike manufactured in Japan

IMHO, the quality is poor, at least the tools that I got with the bike (tools are OEM in European bikes), it is best to spend the money in some good tools shop.

What I can confirm so far is that you don't need any other tool to do any of the operations described in the owner's manual, with the only exception of a 17 mm Allen for the front axle and a very fine Philips screwdriver for the screw in the radiator cap.

Curiosity: I have never found a 13 mm bolt in any bike manufactured in Japan

I have some MotionPro titanium combination wrenches that I carry. They only Honda tools I bought were the 22 and 27 mm eye wrenches, the handle, and the plug wrench. I wear my 13mm wrenches out on the BMW. In place of a large 17mm hex wrench I carry a short piece of 17mm hex stock that will fit into a 17mm box end or ratchet wrench. Alternatively, you can take a 10mm x 40 bolt and load it up with 10mm nuts having a 17mm hex.

I too got one of the full tool kits. In my opinion leave it there in the bike (poor quality). Use of nice tool at home in the workshop is the only place we should be working. Like many people here i like tinkering. I do the jobs that i know that i am capable of. I am not interested in fixing bikes on the side of the road. That is why i bought new bike. If it breaks while i am out on a ride, phone/credit card and trailer is good with me. The BMW's that I bought (K1200s and K1300s) a few years back had 1 screw driver clipped in place under the seat!

If anyone is having trouble finding a 17mm hex for the front axle, the current (December) edition of Motorcyclist magazine has a Harbor Freight ad with a coupon for a hex bit socket set. If it is the same as the one I previously bought from them, the largest size in the set is 17mm. It's typical Harbor Freight stuff but the socket set works really well when you need to use a torque wrench on a hex fitting.

Bob

So we now know what we are not getting in the U.S., has anyone bought or priced the European tool kit for this bike?

My dealer told me the whole kit (all the tools, etc., that are in the European & Canadian kits/bikes) would be ~$35 (I don't recall the exact figure), so I had them get me one. Should be here Friday, they thought.

If anyone is having trouble finding a 17mm hex for the front axle...

Just go to your local metal supply shop and ask for a piece of 11/16" (17.46 millimeter) hex shaft. If the guys expect more than a coffee for it they're ripping you off. It's the same size as my V-Strom and it works great.

If anyone is having trouble finding a 17mm hex for the front axle, the current (December) edition of Motorcyclist magazine has a Harbor Freight ad with a coupon for a hex bit socket set. If it is the same as the one I previously bought from them, the largest size in the set is 17mm. It's typical Harbor Freight stuff but the socket set works really well when you need to use a torque wrench on a hex fitting.

Bob

Vim Products HM-17MM 1/2" Drive 17mm Hex Bit on eBay!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00946666000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=30-86300927-2

I wish I could get a factory took kit like that pictured to have on my bike. I don't see why they can't sell these for $20 and still make a nice profit.

My dealer came through with the 'rest' of the kit (like Europe and Canada get). They're not Snap-on nor Craftsman, but they're perfectly adequate to the tasks and tiny footprint needed for space conservation and 'emergency' repairs at the side of the road. I'm happy with this for my needs. For an extended ride or solo trip, I may throw in a few of my other tools.

Doing the maintenance is part of the hobby for me - at first out of economic necessity and now by preference. It may be different across the pond, but the techs here (general statement) are not that well trained and don't take much care in their work. I have known good bike techs and if you could ask for them by name you might get what you pay for. When I rechecked the delivery set-up of my 700x it had a number of small problems that indicate a lack of care. The coolant was low, the oil was overfilled, the tire pressures were off and the battery strap was not connected and the clock was not set. These are not "skill" issues, these are "care" issues. My skills and tools are decent, but the key is that no one cares about my bike like I do. It is my life on the line if it does not perform properly.

I agree. Anything I can do on my bike I do myself, and know it is done properly.

Back