• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

replacing clutch cable

ivenhoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
after 30k miles my clutch cable is falling apart slowly,
do I need to remove side fairing panel to put new one?
or it's possible to slide it in somehow?
thanks

I went to look at my bike in the hopes of helping you out, but found that it didn't have a clutch. Hmmm... not going to be much help here.
(sorry...I know others thought of doing this, but I couldn't resist)

Good luck with your repairs. I am sure someone will be a LOT more help than I!! Feel free to throw rocks at me...

Don (DCT)

I think I remember someone attaching the new cable to the old one and pulling it through that way.

Hopefully they see this thread if so. Good luck.

I think I remember someone attaching the new cable to the old one and pulling it through that way.

I have been able to pull a new cable through by attaching the old to the new. There is probably a cable tie on the right lower frame tube under the covers just before the cable exits down below. It’s the luck of the draw as to whether the cable end will slide through. If they don’t, well you’ll have to loosen up or remove the right side panel.

I went to look at my bike in the hopes of helping you out, but found that it didn't have a clutch. Hmmm... not going to be much help here.
(sorry...I know others thought of doing this, but I couldn't resist)

Good luck with your repairs. I am sure someone will be a LOT more help than I!! Feel free to throw rocks at me...

Don (DCT)

Don, you get dual rocks thrown at you because you said your bike didn’t have a clutch. I recon it has two!

Check and see if the barrel on the end of the cable (at the handlebar) is clean and greased. If that barrel remains stationary or semi-stationary due to crud and lack of lube, it forces the braided wire to bend every time you pull the clutch level and eventually it was cause individual strands of wire to break.

Check and see if the barrel on the end of the cable (at the handlebar) is clean and greased. If that barrel remains stationary or semi-stationary due to crud and lack of lube, it forces the braided wire to bend every time you pull the clutch level and eventually it was cause individual strands of wire to break.

yeah, but cable broke at the other end :)

thanks for tip, that's what I just did and went OK without removing panel.
Now I have to adjust this new cable.

Back