• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Help Clutch problems

ash.nc700x

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi I have a 2012 NC700XA with 47k miles runs perfectly but the clutch was slipping badly I went to 2 different shops and they looked at it and said it needs a clutch as they couldn't get it working correctly so I bought a clutch and fitted it myself but now I am at the stage where the clutch is brand new and new springs but the adjuster is all the way out and is only just engaging the clutch very slightly. I am lost on this one no idea what it could be myself?
Thanks
Ash

Hi I have a 2012 NC700XA with 47k miles runs perfectly but the clutch was slipping badly I went to 2 different shops and they looked at it and said it needs a clutch as they couldn't get it working correctly so I bought a clutch and fitted it myself but now I am at the stage where the clutch is brand new and new springs but the adjuster is all the way out and is only just engaging the clutch very slightly. I am lost on this one no idea what it could be myself?
Thanks
Ash
There was a similar problem/story reported recently on the forum. The issue was traced to an assembly mistake or omission involving washers (or something). If you installed the clutch yourself, you may want to compare the assembly versus illustrated parts diagrams or the shop manual.

You made no mention of the clutch cable or lever. Are those items ruled out as causing clutch control or slippage issues?

I once had a slipping clutch on a manual NC700. The clutch failed because I damaged it getting myself down a mud forest road. I replaced the clutch plates only and the problem was solved.

There was a similar problem/story reported recently on the forum. The issue was traced to an assembly mistake or omission involving washers (or something). If you installed the clutch yourself, you may want to compare the assembly versus illustrated parts diagrams or the shop manual.

You made no mention of the clutch cable or lever. Are those items ruled out as causing clutch control or slippage issues?

I once had a slipping clutch on a manual NC700. The clutch failed because I damaged it getting myself down a mud forest road. I replaced the clutch plates only and the problem was solved.
I replaced it myself putting it back together the way it came apart as far as I know. The lever is the original one and so is the cable. I have ordered a new cable just waiting until I get it through the post (I don't think this is the problem but I may as well do it while it's off the road) I am hoping that I didn't install it wrong. Where would I find some instructions for this? Just to check if I have indeed done it correctly. This is my first clutch replacement on a motorbike. Done many on cars but never a bike until last week.

...Where would I find some instructions for this? Just to check if I have indeed done it correctly. This is my first clutch replacement on a motorbike. Done many on cars but never a bike until last week.
The instructions appear to still be available in the first versions of service manuals published before licensing restrictions were introduced. In some cases, incorrect information is provided.
To reduce the file size, I extracted pages that may be of interest to you.

Attachments

• 2012 Clutch.pdf
    851 KB · Views: 19
Could you post pics or a short video showing the problem? It might just be a matter of cable adjustment.

I have figured it out on the diagram it shows 3 washers behind the big 27mm nut and I saw 2 so I put the remaining washer I had on there and tightened it all up. What I didn't realise is that there was the correct amount and I put the top of the bearing race in there so it was incorrectly spaced. In the diagram it doesn't show this. Now I have had it apart again it's now working perfectly like new as it should do with the new clutch. I can't believe it was a very simple mistake. I watch the only video I could find on YouTube which was unfortunately in Turkish but I just watched what he did and I did the same as him with the bearing washer in the correct place and it all works spot on now. Thanks for all the input

Attachments

• IMG_20240205_144937.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 12.png
    12.png
    275.2 KB · Views: 16
Thank you for following up with your fix details. Someone else on the forum may benefit from you sharing your experience.

Hello I have a similar problem of clutch slipping on my 2018 model. What exactly do I have to replace inaddition to the clutch plates.

Hello I have a similar problem of clutch slipping on my 2018 model. What exactly do I have to replace inaddition to the clutch plates.
If you want to replace the clutch plates on a manual transmission NC, you will also need a gasket maker sealant for the clutch housing cover. There is no physical gasket, just the sealant. Honda suggests ThreeBond 1207B.

You’ll also need a clutch holder tool. There are aftermarket options for the tool.

18622F41-CC4F-4408-B205-F0C52AC72676.jpeg

Last edited:
If you want to replace the clutch plates on a manual transmission NC, you will also need a gasket maker sealant for the clutch housing cover. There is no physical gasket, just the sealant. Honda suggests ThreeBond 1207B.

You’ll also need a clutch holder tool. There are aftermarket options for the tool.

View attachment 53789
Hi you say a clutch holder tool? What is that I did it just with my normal tools nothing special my impact some sockets and a torque rench . It's an easy job.

This is the video I watched I have no idea what he is saying but watch what he does and he explains well. You will understand when you watch the video

Hi you say a clutch holder tool? What is that I did it just with my normal tools nothing special my impact some sockets and a torque rench . It's an easy job.

This is the video I watched I have no idea what he is saying but watch what he does and he explains well. You will understand when you watch the video

I can’t speak for the method or procedure used in the video. If that works for you, use it. I followed the clutch servicing procedure in the Honda service manual.

I wouldn't complain about the 30 second DCT initialization procedure once in a while. No special tools needed :D

I wouldn't complain about the 30 second DCT initialization procedure once in a while. No special tools needed :D
Are you suggesting that the 30 second DCT initialization procedure would correct problems brought on by improper oil use, as in Mr. Commuter’s case? As I understand, for a similar situation on a DCT, Honda recommends replacement of the entire dual clutch assembly. I don’t know what tools that procedure requires.

Back