• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Riding to work

I ride everyday here in Seattle,I even have a sidecar rig for the snow.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362530735.435507.jpg

I ride in rain about 6,000-8,000 miles a year..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riding to work is such a foreign concept to me. I drive a company provided vehicle (4 wheels) hauling tools and parts, which I garage at home. In the 34.5 years I've had this job, it has never been possible of feasible to "ride to work". Such a shame. Does that mean I'm a Pussy?

Greg

Yes it does

I ride my Scooter to work a lot, but the cold and the slow ride has kept me from doing that as much as I would like. But, with getting the NC (tonight) I will be riding every day that I can.

I ride everyday here in Seattle,I even have a sidecar rig for the snow.
I ride in rain about 6,000-8,000 miles a year..

Then I'm a pussy. Can't imagine riding in that much rain? Are you talking about torrential thunderstorms like we have down here sometimes. I bought rain gear (we get 45"-50" annually), but was hoping I wouldn't have to use it all that much.

If you mean the kind of rain that HURTS when it hits you at 70mph thru full gear with pads then yes sometimes!!.

Work? I have heard that term, but have no recent knowledge of what it means. So I just ride for fun and save the 4-wheelers for when the SO is along.

I'll be doing the swap from car to bike myself soon as I get my bike (this saturday hopefully), but being Scotland I will most likely get a really cheap car at the end of summer for when the snow and frost starts. All my gear is 'wet weather' gear, as it is a fair assumption that a lot of my riding will be in the rain.

Work? I have heard that term, but have no recent knowledge of what it means. So I just ride for fun and save the 4-wheelers for when the SO is along.

Sadly many people in the UK can make the same statement. Not because they have retired or been redundant but because they haven't bothered to start choosing rather to live off state benifits paid for by those of us that do work

Sadly many people in the UK can make the same statement. Not because they have retired or been redundant but because they haven't bothered to start choosing rather to live off state benifits paid for by those of us that do work

majority of them are foreigners.

majority of them are foreigners.

The tradition of immigration in the UK - immigrants come in to do the jobs the locals won't do. Then the locals complain about foreigners taking all the jobs. Then if some foreigners end up on benefits (the UK benfits system is incredibly complicated and stupid and open to all, no matter how little they've contributed) the locals complain the foreigners are taking all the beneifts.

In recent years when visiting the UK most of the working people I've met have been from Eastern Europe.

originally the idea is that if you paid enough into the system then you get benefits but only for so long.
now its indefinitely regardless how much you paid in.
personally all those who are able and on benefits should be made to do some work and if they refuse then benefit is cut.
this was labour government idea to all this free hand out to all foreigners.
when I got made redundant 3 years ago I couldn't get any thing other than the basic dole(£67.23p aweek) and only for 6 months.
I had to attend seminars ..discussions on how to get a job and that was a load of bollocks and told them so.
they said 40,000 jobs are available every day mostly down south and pay was around £7 hr.
I said do you think I'm going up root and move down south for £7 hr, it'll cost me more in fees and getting another mortgage,are you lot going to pay for that??
once the money stopped I still had to attend so I told them to stick it up there ass..you must mr mackay or your stamps won't be paid.
I said I'll pay my own stamps.
I got talking to a polish lad(seems pleasant enough)and he was getting £125 a week on the dole which £60 was in food vouchers and £65 in cash.
and he only worked for 9 months till he got laid off. not to mention when he came here he got £200 to buy new cloths!
it doesn't make sense I worked for 40 years and that is all I got a measly £67.23p aweek and him twice as much for 9 months work.

My wife had a car to go to work in but for thirty years all I had was a motorcycle. so I rode to work rain or shine sick or well, snow, sleet, hurricanes, etc. Loved it, but sometimes it was no fun, like when was 3 degrees F.

If you mean the kind of rain that HURTS when it hits you at 70mph thru full gear with pads then yes sometimes!!.

Haven't been there yet.... No, I meant the kind of rain that has EVERYBODY (even the cagers in big SUVs) driving about 20-30 mph max on the freeways. I'd be looking for an off-ramp myself. Besides, here's a newbie question: how could you not be sucking water into your intake during a downpour like that?

Last edited:
I don't know about the NC but other bikes I have had,the intakes were behind or under the seat or tank and routed such that water didn't get to them.

Ok, so I've been out for 2 days this week riding to work. I haven't missed a lot of days this winter BUT the last three weeks have been somewhat of a 'late' winter. I'm excited to ride again. Since getting the NC and getting on this forum I have seen people come and go so quickly with the NC. I mean, I am new to this, but I find that the NC is PERFECT for my commuting. With the front trunk and my Givi Trekkers, I have MORE than enough room for everything I carry to and from work. I just can't see me wanting anything else to replace this as a commuter. The riding position is very comfortable and the gearing and short shifting is amazing for gas mileage. I get paid 50 Cents and mile and I am using about 6 cents (in GAS ALONE, I understand there is wear and tear). Do I like the looks of other, more classic, bikes better, yes...but to pack with stuff and use from day to day, the NC is the shizzle!

As soon as you say your bike is " Perfect " you might as well start looking for a new one !!.hehehehe

Ok, so I've been out for 2 days this week riding to work. I haven't missed a lot of days this winter BUT the last three weeks have been somewhat of a 'late' winter. I'm excited to ride again. Since getting the NC and getting on this forum I have seen people come and go so quickly with the NC. I mean, I am new to this, but I find that the NC is PERFECT for my commuting. With the front trunk and my Givi Trekkers, I have MORE than enough room for everything I carry to and from work. I just can't see me wanting anything else to replace this as a commuter. The riding position is very comfortable and the gearing and short shifting is amazing for gas mileage. I get paid 50 Cents and mile and I am using about 6 cents (in GAS ALONE, I understand there is wear and tear). Do I like the looks of other, more classic, bikes better, yes...but to pack with stuff and use from day to day, the NC is the shizzle!

Yeah, this is the first full week that I have rode mine to work. Installed the Givi E55 topcase last weekend so I'd have enough room for the rain gear, etc.... Even took a picture of it out in the parking lot before I walked in.

bikephoto.jpg

Back