• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Low Oil Pressure Light

Juan_Banjovy

Reaction score
Visit site
Came on today when I started it. And stayed on. Turned it off & checked the oil level. After my last ride it was still 1/2 quart from topped off. Now it was just touching the bottom of the dip stick. I added a quart, checked the level & started it again. Got the low oil pressure light again & it stayed on after idling a minute so I turned off the engine. I just changed the oil & filter a few weeks ago & rode it a few times. 2014 Honda NC700X. Ideas what would cause this? Update: Where is the oil pressure sensor located? I've priced them online & they're probably cheaper than the service manual so I'll try that first. Dealer is closed until Tuesday. Service manual may have to wait until pay day.

Last edited:
Came on today when I started it. And stayed on. Turned it off & checked the oil level. After my last ride it was still 1/2 quart from topped off. Now it was just touching the bottom of the dip stick. I added a quart, checked the level & started it again. Got the low oil pressure light again & it stayed on after idling a minute so I turned off the engine. I just changed the oil & filter a few weeks ago & rode it a few times. 2014 Honda NC700X. Ideas what would cause this? Update: Where is the oil pressure sensor located? I've priced them online & they're probably cheaper than the service manual so I'll try that first. Dealer is closed until Tuesday. Service manual may have to wait until pay day.
Like Alias posted, the EOP sensor is adjacent to the oil filter. It's directly above the filter and covered in a rubber boot. I would appreciate an update on this when you get it sorted. AFAIK this is the first mention of an oil pressure alert or problem on an NC motor. Hopefully the switch connector in the boot was simply dislodged when the filter was R & R last time.

Last edited:
... checked the oil level. After my last ride it was still 1/2 quart from topped off. Now it was just touching the bottom of the dip stick. I added a quart, checked the level & started it again. Got the low oil pressure light again ...
From what you're saying, I understand that you are losing oil at an accelerated rate.
"After my last ride it was still 1/2 quart from topped off. Now it was just touching the bottom of the dip stick."
This is a very large oil loss. Where did the oil go?

There is a proper method of checking oil and checking directly after a ride is incorrect. Proper method from the service manual....cold engine, start engine and idle for 3-5 minutes, turn off engine, wait 2-3 minutes, check dipstick, bike must be horizontal and not on side stand. Page 3-12 of service manual. This is for the 2012-2013 and I think the 2014 is the same.

Oddly I didn't see a puddle under the bike so I don't know what happened to that other 1/2 quart. Maybe last time I forgot & screwed in the dipstick. I got a new oil filter today & intended to put it on & start it but I need to roll it out of the garage for more room to work. It rained today until night so I'll do that tomorrow. Also disconnected one battery cable in case that resets something. I'll clean the connection that plugs onto the oil pressure sensor. My dealer doesn't open until Tuesday. New sensor is about $65 new online but local may be quicker if in stock.

First, check whether the difference in checking the oil level is your mistake or something more serious. I don't want to suggest a reason. I think the mechanic will have no trouble determining the reason.

Oddly I didn't see a puddle under the bike so I don't know what happened to that other 1/2 quart. Maybe last time I forgot & screwed in the dipstick. I got a new oil filter today & intended to put it on & start it but I need to roll it out of the garage for more room to work. It rained today until night so I'll do that tomorrow. Also disconnected one battery cable in case that resets something. I'll clean the connection that plugs onto the oil pressure sensor. My dealer doesn't open until Tuesday. New sensor is about $65 new online but local may be quicker if in stock.
I’m curious about your plan to replace the oil filter again, having just done it a few weeks ago. An oil filter should last 16,000 miles. What are you thinking, that it’s defective?

I’m curious about your plan to replace the oil filter again, having just done it a few weeks ago. An oil filter should last 16,000 miles. What are you thinking, that it’s defective?
I'm thinking it might be a defective filter. I thought I would try that first since a new oil pressure sensor is about $65.

The wire that goes to the oil pressure sensor broke off. It's dangling. I don't know if it can be prepared. Not willing replace the entire wiring harness for $765.54. View attachment 53232
Note to self: be careful removing/installing oil filter as the EOP switch is nearby and could get damaged. I’ve been lucky so far.

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t away to mend that connection without the need to buy any parts or harness.

Ok I got under it & removed the sensor. Had to remove the oil filter & coolant overflow tank. Good news is the wire didn't break. It got knocked off by maybe a rock or something. It's chipped but still useable. Also the rubber sleeve on the plug in part is ripped. I'm going to plug it in & glue it in place with high temperature glue & tomorrow put the oil filter & coolant tank back on, top off the oil level again & start it up. The pic shows the sensor on bottom & the plug above it. Image.jpeg

Ok I got under it & removed the sensor. Had to remove the oil filter & coolant overflow tank. Good news is the wire didn't break. It got knocked off by maybe a rock or something. It's chipped but still useable. Also the rubber sleeve on the plug in part is ripped. I'm going to plug it in & glue it in place with high temperature glue & tomorrow put the oil filter & coolant tank back on, top off the oil level again & start it up. The pic shows the sensor on bottom & the plug above it. View attachment 53234
I guess its the best bad news you could get. Seems like an uncomplicated repair and I hope it works out!

Back