• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Things I have noticed so far about Honda and the NC

jmzd4

Reaction score
Visit site
The only bikes I have had were Hondas (the local Honda dealer loves me). And every time I had the opportunity to get a new one I would get on the forum boards for that particular bike. One thing I have noticed on all of the forums is that the stock Honda seats are crap, they are just way too hard. For instance the seat for the MSX125/Grom is just pure crap. The bike was super fun to ride but it was just too uncomfortable to be on for any length of time. I took the Grom up to the Dragon one weekend and did a 275 mile ride up there and by mile 50 it was just painful. Since I plan on having this bike for a long time the seat is something I will have to mod or replace with an aftermarket seat.

Another thing that I notice is that one of the first mods everyone makes is the exhaust. Honda really does make fugly exhausts, but I like the way they sound, and I really really like the way the NC sounds. I'm in a dilemma about the exhaust, but a few things are for sure, the levers need to go (only the brake is adjustable), the stock wind screen needs to go (way too short).

One thing that I love is that the NC has a gear indicator. All the other bikes I have owned never had one and I was always trying to go up another gear. Now I don't have that worry:D. The NC is definitely more of work horse than the other bikes, it seems to be geared lower with more torque. I like that, as I'm not trying to go fast and kill myself.

that's all for now.

Many people like the seats. The ones you most frequently see are the ones riding long distances - and you see them a lot because they are active on the forum doing the daily ride reports. Yes, the seat on the NC is not the best for many people but if you did a survey I bet they number of custom seats is a lot lower than you think.

I don't agree with the statement about the muffler - at least for the NC. I don't see many muffler replacements around here, even on highly modified bikes. I actually think the muffler looks good (especially on the 2016's) and I think it sounds good (fitting with the style/purpose of the bike).

I think the most modded thing I have seen on the NC is the windshield... but that is so variable based on the rider that it should almost be an automatic choice on purchase based on rider height. Luggage is also added a lot - again, depending on usage. Also, seems to be a lot of handlebar risers too - again based on rider height.

Overall, I think of mods as pretty much mandatory and expected and doesn't mean the bike is not good or well equiped. They design it for the lowest common denominator and can't fit every need or body type. Go on any bike forum and everyone does it. Harley's are a perfect example but check out Goldwings sometime. Noone has a stock one.

Yeah, never seen a motorcycle forum where mods aren't a big part of the mix. but I've ridden a lot of miles on mine already with only one mod that I've done (lifting front of seat ~3/4" and adding a Sit & Fly seat cover for $20), and it's indicated what I desire to change, but none of it's really crucial to enjoying a 250-375 mile day, so it'll wait or happen slowly. Except for a bit of luggage anyway, until it's time for new adventure/dualsport-oriented tires that'll make off-pavement riding a bigger part of my mix.

And I gotta say, both from other motorcyclists and civilians, I get tons of interest, especially in Glacier NP which is having a peak season with tons of touring riders and cagers, and where I get a few rides in every now and again. People are really intrigued!

The clutch has a rather small engagement range. Some slop can be added with the cable adjuster to move the engagement point closer to the handle bar without dragging the clutch when squeezing the clutch lever.

I notice ( dct) that my low speed maneuvers are a little clumsy with no clutch to feather.

IMHO....The seat is ok. I'm a bicyclist to so my *** is conditioned to uncomfortable seats. I have never changed exhaust on a bike, I like them quiet. That said I wouldn't mind a little more noise. I also like the looks of the stock muffler.

The clutch has a rather small engagement range. Some slop can be added with the cable adjuster to move the engagement point closer to the handle bar without dragging the clutch when squeezing the clutch lever.

I actually like the clutch on the NC, its just the levers that I can't stand. I think that its combo of ergonomics and aesthetics.

got no trouble with the clutch, but I could use some adjustable levers

I didn't say the dct was bad, just that I am not skilled with it at low speeds yet. I understand the technique - keep rpm up and foot brake some.

People keep asking me about my BMW. Must be the panniers.

Now That's funny. Last week a guy walked up to me and told me he liked my BMW. I dismissed it and thought the guy just knew little about motorcycles, but with your story, maybe the NC (I have the 2016 model) has more BMW DNA than it seems...

Last edited:
I have a better one. I was riding my 750 Nighthawk with its army surplus mermite can panniers and was passed by a couple of BMW's. At a later turnout, i was talking with one of those riders. He said he didn't recognize the model of BMW i was riding. When i let him know it was a honda, he said that he thought only BMW's had aluminum panniers.
leaderopack_zpsb237d7ee.jpg

Back