• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Overfilled Oil... HELP?!

I put a short 2"x4" under my side stand, bike almost sits vertical, I do this to check my oil, works great for me

dip sticks are not intended to be an accurate measuring tool. they are really for check to see if there is oil present in the crank case. if you put the stick in and are unable to touch any oil, then you don't know. you need to correct this now. if your over full on water cooled bike you need to find out why before correcting it. this could mean you have water from the cooling system coming in. keep it between the marks and don't worry. I can never remember having to add oil to any of my Hondas. I still check em though.

I should be Shot !!!! My X now has over 5000 on the clock,,,and as all real men never read owners manuals and I always check my oil on the Center stand.."when I get round to it"...Anyway I was tinkering as you do,,and happened to look at the oil level on the side stand,,,it was near as dammit empty,,,O my god!!!! I now realize the oil should be check on the side stand...anyway I put in a full litre...No ill affects ... phil

I should be Shot !!!! My X now has over 5000 on the clock,,,and as all real men never read owners manuals and I always check my oil on the Center stand.."when I get round to it"...Anyway I was tinkering as you do,,and happened to look at the oil level on the side stand,,,it was near as dammit empty,,,O my god!!!! I now realize the oil should be check on the side stand...anyway I put in a full litre...No ill affects ... phil

Read the owner's manual quick. You've probably seriously overfilled it. The oil check process is really strange. Instead of with the engine fairly cold so that all the oil-s drained into the sump you're supposed to have run the engine for 3 :to 5 minutes at least, switched it off and waited for a couple of minutes then to check the oil level with the bike held in a vertical position on level ground. Extract from manual here:

1. If the engine is cold, idle the engine for 3
to 5 minutes.
2. Turn the ignition switch off, stop the
engine and wait 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Place your motorcycle in an upright
position on a firm, level surface.
4. Remove the oil fill cap/dipstick and wipe it
clean.
5. Insert the oil fill cap/dipstick until it seats,
but don’t screw it in.
Check that the oil level is between the
upper and lower level marks in the oil fill
cap/dipstick.
6. Securely install the oil fill cap/dipstick

Oil is to be checked with motorcycle vertical, not leaning on side stand. You should check it properly and probably remove the excess oil you put in.

Greg

I put a short 2"x4" under my side stand, bike almost sits vertical, I do this to check my oil, works great for me
This is the method that I have used on all my bikes for over 40 years. Doesn't matter if they had a dip stick or an oil sight glass. It is always accurate. Center stand method, not so much!
"Your results may vary"

indeed I had overfilled it ,,I tried to drain from the sump to take out some,but plug too tight for bike tool kit,,,so I bought a little pump and took out a mug full or so!!!,,, I must say I was abit of a jerk not reading the manual,,but in my opinion,,,Honda could have made it alot easier,,,what a par-lava just checking the oil!!!!

Back